Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:42:34 am

Author Topic: Related text  (Read 2472 times)  Share 

xwinnir

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Abbotsleigh
  • School Grad Year: 2017
Related text
« on: January 17, 2017, 03:03:18 pm »
I have checked the novel 'the perks of being a wallflower' with my teacher but she thinks it is not the strongest text to be analysed.

Any thoughts on 'extremely loud and incredibly close' and Tim Winton's novels 'Eyrie', 'dirt music' and 'the riders'?

Chosen to be analysed with two texts 'Fahrenheit 451' and 'motorcycle diaries'

Thank you!!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Related text
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 03:15:17 pm »
I have checked the novel 'the perks of being a wallflower' with my teacher but she thinks it is not the strongest text to be analysed.

Any thoughts on 'extremely loud and incredibly close' and Tim Winton's novels 'Eyrie', 'dirt music' and 'the riders'?

Thank you!!

Hey! Your teacher must be tough, 'Perks' is quite popular as an ORT, and although I didn't use it (I did the old AoS), I've always thought it would work really well based on my own reading for enjoyment!

Anyway, I have no personal experience with any of these texts, but I know Tim Winton's works are fantastic and Elyse (our resident Discovery expert) highly recommends several of his poems, including 'Distant Lands' and 'Neighbours,' as ORTs :) so, even without reading them, I'd say that those novels are likely to be strong candidates :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 05:56:47 pm »

Thank you!!

One of the reasons Tim Winton works so well is because his language is so simple, yet extremely packed with techniques. Essentially, his writing is so thoughtful. Everything is purposeful. Often when you read novels there are pages at a time that don't really give you lots to analyse as a student, and then you'll come across a passage that's like gold. But with Winton, the sentences are crafted very specifically, which makes analysing a breeze. I've read snippets of Eyrie and have really enjoyed it. I analysed some passages for Uni, I don't know much about the plot, so I can't relate it much to discovery. But, analysing it isn't too bad!

As Jamon said, I'm a huge Tim Winton short story fan. I mean, as a student and as a leisurely reader. He really just takes you places..

If you are interested in novels, though, and aren't deterred by the length, I've just started a new novel that is soooo beautiful to read - the voice the author creates is wonderful. It's called "Us" by David Nicholls. It's about a married couple with one son, told from the voice of the father/husband, and he's trying to save his marriage with a trip around Europe. I'm not finished it yet, but I can feel a lot of discovery happening. But, it is quite long so pick wisely... :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

xwinnir

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Abbotsleigh
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 04:19:46 am »

One of the reasons Tim Winton works so well is because his language is so simple, yet extremely packed with techniques. Essentially, his writing is so thoughtful. Everything is purposeful. Often when you read novels there are pages at a time that don't really give you lots to analyse as a student, and then you'll come across a passage that's like gold. But with Winton, the sentences are crafted very specifically, which makes analysing a breeze. I've read snippets of Eyrie and have really enjoyed it. I analysed some passages for Uni, I don't know much about the plot, so I can't relate it much to discovery. But, analysing it isn't too bad!

As Jamon said, I'm a huge Tim Winton short story fan. I mean, as a student and as a leisurely reader. He really just takes you places..

If you are interested in novels, though, and aren't deterred by the length, I've just started a new novel that is soooo beautiful to read - the voice the author creates is wonderful. It's called "Us" by David Nicholls. It's about a married couple with one son, told from the voice of the father/husband, and he's trying to save his marriage with a trip around Europe. I'm not finished it yet, but I can feel a lot of discovery happening. But, it is quite long so pick wisely... :)

I just bought the book 'extremely loud and incredibly close' as i watched the movie trailer and it seems like theres quite a lot to analyse. (Planning to do the novel) but i did some research on it and seems like there isnt as many people doing it...so there arent many resources to refer to.

Also, i would love to check on 'eyrie' but i dont think i have time to finish both books (im not a fast reader) and at the same time analysis them before school starts. How shd i choose??

There's also one text 'into the wild' that a lot of students choose in our school. Should I do that instead?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 09:12:03 am »
There's also one text 'into the wild' that a lot of students choose in our school. Should I do that instead?

Never choose a related text just because others are doing it. You have to find some 'connection' with it yourself, what some people can analyse easily and what works well with some peoples planned concepts might not work for others! ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 12:39:34 pm »
I just bought the book 'extremely loud and incredibly close' as i watched the movie trailer and it seems like theres quite a lot to analyse. (Planning to do the novel) but i did some research on it and seems like there isnt as many people doing it...so there arent many resources to refer to.

Also, i would love to check on 'eyrie' but i dont think i have time to finish both books (im not a fast reader) and at the same time analysis them before school starts. How shd i choose??

Don't stress so much about what other resources are out there for your related text - the resources available will only really be helpful in the initial stages of analysis by guiding you through the popular readings. In honesty, I think my analysis is always better when I don't use other resources at first, and dive in with my own analysis. When I've got solid grounds for writing an essay, then I'll see what else exists out there just in case there's something to add. If you aren't using other resources, your analysis will become far more mature and personalised without you really having to even aim for that "unique" voice - it'll come naturally.

I'd go with Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close if you already have that on hand - for no other reason than simply because you have it! :) You'll work out quickly if you need to abandon ship and if you do, pick up the Winton novel :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!