Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 06:30:13 pm

Author Topic: how hard is extension 2??  (Read 3389 times)  Share 

ilovemycat

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
how hard is extension 2??
« on: August 28, 2017, 05:59:15 pm »
+2
Hii!
i know this seems like a silly question, but im in year 11 term 3 and wondering whether or not i should pick up ext 2. i love english, but people have told me that ext 2 is really hard and tiem consuming. considering im doing both histories and picking up extension history (im a history nerd) im not sure if the workload would be too much
itd be great if someone doing ext 2 would be able to give me a rough idea of the work and stress taht goes into it.

thanks! :)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 05:24:42 pm by ilovemycat »

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: how hard is extension 2??
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 07:54:27 pm »
+6
Hi friends!
i know this seems like a silly question, but im in year 11 term 3 and wondering whether or not i should pick up ext 2. i love english, but people have told me that ext 2 is really hard and tiem consuming. i am coming first in my ext 1 choort of 54 kids so i feel like i would be ABLE to do it, but considering im doing both histories and picking up extension history (im a history nerd) im not sure if the workload would be too much
itd be great if someone doing ext 2 would be able to give me a rough idea of the work and stress taht goes into it.

Hey there! This is excellent timing seeing as I've just published the first of our "is extension for you?" series on Extension 2 English! I'm reading a book about writing at the moment and on the train home today I started writing a blog on the entire process of Extension 2 English. Basically: it's incredibly rewarding (I think) and you do need a lot of organisational skills in order to be successful. In saying this, I know a few people who were the leaders of the last-minute gang and did wonderfully. But, it's not something I advise! I'm going to ping Susie into this thread to give her two cents about the workload of extension history, because I'm just not sure about it. If you wanted to kill two birds with one stone (really hate that term) you might be able to take a historical view in your Extension English work - so any research or debating you do for Extension History can be pasted into your English journal as research? Else, you might like to keep them entirely separate.

I am a big advocate for Ext 2! I wrote creatively and it was a perfect outlet from everything else, for me.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 08:01:35 pm »
+5
Hi friends!
i know this seems like a silly question, but im in year 11 term 3 and wondering whether or not i should pick up ext 2. i love english, but people have told me that ext 2 is really hard and tiem consuming. i am coming first in my ext 1 choort of 54 kids so i feel like i would be ABLE to do it, but considering im doing both histories and picking up extension history (im a history nerd) im not sure if the workload would be too much

Hey! I can't add much in regards to whether or not you should pick up English Extension 2 as I didn't study the subject, however if you are concerned about the workload of another major work on top of studying 5 units of history I might be able to provide some insight :) Though I didn't study Extension English I did study Drama, which basically involves 2 major works - the Group Performance and the Individual Project, the latter of which I chose to do a film (which is notorious for being one of the "biggest" options in terms of workload). On top of this, I also studied 5 units of history (best decision I ever made :) ). Though yes, there were periods of time where the workload was stressful, I don't believe that was due to studying history, more so due to the fact that I was doing one of the hardest IP's for Drama - like studying all that History was never a burden for me, and personally, though I would never say that history extension is an "easy" course (spoiler alert - it's not), the workload is managable (even more so when you consider that the major work is marked internally rather than externally!).

Hope this helps :)

Susie
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 08:14:59 pm »
+4
Hey! I can't add much in regards to whether or not you should pick up English Extension 2 as I didn't study the subject, however if you are concerned about the workload of another major work on top of studying 5 units of history I might be able to provide some insight :) Though I didn't study Extension English I did study Drama, which basically involves 2 major works - the Group Performance and the Individual Project, the latter of which I chose to do a film (which is notorious for being one of the "biggest" options in terms of workload). On top of this, I also studied 5 units of history (best decision I ever made :) ). Though yes, there were periods of time where the workload was stressful, I don't believe that was due to studying history, more so due to the fact that I was doing one of the hardest IP's for Drama - like studying all that History was never a burden for me, and personally, though I would never say that history extension is an "easy" course (spoiler alert - it's not), the workload is managable (even more so when you consider that the major work is marked internally rather than externally!).

Hope this helps :)

Susie

Thanks Susie!

And Susie wrote this guide on whether or not history extension is for you...you probably know that you are committed to it, but scroll to the bottom and have a look at some of our other history extension resources! The debate thread is a must-see!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!