Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:04:18 am

Author Topic: Discovery Related Texts - Suggestions  (Read 129642 times)

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
Re: Discovery Related Texts - Suggestions
« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2018, 11:32:59 pm »
Oh ok, thankyou! Also I've written an essay based on a particular question, my core text and my first related text, Boy in the Striped Pajamas. And I was wondering whether you believe that I should write a general essay on my core text and my second related text, The thing around your neck? Thanks,
You definitely should! Then get people to compare them, and decide on whichever one is better, and that you enjoy talking about!
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

Christine2468

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #136 on: January 13, 2018, 07:46:06 pm »
Oh ok, thanks also sorry, I was wondering if it was possible to message or PM a marker my first, Boy in the Striped Pajamas essay, as I don't necessarily feel comfortable posting my essay on a forum? Thanks,
You definitely should! Then get people to compare them, and decide on whichever one is better, and that you enjoy talking about!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 08:46:54 pm by Christine2468 »

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #137 on: January 13, 2018, 08:49:53 pm »
Hey!

So I am currently in the process of writing my AOS Essay and have found the related text I want to do. It's J.K. Rowling's Speech "The Fringe Benefits of Failure and the Importance of Imagination".

Recently I discovered it is on the Standard English Module C prescribed text list and I understand we can't use prescribed texts as our ORT (well at least at my school we aren't). However, it is a prescribed text for the new HSC English Syllabus not the current one we are studying.

Do you think I can still use it because technically that syllabus isn't implemented for our year?

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 08:52:54 pm by emilyygeorgexx »
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #138 on: January 13, 2018, 08:50:32 pm »
Oh ok, thanks also sorry, I was wondering if I could message or PM you or another marker my first, Boy in the Striped Pajamas essay, as I don't necessarily feel comfortable posting my essay on a forum? Thanks,
Sure! don't know when i'll get the chance to look at it though, but you certainly can. i also am not the best with marking english essays, but i'll try my best!
Some other people i can recconmend PMing it too are elysepopplewell and opengangs both of them i cannot recconmend highly enough for marking!  :)
Be sure to send it to them to. Also, when you do, make sure you mention that i directed you to them and you have an essay you'd like marked.
Can i also ask, why do you not feel comfortable posting your essay on the forum, if you don't mind me asking? :)

Hey!

So I am currently in the process of writing my AOS Essay and have found the related text I want to do. It's J.K. Rowling's Speech "The Fringe Benefits of Failure and the Importance of Imagination".

Recently I discovered it is on the Standard English Module C prescribed text list and I understand we can't use prescribed texts as our ORT. However, it is a prescribed text for the new HSC English Syllabus not the current one we are studying.

Do you think I can still use it because technically that syllabus isn't implemented for our year?

Thanks!!
Don't quote me word for word on this but, im guessing most of the hsc markers will already know this is a perscribed text in the new syllabus.
Also, there's no rule that says you cannot use texts perscribed from other modules as related texts, just thats its not highly recconmended.
this link may also help to answer your question!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 08:58:21 pm by Mada438 »
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

Christine2468

• Adventurer
« Reply #139 on: January 13, 2018, 08:58:34 pm »
Oh ok and sure, thankyou!! Also, its mainly due to plagarism, in terms of being asked whether I plagarised and another student using the particular essay.
 Thanks,
Sure! don't know when i'll get the chance to look at it though, but you certainly can. i also am not the best with marking english essays, but i'll try my best!
Some other people i can recconmend PMing it too are elysepopplewell and opengangs both of them i cannot recconmend highly enough for marking!  :)
Be sure to send it to them to. Also, when you do, make sure you mention that i directed you to them and you have an essay you'd like marked.
Can i also ask, why do you not feel comfortable posting your essay on the forum, if you don't mind me asking? :)

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #140 on: January 13, 2018, 09:03:25 pm »

Don't quote me word for word on this but, im guessing most of the hsc markers will already know this is a perscribed text in the new syllabus.
Also, there's no rule that says you cannot use texts perscribed from other modules as related texts, just thats its not highly recconmended.
this link may also help to answer your question!

Ah thanks! I just don't want to spend my time writing an essay if I know I can't use it as a related text. My school has a strict policy against using any related texts from the prescribed list for any module. I've seen a few others use the same RT on here as me so maybe it might be okay???

I might wait for some other opinions and see what people say :)
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #141 on: January 13, 2018, 11:27:18 pm »
Hey!

Recently I discovered it is on the Standard English Module C prescribed text list and I understand we can't use prescribed texts as our ORT (well at least at my school we aren't). However, it is a prescribed text for the new HSC English Syllabus not the current one we are studying.

Thanks!!

You can definitely 100% use this text, and the fact that it will be prescribed in the future would suggest that it is a good choice! ;D

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #142 on: January 15, 2018, 10:01:42 am »
Hello  :) just wondering if anyone could help me on what Frost poem would link best with the short story 'The Story of an Hour'?? I tend to think that Home Burial links in some ways but I just need a second opinion...
Thanks heaps!
Does anyone have any ideas on this?
Thanks...

cnimm2000

• Trailblazer
« Reply #143 on: January 20, 2018, 11:35:42 pm »
Hey guys,
For my related text i keep going back and forth. There is one text that i was thinking about using which is the novel To kill a Mockingbird. I just wanted to ask if anyone had any thoughts about this text and any recommendations

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #144 on: January 21, 2018, 08:46:31 am »
+1
Hey guys,
For my related text i keep going back and forth. There is one text that i was thinking about using which is the novel To kill a Mockingbird. I just wanted to ask if anyone had any thoughts about this text and any recommendations
Personally, i've never read "to kill a mockingbird". But choosing a related text is definitely a very personal choice. Ask yourself: Do you thoroughly enjoy this book? Do you think you will enjoy studying it in depth? Will studying it too much bore you and cause you to loose intrest?
If you answered yes to the first two, and no to the last one, then this is probably a good text to use.
Also consider your perscribed. Is it a story? If it is then doing a story for a related isn't the best way to go. It is usually best to do two different contrasting text types (E.g my perscribed was the tempest, a play so i did a short story as a related).
If you're still stuck for ideas, then the list at the beginning of this thread would be a good place to start. You can find that Here

Hope this helps!  :)

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #145 on: January 21, 2018, 04:22:22 pm »
Hi...

Is it acceptable to have a TV show episode as a related text? I have a gut feeling that it is either not allowed/not a good idea, but there are so many TV shows I can think of that would link in really well with discovery... :-\
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #146 on: January 21, 2018, 04:25:22 pm »
+1
Hi...

Is it acceptable to have a TV show episode as a related text? I have a gut feeling that it is either not allowed/not a good idea, but there are so many TV shows I can think of that would link in really well with discovery... :-\
Hey,
Yep! Any medium can be used as a related text. Fun fact: I used a video game as my final related text.

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #147 on: January 21, 2018, 04:30:52 pm »
Hey,
Yep! Any medium can be used as a related text. Fun fact: I used a video game as my final related text.

Hi...
Sweet, thanks!
That's so cool about using a video game. What game was it?

And also, if I am going to do a TV show, should I stick to one episode, or one season, or something else?
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #148 on: January 21, 2018, 04:36:27 pm »
+1
Hi...
Sweet, thanks!
That's so cool about using a video game. What game was it?

And also, if I am going to do a TV show, should I stick to one episode, or one season, or something else?
Hey, yeah! It's very difficult to talk about a video game though which is why not many decide to use them haha. I used To the Moon, which is an exploration game about a final man's wish. It's beautiful!

Hm, I've never really thought about using a TV show but if the discovery theme is evident throughout the season, I'd choose to do a season's worth. You have more to explore as well!
Good luck with it though, would be interested to see how you structure your essay around a TV show! :D

cnimm2000

• Trailblazer
« Reply #149 on: January 21, 2018, 05:52:40 pm »
Personally, i've never read "to kill a mockingbird". But choosing a related text is definitely a very personal choice. Ask yourself: Do you thoroughly enjoy this book? Do you think you will enjoy studying it in depth? Will studying it too much bore you and cause you to loose intrest?
If you answered yes to the first two, and no to the last one, then this is probably a good text to use.
Also consider your perscribed. Is it a story? If it is then doing a story for a related isn't the best way to go. It is usually best to do two different contrasting text types (E.g my perscribed was the tempest, a play so i did a short story as a related).
If you're still stuck for ideas, then the list at the beginning of this thread would be a good place to start. You can find that Here

Hope this helps!  :)

Thanks for the help :)