Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 21, 2024, 12:30:34 am

Author Topic: .  (Read 7692 times)  Share 

jasmineerrose

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« on: October 26, 2017, 07:01:31 pm »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 09:20:16 pm by jasmineerrose »

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
Choosing Related Texts
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 11:57:12 pm »
+2
Hey! I just did my HSC for English! :)

I’ll suggest some RTs that you can check out!

AOS: I did Life of Pi... for related, it was Piano by D.H.Lawrence. Not sure if it’s good for GBTWYCF. But definitely check it out.
It’s basically about journey of rediscovering his childhood (it’s very subtle), and his emotional responses to it!

Mod A - almost anything can be a good related text, I did Distinctively visual but I’m sure they are about the same thing. That is, how voices are used to portrays experiences and issues etc.
SUGGESTIONS:
- Strange Fruit perfomed by Billy Holiday. This is a piece that explores the African American lynching in 1960s America! The lyrics are quite evocative and so is the musical elements (that’s if you have a musical background, show it off!). USED THIS FOR MY HSC! Changed after trials.
- Valentine by Carol Anne Duffy
The use of the motifs and how that develops is very interesting! There’s also some intriguing  perspectives and ideas presented in this poem about love.
- Take me to church - Hozier
I did this for my trials and got at 17/20! Not the best, but certainly has some potential with someone much better than me at English. This one is a bit sketchy tho, since on a superficial level, it expresses the love for sex lol. But on a deeper level, it has great ideas about religion and some subtle links to Greek mythology! (It was my take on the song)

Mod B: I don’t think you need a related ? It’s a close study of the text ...

Mod C: I did Educating Rita too! And I did Missing Her by Michael Weisler! (Youtube it)
I got 18/20 for trials when I used it  :)
I think it’s brilliant!!! It’s main theme is belonging. But on a deeper level, it explores the concept of transitions and how they can be resisted, causing this dissonance between an individual and others, as well as other concepts that cover the rubric too, by agreeing and disagreeing to it.
It also brings some lovely contrast to Educating Rita conceptually !

If you are considering any of these, PM me and I’ll be happy to send you my analysis on them and essays! (Essays aren’t the best but something to work from)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 12:03:52 am by DalvinT »
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Choosing Related Texts
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 10:18:43 am »
+1
Hi, I studied Go Back To Where You Came From and my related text was Tim Winton's Distant Lands, although his short story Neighbours is a great one to use too! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 12:13:12 pm »
+4
Best ORTs to pick are the ones you have studied in the past (in English or any other subject) and/or the texts that are your strengths. Are you better off doing visual ORTs, where visual techniques are your strongest points or written texts, where literary techniques are your strongest suits.

For my related texts, I used the following:

Discovery (prescribed text was Away)
ORT: Vincent and the Doctor (Doctor Who episode). A lot of visual techniques and symbolism you can draw from this. This episode is basically about his artistic, intellectual and personal discovery. If you happen to do Away, you can link Van Gogh and Coral as they experience self actualisation at the end.

Module A: Distinctively Visual (my text was Douglas Stewart poems)
Like Dalvin T said, pretty much anything can be used in this module. I used an artwork called 'Bayi Minyjirral' by Danie Mellor, that I happened to study during prelim Visual Arts. If you happen to do art, you can use any artwork from the subject. If not, it's so easy to connect ANY related text to the topic. It's all about how a text's techniques creates memorable ideas and images.

Mod B: Close Study of a Text
No ORT needed as you solely focus on your prescribed text's features and ideas :)

Mod C: Exploring Transitions (prescribed was Billy Elliot)
There's a good chance that you can use your Discovery ORT for this module. But if not, anything can be a related text. Though I discovered after trials was your ORT shouldn't explore an individual's struggle but also how their transition challenges society, politics and expectations. I initially did 'It's Quiet Uptown' (Hamilton) and 'Requiem' (Dear Evan Hansen) but knew they weren't strong enough as I originally thought. After taking my tutor's suggestion, I did Lana Wachowski's speech when she received the HRC Visibility Award in 2012. It's a literal approach but it's very strong as we explore Wachowski's gender transition but as well society's transition into tolerance and acceptance.
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

Christine2468

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 10:10:36 pm »
For Lana Wachowski's speech when she received the HRC Visibility Award in 2012, what analysis or examples of analysis did you use and how did you analyse a speech?
Best ORTs to pick are the ones you have studied in the past (in English or any other subject) and/or the texts that are your strengths. Are you better off doing visual ORTs, where visual techniques are your strongest points or written texts, where literary techniques are your strongest suits.

For my related texts, I used the following:

Discovery (prescribed text was Away)
ORT: Vincent and the Doctor (Doctor Who episode). A lot of visual techniques and symbolism you can draw from this. This episode is basically about his artistic, intellectual and personal discovery. If you happen to do Away, you can link Van Gogh and Coral as they experience self actualisation at the end.

Module A: Distinctively Visual (my text was Douglas Stewart poems)
Like Dalvin T said, pretty much anything can be used in this module. I used an artwork called 'Bayi Minyjirral' by Danie Mellor, that I happened to study during prelim Visual Arts. If you happen to do art, you can use any artwork from the subject. If not, it's so easy to connect ANY related text to the topic. It's all about how a text's techniques creates memorable ideas and images.

Mod B: Close Study of a Text
No ORT needed as you solely focus on your prescribed text's features and ideas :)

Mod C: Exploring Transitions (prescribed was Billy Elliot)
There's a good chance that you can use your Discovery ORT for this module. But if not, anything can be a related text. Though I discovered after trials was your ORT shouldn't explore an individual's struggle but also how their transition challenges society, politics and expectations. I initially did 'It's Quiet Uptown' (Hamilton) and 'Requiem' (Dear Evan Hansen) but knew they weren't strong enough as I originally thought. After taking my tutor's suggestion, I did Lana Wachowski's speech when she received the HRC Visibility Award in 2012. It's a literal approach but it's very strong as we explore Wachowski's gender transition but as well society's transition into tolerance and acceptance.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 05:08:19 pm »
+5
For Lana Wachowski's speech when she received the HRC Visibility Award in 2012, what analysis or examples of analysis did you use and how did you analyse a speech?

Hey there!

The speech did not only capture Wachowski’s transition but as well as society’s transition into being more inclusive and accepting of transgender people. To get top marks for this module, you need emphasis how Wachowski’s transition challenges society’s gender expectations and how her transition results in new knowledge, ideas, shifts in attitudes and beliefs and a deepened understanding of the self and others (just referencing the Exploring Transitions rubric btw). If you happen to do Society & Culture, check out the information for the ‘Conformity and Non-Conformity’ elective. It’s great for Billy Elliot AND the speech if you want to add a little more ~pizzazz~ to your essay.

Going back to Wachowski’s speech, the way you analyse it is the same way you would analyse a written text. I only used four quotes as evidence because this module is so vague and broad that you can use the same evidence for ANY question. You can always use other quotes and techniques! This module is very similar to Discovery as well, so you may draw ideas from the AOS if you want (but has to be minimal). Just keep on referencing the Exploring Transitions rubric in your essay and you should be sweet!

“I am told to get in line, girls in one line, boys in another. I walk past the girls feeling this strange, powerful gravity of association … As soon as I look towards the other line [the boys], through, I feel a feeling of differentiation that confuses me. I don’t belong there either” (repetition of ‘I’ and juxtaposition of ‘girls’ and ‘boys’)
For this quote, you can say that the repetition of I creates a sense of yearning for Wachowski to explore her true identity. However, the juxtaposition of the ‘girls’ and ‘boys’ obviously illustrates the two worlds Wachowski is stuck between in. She doesn’t fit in with the girls (yet) due to her masculine appearance, but doesn’t fit in with the boys due to her yearn to transition into a female. This quote relates to the following parts of the ET rubric: ‘transitions maybe challenging, confronting … may result in growth, change and a range of consequences’.

“I began to believe the voices in my head … that I was a freak, that I am broken, that there is something wrong with me, that I will never be loveable” (repetition of I, repetition of ‘negative’ words (ie; freak, broken, wrong, never) <technically there is a technique for this but I cannot remember it unfortunately)
Again, the ‘I’ emphasises her yearning for her true sense of identity. Though the words such as freak, broken, wrong and never clearly demonstrates the confronting experience of transitioning. It presents a challenge she must overcome in order to accept her true self but as well as allow society to be accepting of transgender people and eventually develop into a more inclusive and tolerant society in the nearby future.

“When I told my mum what was going on, it was a tear soaked baptism” (metaphor)
Baptism is a metaphor for the renewal of society’s gender expectations and the transformation of society’s values. This also presents that society has finally accepted transgender people through Wachowski’s courage to transition into her true self. This shows the impact of transformative change and society’s shift in former beliefs and attitudes towards transgender people.

“Years late, I find the courage to admit that I am transgender” (repetition of I)
Obviously this late quote shows presents a sense of finality to Wachowski’s transition into her true self. This clearly shows the huge impact of transition when it comes to the formation of an individual’s identity.

If you want to draw similarities between Billy Elliot and Wachowski’s speech, both individuals basically defy societal gender expectations through their transition. They both encounter challenges on the way (due to their non conformist behaviour). Society too undergoes the process of transition as they learn to adjust to Billy and Lana. At the end of their transitions, they’ve come to become their true selves and society learns to become a more accepting version of itself.

You’re always welcome to check out the full transcript right here if you want to use other quotes and other techniques :)

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 06:13:24 pm »
+1
Hey there!

Hey Bea does it ever get tiring being one of the most helpful people on the planet? ;)
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 06:58:42 pm »
+2
Hey Bea does it ever get tiring being one of the most helpful people on the planet? ;)
probably not, she just gets better!  ;)
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 07:03:59 pm »
+1

Of course not ;)

probably not, she just gets better!  ;)

;)

Christine2468

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 11:51:45 pm »
Thankyou!! Also for the differences between the two particular texts, apart from the different transitions e.g. one associating with stereotypes and the other gender, could you also refer to the different societal contexts of each? As, Billy Elliot wasn't necessarily based or set within a contemporary society? Thanks, 
Hey there!

The speech did not only capture Wachowski’s transition but as well as society’s transition into being more inclusive and accepting of transgender people. To get top marks for this module, you need emphasis how Wachowski’s transition challenges society’s gender expectations and how her transition results in new knowledge, ideas, shifts in attitudes and beliefs and a deepened understanding of the self and others (just referencing the Exploring Transitions rubric btw). If you happen to do Society & Culture, check out the information for the ‘Conformity and Non-Conformity’ elective. It’s great for Billy Elliot AND the speech if you want to add a little more ~pizzazz~ to your essay.

Going back to Wachowski’s speech, the way you analyse it is the same way you would analyse a written text. I only used four quotes as evidence because this module is so vague and broad that you can use the same evidence for ANY question. You can always use other quotes and techniques! This module is very similar to Discovery as well, so you may draw ideas from the AOS if you want (but has to be minimal). Just keep on referencing the Exploring Transitions rubric in your essay and you should be sweet!
For this quote, you can say that the repetition of I creates a sense of yearning for Wachowski to explore her true identity. However, the juxtaposition of the ‘girls’ and ‘boys’ obviously illustrates the two worlds Wachowski is stuck between in. She doesn’t fit in with the girls (yet) due to her masculine appearance, but doesn’t fit in with the boys due to her yearn to transition into a female. This quote relates to the following parts of the ET rubric: ‘transitions maybe challenging, confronting … may result in growth, change and a range of consequences’.
Again, the ‘I’ emphasises her yearning for her true sense of identity. Though the words such as freak, broken, wrong and never clearly demonstrates the confronting experience of transitioning. It presents a challenge she must overcome in order to accept her true self but as well as allow society to be accepting of transgender people and eventually develop into a more inclusive and tolerant society in the nearby future.
Baptism is a metaphor for the renewal of society’s gender expectations and the transformation of society’s values. This also presents that society has finally accepted transgender people through Wachowski’s courage to transition into her true self. This shows the impact of transformative change and society’s shift in former beliefs and attitudes towards transgender people.
Obviously this late quote shows presents a sense of finality to Wachowski’s transition into her true self. This clearly shows the huge impact of transition when it comes to the formation of an individual’s identity.

If you want to draw similarities between Billy Elliot and Wachowski’s speech, both individuals basically defy societal gender expectations through their transition. They both encounter challenges on the way (due to their non conformist behaviour). Society too undergoes the process of transition as they learn to adjust to Billy and Lana. At the end of their transitions, they’ve come to become their true selves and society learns to become a more accepting version of itself.

You’re always welcome to check out the full transcript right here if you want to use other quotes and other techniques :)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 12:30:42 pm »
+4
Thankyou!! Also for the differences between the two particular texts, apart from the different transitions e.g. one associating with stereotypes and the other gender, could you also refer to the different societal contexts of each? As, Billy Elliot wasn't necessarily based or set within a contemporary society? Thanks, 

The societal context of Billy Elliot is set within the fictional town of Everington, Durnham which is a coal mining region in the UK. It's also important to note that the film was set during Margaret Thatcher's time as Prime Minister (Thatcherism) and was also during the 1984-1985 coal miners' strike. Most of the males within Everington are coal miners themselves and the strikes have further aggravated their masculinity as an attempt to prevent the mines from being shut down (ie; review all the scenes where the males are within the crowd setting (process of deindividuation). They obviously display hyper-masculinity through violence). The coal mining culture in Everington is also representative of the middle class culture, the collective identity of Everington and traditional male culture. Billy's interest in ballet is a HUGE contrast to the coal mining culture of Everington. How can boy be interested in ballet whilst Everington is experiencing this financial crisis? Ballet is symbolic of the upper class culture. Billy's interest in ballet is not just only a betrayal to male stereotypes but is also the betrayal of the dominant middle class culture in Everington. Even betraying the coal mining strike was considered possibly the worst thing ever that could happen (ie; the scene when Tony calls his former friend a 'scab' at the shop). I can't even imagine how Billy must've felt when he was betraying Everington altogether.

Throughout the entire film, you see Billy slowly transitioning from his micro world (his family context) into the macro world (Royal Ballet School). The song 'Children of the Revolution' (non diegetic sound) is used during the scene when Billy is dancing aggressively in the streets of Everington after his dad discovers he's been participating in ballet lessons instead of his boxing classes. The song is PERFECT evidence for your essay. The 'Children of the Revolution' is representative of the intergenerational differences between Billy and Jackie (his father). Jackie (who has grown up in Everington his entire life and is a coal miner himself) is a believer in toxic masculinity where males display acts of violence in order to reassure their manliness in the fear of being called 'homosexual' or 'weak'. However the way Billy displays his 'acts of violence' is through the fluidity of his dancing. This comes to show the different ways males can be males. It also shows Billy's capacity to defy gender stereotypes and the working class culture.

As for the societal context of Wachowski's, it is a timeline starting from her childhood to 2012 (when she received the award). During her childhood, not that many transgender people have came out yet because of conservative ideas within society, gender stereotypes and the fear of social change. However as time went on more transgender people have come out, allowing for Wachowski to come out herself. This is possibly due to the rise of technology where news can be easily announced around the world and social issues have been brought to light. Less transgender people are afraid of coming out because society has become more tolerant and accepting of communities beyond cis-gendered people. However it's important to note that conservative societies still do exist today! Even though Wachowski's announcement as a transgender woman may not have completely transformed everyone's opinions. But the fact that she won the HRC Visibility Award in 2012 comes to show that society is slowly accepting transgender people for who they are, which can eventually lead up to evolutionary and transformative change for an inclusive and tolerant society in the nearby future.

If you happen to do Society & Culture, the information from the 'Social and Cultural Continuity and Change' and 'Conformity and Non-Conformity' topics are PERFECT for Billy Elliot and Wachowski's speech. I cannot stress this enough! But if you don't, the information is definitely worth a read ;)

Hope this helps! :)

Christine2468

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 12:26:38 am »
Oh ok, thanks and just ensuring, would some of the evidence stated e.g. 'Children of the Revolution', non-diagetic sound also be perfect for distinctive voices? Sorry, thanks
The societal context of Billy Elliot is set within the fictional town of Everington, Durnham which is a coal mining region in the UK. It's also important to note that the film was set during Margaret Thatcher's time as Prime Minister (Thatcherism) and was also during the 1984-1985 coal miners' strike. Most of the males within Everington are coal miners themselves and the strikes have further aggravated their masculinity as an attempt to prevent the mines from being shut down (ie; review all the scenes where the males are within the crowd setting (process of deindividuation). They obviously display hyper-masculinity through violence). The coal mining culture in Everington is also representative of the middle class culture, the collective identity of Everington and traditional male culture. Billy's interest in ballet is a HUGE contrast to the coal mining culture of Everington. How can boy be interested in ballet whilst Everington is experiencing this financial crisis? Ballet is symbolic of the upper class culture. Billy's interest in ballet is not just only a betrayal to male stereotypes but is also the betrayal of the dominant middle class culture in Everington. Even betraying the coal mining strike was considered possibly the worst thing ever that could happen (ie; the scene when Tony calls his former friend a 'scab' at the shop). I can't even imagine how Billy must've felt when he was betraying Everington altogether.

Throughout the entire film, you see Billy slowly transitioning from his micro world (his family context) into the macro world (Royal Ballet School). The song 'Children of the Revolution' (non diegetic sound) is used during the scene when Billy is dancing aggressively in the streets of Everington after his dad discovers he's been participating in ballet lessons instead of his boxing classes. The song is PERFECT evidence for your essay. The 'Children of the Revolution' is representative of the intergenerational differences between Billy and Jackie (his father). Jackie (who has grown up in Everington his entire life and is a coal miner himself) is a believer in toxic masculinity where males display acts of violence in order to reassure their manliness in the fear of being called 'homosexual' or 'weak'. However the way Billy displays his 'acts of violence' is through the fluidity of his dancing. This comes to show the different ways males can be males. It also shows Billy's capacity to defy gender stereotypes and the working class culture.

As for the societal context of Wachowski's, it is a timeline starting from her childhood to 2012 (when she received the award). During her childhood, not that many transgender people have came out yet because of conservative ideas within society, gender stereotypes and the fear of social change. However as time went on more transgender people have come out, allowing for Wachowski to come out herself. This is possibly due to the rise of technology where news can be easily announced around the world and social issues have been brought to light. Less transgender people are afraid of coming out because society has become more tolerant and accepting of communities beyond cis-gendered people. However it's important to note that conservative societies still do exist today! Even though Wachowski's announcement as a transgender woman may not have completely transformed everyone's opinions. But the fact that she won the HRC Visibility Award in 2012 comes to show that society is slowly accepting transgender people for who they are, which can eventually lead up to evolutionary and transformative change for an inclusive and tolerant society in the nearby future.

If you happen to do Society & Culture, the information from the 'Social and Cultural Continuity and Change' and 'Conformity and Non-Conformity' topics are PERFECT for Billy Elliot and Wachowski's speech. I cannot stress this enough! But if you don't, the information is definitely worth a read ;)

Hope this helps! :)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 12:31:00 pm »
Oh ok, thanks and just ensuring, would some of the evidence stated e.g. 'Children of the Revolution', non-diagetic sound also be perfect for distinctive voices? Sorry, thanks

I didn't do Distinctive Voices (I did Distinctively Visual) but both electives are similar so the song 'Children of the Revolution' would be perfect as an ORT for Distinctive Voices :)

Christine2468

• Adventurer
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 09:05:44 pm »
Oh ok, thanks,
I didn't do Distinctive Voices (I did Distinctively Visual) but both electives are similar so the song 'Children of the Revolution' would be perfect as an ORT for Distinctive Voices :)