Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 02:21:34 pm

Author Topic: Technique help  (Read 1611 times)  Share 

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
Technique help
« on: February 07, 2017, 05:59:40 pm »
Hi!!

Does anyone know a technique that is used to when the poet uses "2 and 3 syllable words in a line" only?
Or even the name for that type of rhythm/beat?
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Technique help
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 06:26:17 pm »
Hi!!

Does anyone know a technique that is used to when the poet uses "2 and 3 syllable words in a line" only?
Or even the name for that type of rhythm/beat?

Do you mean, the words that make up the line only have 2 or 3 syllables per word, or do you mean, 2 or 3 syllables per line? I'm assuming you mean the first :)
Could you copy and paste an example of the text you are referring to?
As you can see here the total number of syllables for the line is important to know too. Otherwise, if it doesn't fall into any of these categories still, perhaps you could be talking about the weight of the consonance or something similar. Let me know :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 06:53:10 pm »
Do you mean, the words that make up the line only have 2 or 3 syllables per word, or do you mean, 2 or 3 syllables per line? I'm assuming you mean the first :)
Could you copy and paste an example of the text you are referring to?
As you can see here the total number of syllables for the line is important to know too. Otherwise, if it doesn't fall into any of these categories still, perhaps you could be talking about the weight of the consonance or something similar. Let me know :)

syphoning El Haji Malik El Shabazz., Jimblahs, Deltas & Brad Struts, Ozi Batlas,, Hilltops & Horrorshows, Def Wish Casts & Koolisms”. 

Yeah i think I mean the first option you said lol
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92

cindy4life

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 07:07:28 pm »
OMG! I was also looking for that word  :P It just not pop up in my head. So glad i found this post

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 07:18:54 pm »
+1
syphoning El Haji Malik El Shabazz., Jimblahs, Deltas & Brad Struts, Ozi Batlas,, Hilltops & Horrorshows, Def Wish Casts & Koolisms”. 

Yeah i think I mean the first option you said lol

Mmm, I'm a little stumped with this. I'd definitely be talking about the listing style of musical artists. Listing works here to compound evidence and momentum. I think that the small number of syllables for each word works to create the fast pace of the list, thus making it a more powerful statement. So, the listing combined with the limited syllables to each title amounts to a powerful and momentous argument for the speaker. You could also say this is cacophony, with the various syllables with a different emphasis on each half of the word for different words. The accent is placed on a different stressed syllable for each. But hearing the speaker of this would give you a clearer view: I'm just going off the words on the page. This is just my opinion on this section of the text, I'm happy to have other people suggest otherwise :)

If you're looking specifically to know about meter, I won't lie, I'm struggling! It's hard to know if the speaker is pronouncing things correctly or blurring them for the purpose of presentation, so I can't work out the meter. This resource might help, though.
The first two lines there have the same syllables, but the third line appears to have more (unless the speaker is being colloquial in the pronunciation).
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 08:31:57 pm »
+1
Mmm, I'm a little stumped with this. I'd definitely be talking about the listing style of musical artists. Listing works here to compound evidence and momentum. I think that the small number of syllables for each word works to create the fast pace of the list, thus making it a more powerful statement. So, the listing combined with the limited syllables to each title amounts to a powerful and momentous argument for the speaker. You could also say this is cacophony, with the various syllables with a different emphasis on each half of the word for different words. The accent is placed on a different stressed syllable for each. But hearing the speaker of this would give you a clearer view: I'm just going off the words on the page. This is just my opinion on this section of the text, I'm happy to have other people suggest otherwise :)

If you're looking specifically to know about meter, I won't lie, I'm struggling! It's hard to know if the speaker is pronouncing things correctly or blurring them for the purpose of presentation, so I can't work out the meter. This resource might help, though.
The first two lines there have the same syllables, but the third line appears to have more (unless the speaker is being colloquial in the pronunciation).

I see, I see! :) thank you Elyse! Gave more insight to what I should write!! HELPED ME HEAPS ! <3
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92