Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 09:18:39 pm

Author Topic: Transition of courses  (Read 1239 times)

aadharmg

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Transition of courses
« on: September 10, 2017, 10:31:48 pm »
Just a general question but my school teachers said that if I am able to maintain a good average in the standard preliminary course, they will allow me into the Advanced english HSC course only if that is allowed? Just wanted to know if it is allowed, like does NESA have any problems with such a transition ?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Transition of courses
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 10:46:13 pm »
+2
Just a general question but my school teachers said that if I am able to maintain a good average in the standard preliminary course, they will allow me into the Advanced english HSC course only if that is allowed? Just wanted to know if it is allowed, like does NESA have any problems with such a transition ?

To transition into a new HSC Course after Prelim, I think you need to have met the Preliminary course requirements or equivalent, and that's at the discretion of your school - For example, a school will usually let a 2U Mathematics student move to General Maths in Year 12 because they've met Year 11 requirements for a very similar course.

I believe satisfying requirements for Standard should count enough to move to Advanced! I'm honestly not sure though, I've never actually had any experience of it!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 01:09:13 pm »
+3
If this goes ahead - I'd be doing the best you can to give yourself a head start at the kind of analysis you'd be putting in at an Advanced level. So in the holidays I'd get a head start on looking at some exemplar essays, reading the prescribed texts, etc. This way you kind of update yourself on the "mindset" an Advanced student will have been conditioned to work towards during preliminary. But of course - bring your A game no matter what! This could be a really great move for you and the year to come!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 03:00:55 pm »
+3
Heyya,
I was a Standard student in Preliminary who moved up to Advanced in Year 12. It's a tough but rewarding transition; it's a lot more intense in the way they present the material in Advanced as opposed to Standard, so keep an open mind about how your analysis goes. It's a lot more competitive, as the more natural English students would be taking up the top spots; as a result, you should be looking to common areas where band 6 Advanced students have, because the only way to do well in English is to keep practising.

By no means should it scare you, it's rewarding when you do well, but the gap between Standard and Advanced material means it can become pretty tough.

Lachlan Morley

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: St Augustines College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 12:49:14 pm »
We have a student in my advanced cohort who came up from standard for year 12

Whilst he is going ok , he still has the whole standard student attitude of approching texts and attidute in class

if your going to come up, the overall what you learn i have found isnt that diffrent although the overall attitude in class is really diffrent