Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:12:48 pm

Poll

Modern or ancient?

Modern
Ancient
I don't do history (whaaaat)
Why don't we have both? (ayyyyyy) (like that taco ad)

Author Topic: To cause a bit of drama: modern or ancient?  (Read 22447 times)  Share 

ilovemycat

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
Re: To cause a bit of drama: modern or ancient?
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2017, 07:12:58 pm »
+3
I do both and I can say - ancient is EASIER but less interesting
Modern is MUCCCH HARDER!!1 but more interesting.

Maybe its because 300 BC is so distant, and i cant really relate to the romans and egyptians buttt i find ancient a tad boring. Modern is much more excitign becaue i feel like we can relate to it in this age of trump and nucelar weapons.. anyways thats my thoughts on it. :D

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2017, 07:20:11 pm »
+2

Maybe its because 300 BC is so distant, and i cant really relate to the romans and egyptians buttt i find ancient a tad boring. Modern is much more excitign becaue i feel like we can relate to it in this age of trump and nucelar weapons.. anyways thats my thoughts on it. :D
Kind of understandable, I guess. I love Ancient but can definitely see your point in modern being more relatable. Although I wouldn't exactly say I find Ancient easy (I have easier subjects)-and the amount of evidence we need to know is heaps!! What topics are you studying in Ancient?
Also, welcome to Atar notes!! :D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2017, 07:41:03 pm »
+2

Interesting! I personally found Ancient harder (though that is probably partly due to the fact that I put more effort into modern). Reason being is that I found modern questions, though arguably more complex, often a lot more predictable in structure. Like I knew if there was a Bolshevik Consolidation of Power question I would be structuring it according to the same themes no matter what the focus was - whereas with Ancient it was completely unpredictable, as questions were derived from dot points and not syllabus sections. However I was also singled out as a rarity by my history teachers that I did better in Modern - usually the inverse is what occurs!

Personally I agree with you when it comes to my level of interest for the two subjects - though I did really enjoy Ancient, it definitely didn't compare to Modern History. I think this is because in Modern we were looking at ideology - something that I inherently find super interesting :) I also loved how I could see clear, direct links to current situations (however that isn't impossible in Ancient! For my historical investigation in year 11 I looked at the role of dogs in Ancient societies, and it was super interesting how similar our relationship was in many ways!)
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2017, 07:51:08 pm »
+2
however that isn't impossible in Ancient! For my historical investigation in year 11 I looked at the role of dogs in Ancient societies, and it was super interesting how similar our relationship was in many ways!
That sounds so interesting :D In year 11, mine was 'To what extent did Tutankhamen effectively rule the eygptian empire?' Really cool to look at because all I knew beforehand was that he was a young pharaoh. :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2017, 08:21:54 pm »
+2
That sounds so interesting :D In year 11, mine was 'To what extent did Tutankhamen effectively rule the eygptian empire?' Really cool to look at because all I knew beforehand was that he was a young pharaoh. :)
Feel free to have a read! Haven't looked at it in ages - so glad that i still have it on my laptop though. One of the most fun assessment tasks I've ever had (only one that beat it was my modern historical investigation aha - looked at the Jonestown massacre for that one!). That is my dog on the front cover btw ;)

I've always found Tutankhamen to be super fascinating - probably the first historical personality that I was interested in learning about, I remember having quite a few books on him :) Did you enjoy the assessment? What was your conclusion? :)
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

mitchello

• Trailblazer
  • This sentence is false.
  • Respect: +30
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2017, 08:58:06 pm »
+2
For me at least, Ancient being distant is what can make it so intriguing: 'human nature' is etched out even thousands of years ago, and through retrospect we can see the development of mass ideologies and how they've been adapted to suit society over time. I just find the idea more fascinating than modern.
Note - i'm slightly biased seeing as I have never tried modern and have absolutely no clue what is in the syllabus
Advanced English//Mathematics//Economics//Legal Studies//Ancient History//History Extension

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2017, 09:19:40 pm »
+2
Feel free to have a read! Haven't looked at it in ages - so glad that i still have it on my laptop though. One of the most fun assessment tasks I've ever had (only one that beat it was my modern historical investigation aha - looked at the Jonestown massacre for that one!). That is my dog on the front cover btw ;)

I've always found Tutankhamen to be super fascinating - probably the first historical personality that I was interested in learning about, I remember having quite a few books on him :) Did you enjoy the assessment? What was your conclusion? :)
Your dog is so adorable! :) I downloaded it and will definitely read once exams are over. I loved the assessment task-it was so much fun. :D

Basically my conclusion was that he was somewhat effective as an pharaoh. If anyone's interested I attached it here-although it's not the best written essay. I've summarised the main points below though.
My main points were that:
- Before his reign his father Akhenaton changed the main religion of Egypt from polytheism to monotheism (to worship only the sun god Aten). However, this was a disaster as he neglected his subjects while working on the new religions. Tutankhamen changed the religion back to polytheism (however, we are unsure if he was forced by his advisors or not). It was thought that in tut's time both religions were able to coexist.
- He may have trained the Egyptian army and led them into battle. It was something that pharaohs were expected to do, however we have been unsure due to his age. There were blocks in Luxor that showed Tut leading the army into battle so he may have witnessed the battle of Kadesh but it is questionable.
- However, he was really sick and suffered from many different illnesses. Two mummified foetuses have been found in his tomb and are tested to be his daughters. He had a also had a crumbling foot due to osteonecrosis and a congenital malformation of his second toe. He had to walk with the aid of his staffs and also had a deadly case of malaria. All this would have affected the way he could rule over the empire.

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
  • When you realise Kpop exists... the world is good.
  • Respect: -4
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2019, 05:23:53 pm »
a bit of a debate happened at school a while ago... let's see what happens ???

look y'all. Modern history couldn't have been created without ANCIENT.
-KgkG-

Tasfia1

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2019, 01:08:20 pm »
I'm doing both as I love history :D