Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:03:42 am

Author Topic: Standard English usefulness  (Read 7274 times)  Share 

aadharmg

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Standard English usefulness
« on: July 31, 2017, 07:40:37 pm »
Hi guys... A bit of a story time. So I am in year 11 and last year was in year 10. I took my English classes really easily and thought that a test would take place to decide who gets into Advanced English for year 11. That didn't happen. They just took ranks and didn't give me a chance even though I was left out by one rank. The head teacher promised me a spot if I were to place in the top 3 students in advanced by half yearlies in the prelim course. That happened. I was 3. Now, my teacher has refused an entry and wants me to stay in Standard. I have no problem with that but my only concern is that, considering I have very tough subjects and excel in them, if I were to do extremely well in all my subjects, like reeaaaaaallly well, then is there a cap on atar for standard english students? Like is it possible to get 99.95 atar with Standard English? Not necessarily my goal for an atar but just want to know if it is a disadvantage.

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
Re: Standard English usefulness
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 07:45:14 pm »
Standard is significantly harder than Advanced, yes, but it's very possible. It all comes down to how well you perform against everyone else, so even with Standard English, you can still achieve a 99.95

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 08:12:35 pm »
+1
I'm going to share a statistic that, although it sounds like I'm bullshitting, is 100% true and you can fact check me on it.

In the last 5-6 years (as far back as I think it sensible to check), no one who does Standard English has ever achieved a 99.95. There has always been 99's, often around 99.50, even up to about 99.75 or so, but never 99.95.

You can still achieve a 99.95 ATAR, but your odds are significantly reduced in terms of being able to crack that score. Even if that isn't your aim, you are significantly disadvantaged by the scaling of Standard, for a course with a completely equivalent workload to Advanced.

Students should pick subjects that suit their skill level, of course, but anyone who does well in Standard can perform to a similar level in Advanced. In honesty, I'd be going to your teacher and demanding to be moved up. It is your HSC, and you've not given them any reason to stop you!! :)

aadharmg

• Forum Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 10:03:55 pm »
I'm going to share a statistic that, although it sounds like I'm bullshitting, is 100% true and you can fact check me on it.

In the last 5-6 years (as far back as I think it sensible to check), no one who does Standard English has ever achieved a 99.95. There has always been 99's, often around 99.50, even up to about 99.75 or so, but never 99.95.

You can still achieve a 99.95 ATAR, but your odds are significantly reduced in terms of being able to crack that score. Even if that isn't your aim, you are significantly disadvantaged by the scaling of Standard, for a course with a completely equivalent workload to Advanced.

Students should pick subjects that suit their skill level, of course, but anyone who does well in Standard can perform to a similar level in Advanced. In honesty, I'd be going to your teacher and demanding to be moved up. It is your HSC, and you've not given them any reason to stop you!! :)

Wow, okay that sounds really bad. But then again, there is a first for everything. Let's consider I state rank for Standard English, what kind of marks do you think I would need for my other subjects which are Physics, Chemistry, Biology, MX2 and MX1, to get 99.95. I can't help myself but dream for that top ATAR and I know 100% I can get it but to me this stupid English story is all that's in my way.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 10:17:28 pm »
Wow, okay that sounds really bad. But then again, there is a first for everything. Let's consider I state rank for Standard English, what kind of marks do you think I would need for my other subjects which are Physics, Chemistry, Biology, MX2 and MX1, to get 99.95. I can't help myself but dream for that top ATAR and I know 100% I can get it but to me this stupid English story is all that's in my way.

To be honest I have absolutely no clue - If you theoretically got 100% in Standard, then the others would probably need to be just solid Band 6's. Like, 100% in Standard would have no negative effect on your ATAR. It is the fact that 100% in Standard is next to impossible to achieve.

95ish in all of those courses, plus 100% in English, would get you 99.95 I'd hazard to guess. But you'd have to be an absolute magician to get those sorts of marks in Standard, and if you can do that, you definitely should have done Advanced in the first place, if that makes sense? Like, beyond everything else with scaling and such, people who do Standard don't get 99.95 because to get 99.95 you need to be incredibly talented in an academic sense, and those students are good enough to do Advanced ;D so I suppose it's a statistical bias in that sense, if you follow me?

Huangz

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 10:34:06 pm »
To be honest with you, you should try your best to get into advanced english. Both course has the exact same scale. However, you are comparing paper one with students in advanced which most of the time, students in standard will drop to the middle rank. And the real nightmare isn't all of that. For instance, at my school 95% of the standard students doesn't put a single effect in it, so it will definitely pull down the top 5% students' marks even they rank high. And that's why standard english has such low percentage for band 6 (less than 1% mostly) even the students achieve good marks in the HSC. You have to work even harder than those top students in advanced to minimise these effects. And I wish someone back in the beginning of yr 11 could have told me this.