Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:29:54 am

Author Topic: HSC Earth & Environmental Question Thread  (Read 26896 times)  Share 

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
Re: Earth Question Thread
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2018, 09:31:26 pm »
+2
Hi :)
I was just wondering, in your opinion what would be the best way to study for earth and environment? Would it be plenty of past papers, palm cards, group study etc. I'm at a loss for the best way to tackle this course.
Thanks heaps  :)

Hey, so I didn't do EES but the course seems to be set out similarly to biology, and thus, hers what I reccomend - write out notes under each dot point to make sure the whole course is covered and you are familiar with all the content, do heaps of past papers/ questions and maybe even make some visual content and get creative (I know my friend's EES class made a timeline of the era thingies on a long piece of receipt paper) Doing study with a friend is also good so long as that friend is actually helpful and motivated to work (I used to do past papers with my bio buddy which was quite useful) so yeah, that's what worked for me in bio, and hopefully it works for you in EES this year too!  :)
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

horse9996

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2018, 06:17:21 pm »
In my trial I got 54/55 for the short answer section, but since then in HSC/trial papers I've done I've got 48/55. Any tips on improving this for the HSC? My goal is to get 95
HSC 2018
Advanced English (88) | Maths Ext 1(47) | Chemistry (88) | Earth & Environmental Science (94 - 5th in state) | Geography (89)

ATAR 98.2

jazcstuart

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +180
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2018, 08:30:15 pm »
+1
In my trial I got 54/55 for the short answer section, but since then in HSC/trial papers I've done I've got 48/55. Any tips on improving this for the HSC? My goal is to get 95
Where have you been losing marks? Is it because of not knowing content, not understanding what the question is asking, not being specific enough? Is there one or two topics where you usually lose marks? I think identifying why/where you are losing marks is really important to figure out how to improve  :)
Edit: I just realised you are doing exactly the same subjects as me!!!  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 08:31:52 pm by jazcstuart »
HSC 2017 - Mathematics, Music 1
HSC 2018 - English (Advanced), Maths Extension 1, Chemistry, Geography, Earth and Environmental Science

2019 - B Renewable Energy Engineering @ University of Newcastle

horse9996

• Trendsetter
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2018, 06:23:51 pm »
Where have you been losing marks? Is it because of not knowing content, not understanding what the question is asking, not being specific enough? Is there one or two topics where you usually lose marks? I think identifying why/where you are losing marks is really important to figure out how to improve  :)
Edit: I just realised you are doing exactly the same subjects as me!!!  ;D ;D

I think it's lacking detail/not being specific enough as well as those general 7 mark qs at the end of the paper. About the subjects, thats awesome! I'm looking at doing a double in science/engineering next year
HSC 2018
Advanced English (88) | Maths Ext 1(47) | Chemistry (88) | Earth & Environmental Science (94 - 5th in state) | Geography (89)

ATAR 98.2

jazcstuart

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2018, 08:45:21 pm »
+1
I think it's lacking detail/not being specific enough as well as those general 7 mark qs at the end of the paper. About the subjects, thats awesome! I'm looking at doing a double in science/engineering next year
I think earth is easier than chem for detail, because there are less specific numbers or facts. So I would say it's just a matter of practicing including as much detail as you can and knowing your content well. I don't really have any better tips than that sorry.

For the seven mark qs, it's definitely about quality over quantity. So for the general ones along the lines of "why is an understanding of earth science important to protect Australian environments" (I've seen ones like that a few times) I would choose around 2-3 issues such as salinity, pesticides, the formation of the Australian continent, erosion etc. to cover in detail, instead of just naming lots. Again I think all you can do is practice, and have your questions marked.
HSC 2018 - English (Advanced), Maths Extension 1, Chemistry, Geography, Earth and Environmental Science

jazcstuart

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2018, 10:52:50 am »
When a question asks for secondary sources you could use to research an issue, could I say a textbook?

eg. (2011 Q29) You have been asked to investigate alternatives to the use of pesticides for controlling pests.
a) Name TWO secondary sources of information you could use to research this issue.

Also I always get confused between reliablility and validity of SECONDARY SOURCES, what is the difference?
Thankyou  :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 11:06:40 am by jazcstuart »

horse9996

• Trendsetter
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2018, 11:46:58 am »
+1
When a question asks for secondary sources you could use to research an issue, could I say a textbook?

eg. (2011 Q29) You have been asked to investigate alternatives to the use of pesticides for controlling pests.
a) Name TWO secondary sources of information you could use to research this issue.

Also I always get confused between reliablility and validity of SECONDARY SOURCES, what is the difference?
Thankyou  :)

I would maybe say like a government website and scientific journal (like magazine). I don't see why you can't do it but its not ideal I wouldn't think

Reliability = information consistent across other sources
Validity = no outside influence eg bias

This website is good https://hsccoworks.com.au/a-detailed-explanation-on-accuracy-validity-reliability
HSC 2018

ATAR 98.2

jazcstuart

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2018, 12:12:14 pm »
I would maybe say like a government website and scientific journal (like magazine). I don't see why you can't do it but its not ideal I wouldn't think

Reliability = information consistent across other sources
Validity = no outside influence eg bias

This website is good https://hsccoworks.com.au/a-detailed-explanation-on-accuracy-validity-reliability

Thanks  :)
This is what makes me confused though, because according to that website, RELIABILITY is about things like bias and the authors credability, whereas VALIDITY is just whether the information answers the aim.
Validity
To determine if the information you are gathering is valid, you must consider or evaluate the following:
• whether the information relates to the problem or hypothesis being investigated.

Reliability
To determine if the information you are gathering is reliable, you must consider or evaluate the following:
• the author of the article’s credentials (i.e. the author is qualified in this area). For example, was the author a teacher, a scientist in that field etc?
• whether the purpose of the article is not resulting in bias
• whether the site or publication is reputable, i.e. .gov.edu, biology textbook
• whether the data was gathered using an appropriate method and measuring devices
• whether it is current (check date) 
This means that if your information is current, written by an expert in the area you are investigating, without bias and is in a reputable publication, then your information could be considered reliable.

However I agree with what you said, that RELIABILITY should be just about consistency, and VALIDITY refers to other factors like bias?
Ugh why is this so confusing  :o

horse9996

• Trendsetter
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2018, 12:22:15 pm »
+1
Thanks  :)
This is what makes me confused though, because according to that website, RELIABILITY is about things like bias and the authors credability, whereas VALIDITY is just whether the information answers the aim.
However I agree with what you said, that RELIABILITY should be just about consistency, and VALIDITY refers to other factors like bias?
Ugh why is this so confusing  :o

I think a source is valid if its about what you are researching eg if I'm researching salinity a website on mass extinctions would be invalid but something on management strategies would be.

I think of it in what the first hand meanings mean in secondary terms. Validity = testing what you think it will in experiments, so in research it is valid if it relates what you are trying to find out
HSC 2018

ATAR 98.2

jazcstuart

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2018, 12:29:25 pm »
I think a source is valid if its about what you are researching eg if I'm researching salinity a website on mass extinctions would be invalid but something on management strategies would be.

I think of it in what the first hand meanings mean in secondary terms. Validity = testing what you think it will in experiments, so in research it is valid if it relates what you are trying to find out
Yeah ok thanks, I will do it that way. At least then there will be 2 of us  :D

horse9996

• Trendsetter
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2018, 04:39:19 pm »
Does anyone know what sort of raw marks correlate with what sort of scaled marks? Eg what is 70,80,90 raw
HSC 2018

ATAR 98.2

horse9996

• Trendsetter
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2018, 09:00:31 am »
Anyone know how to answer this?

"Justify methods, other than quarantine, for controlling the spread of introduced animal species in Australia" (7 marks)

It's from the 2006 paper
HSC 2018

ATAR 98.2

jazcstuart

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2018, 05:22:07 pm »
Anyone know how to answer this?

"Justify methods, other than quarantine, for controlling the spread of introduced animal species in Australia" (7 marks)

It's from the 2006 paper
Wow 7 marks is a lot for that question, so I would say you would have to go pretty in depth for a few methods. I would do biological control, physical removal of plants or killing animal pests, then I don't know but maybe rehabilitating sites with natives?

horse9996

• Trendsetter
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2018, 06:09:58 pm »
Wow 7 marks is a lot for that question, so I would say you would have to go pretty in depth for a few methods. I would do biological control, physical removal of plants or killing animal pests, then I don't know but maybe rehabilitating sites with natives?

I was going to talk about biological control (prickly pear) and herbicides (lantana) but it says specifically animals. In which case I did cane toads and their methods are pretty trash
HSC 2018

ATAR 98.2

jazcstuart

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2018, 06:25:29 pm »
I was going to talk about biological control (prickly pear) and herbicides (lantana) but it says specifically animals. In which case I did cane toads and their methods are pretty trash
Oh yeah, didn't see that whoops. You could talk about biological control of rabbits (myxomatosis), and mechanical methods of hunting rabbits, which were largely unsuccessful.
One interesting thing we learnt about for cane toads is that scientists are introducing baby cane toads into areas just ahead of the main spread of cane toads. The native animals eat them and get sick but aren't killed, so they learn not to eat them. I don't think this would really work for this question as it isn't stopping the spread, it's just minimising their impact.