Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:08:52 pm

Author Topic: Help!! Robert Gray's poetry + Distant Lands  (Read 3017 times)

adelaidecruz

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
Help!! Robert Gray's poetry + Distant Lands
« on: July 03, 2017, 06:18:06 pm »
Hi guys,

Does anyone know how to effectively link Robert Gray's poems (Meatworks and Flames and Dangling Wire) to Tim Winton's Distant Lands? So far I've come up with:

Meatworks & Distant Lands = individuals recognising their ambivalence to societal norms (ruthlessness of slaughterhouse; racism instilled to Fat Maz by her father) therefore challenging their intrinsic notions
Flames and Dangling Wire & Distant Lands = willingness (persona realises he is the future; Fat Maz is offered with new social contexts and new outlook of herself) to make connections with places and people (burning dump piled with rubbish; Fat Maz's platitudinous environment/life)

This is the only essay I've had trouble with and I don't know if I've analysed my ORT enough to get to the A range so any help would be greatly appreciated :D Thank you!
ATAR: 93.35
HSC 2017 - English Standard (94 - 11th in NSW) | Biology (92) | Chemistry (82) | Mathematics (83) | French Beginners (91)
2018-2022: B Sci (Physiology) / M Nursing @ USyd

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Help!! Robert Gray's poetry + Distant Lands
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 10:57:55 pm »
+1
Hi guys,

Does anyone know how to effectively link Robert Gray's poems (Meatworks and Flames and Dangling Wire) to Tim Winton's Distant Lands? So far I've come up with:

Meatworks & Distant Lands = individuals recognising their ambivalence to societal norms (ruthlessness of slaughterhouse; racism instilled to Fat Maz by her father) therefore challenging their intrinsic notions
Flames and Dangling Wire & Distant Lands = willingness (persona realises he is the future; Fat Maz is offered with new social contexts and new outlook of herself) to make connections with places and people (burning dump piled with rubbish; Fat Maz's platitudinous environment/life)

This is the only essay I've had trouble with and I don't know if I've analysed my ORT enough to get to the A range so any help would be greatly appreciated :D Thank you!

I studied Distant Lands - but unfortunately didn't take on Robert Gray's poetry. I've read a few pieces here and there, however. What comes to mind immediately isn't so thematic, but it's about the precision of writing. Both writers really pack a punch with the attention to obscure details (for example, the thin hair used as a book mark in Distant Lands). Another thing that comes to mind is just how unpromising both settings are that the author's draw on. There's nothing so inspiring about either settings of the poems or the short story. It's very much about bringing out a lot of meaning from an otherwise dismal scenery. Hopefully this gives you another point of discussion!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Kekemato_BAP

• Forum Regular
  • Keep calm and study more
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 11:14:17 pm »
Hi, this is off-topic, but where can I get a copy of Distant Lands?
My school doesn't have it and I can't find a copy
Hello

adelaidecruz

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 09:16:05 am »
I studied Distant Lands - but unfortunately didn't take on Robert Gray's poetry. I've read a few pieces here and there, however. What comes to mind immediately isn't so thematic, but it's about the precision of writing. Both writers really pack a punch with the attention to obscure details (for example, the thin hair used as a book mark in Distant Lands). Another thing that comes to mind is just how unpromising both settings are that the author's draw on. There's nothing so inspiring about either settings of the poems or the short story. It's very much about bringing out a lot of meaning from an otherwise dismal scenery. Hopefully this gives you another point of discussion!

Wow thank you, I didn't really thought of that! :)
Oh and sorry to bother you again, but do you think my arguments/themes for Distant Lands made sense? :)

Thesis 1: The progression of one’s perceptions may be triggered in an environment that stimulates new experiences and has the potential to implore discoveries, consequently forcing individuals to recognise their ambivalence to societal norms.
(Link to DL = Fat Maz's sterile environment --> challenging the racism instilled to Fat Maz by her father by forming a mute bond with the Pakistani Man --> heightened understanding of herself & of society)

Thesis 2: The provocation of challenges and the willingness to make connections with places and people can cause major upheavals, resulting in behavioural changes and meaningful discoveries.
(Link to DL = willingness of Fat Maz to 'bond' with the man --> caused shifts in her attitude "she could feel herself getting fatter everyday" vs. "she fairly crackled" --> new outlook)

Thank you so much!! ATARNotes is a lifesaver! :)

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 11:03:48 am by adelaidecruz »
HSC 2017 - English Standard (94 - 11th in NSW) | Biology (92) | Chemistry (82) | Mathematics (83) | French Beginners (91)

adelaidecruz

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 09:20:24 am »

Hey, try your local library maybe? If not, you can find it in Winton's collection of short stories (Minimum of Two) for $14.99 on iBooks 😊

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 06:07:51 pm »

Hey there! The short story can be found in the book "Minimum of Two" by Tim Winton. He has another short story anthology called Scission which I also recommend, particularly the short story called "Neighbours." Your local library might have a copy - it's unusual for libraries to not stock Tim Winton's work I think, seeing as he's a renowned Australian writer. But, it then becomes a matter of which works they stock of his! I think it's also available on iBooks for a cheaper price than buying the paperback. :)

Edit: Just saw adelaidecruz's comment above about the price! I think it was actually a similar price for me to buy the paperback from my local book store. There's lots of great stories in it!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 06:12:42 pm »
I'm glad
Wow thank you, I didn't really thought of that! :)
Oh and sorry to bother you again, but do you think my arguments/themes for Distant Lands made sense? :)

Thesis 1: The progression of one’s perceptions may be triggered in an environment that stimulates new experiences and has the potential to implore discoveries, consequently forcing individuals to recognise their ambivalence to societal norms.
(Link to DL = Fat Maz's sterile environment --> challenging the racism instilled to Fat Maz by her father by forming a mute bond with the Pakistani Man --> heightened understanding of herself & of society)

Thesis 2: The provocation of challenges and the willingness to make connections with places and people can cause major upheavals, resulting in behavioural changes and meaningful discoveries.
(Link to DL = willingness of Fat Maz to 'bond' with the man --> caused shifts in her attitude "she could feel herself getting fatter everyday" vs. "she fairly crackled" --> new outlook)

Thank you so much!! ATARNotes is a lifesaver! :)
I'm glad you're finding this helpful!
For the first statement:
The progression of one’s perceptions may be triggered in an environment that stimulates new experiences and has the potential to implore discoveries, consequently forcing individuals to recognise their ambivalence to societal norms.
Be sure to use a possessive apostrophe in one's* Also, I'm not sure about the word implore. I've always taken the word implore to imply a begging. And I'm not sure that's what we really see here. But otherwise, this all makes good sense conceptually!

The provocation of challenges and the willingness to make connections with places and people can cause major upheavals, resulting in behavioural changes and meaningful discoveries.
I definitely agree that this is seen in Winton's work Distant Lands! I think this makes perfect sense :)