Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:20:59 am

Author Topic: HSC Geography Exam Discussion!!  (Read 10609 times)  Share 

Annie657

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +8
HSC Geography Exam Discussion!!
« on: October 31, 2017, 01:08:28 pm »
+3
Hi guys,

So I just though I would start one of these because one doesn't exist yet!  :)

How did everyone find it?? Did you like the essay questions?? What about that time consuming cross section and précis map!  :-\
2017 HSC: Adv English | Mathematics | Maths Ext 1 | Chemistry | Biology | Geography |

2018-2022: MBBS at Western Sydney University :)

lcamilleri.53

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: HSC Geography Exam Discussion!!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 01:11:20 pm »
I thought there was a lot of trick questions in the multiple choice, short answers and essay were decent (ecosystems and economic activity)

Annie657

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 01:18:51 pm »
I thought there was a lot of trick questions in the multiple choice, short answers and essay were decent (ecosystems and economic activity)

Yeah the first question was a bit trippy, and that time of day one? Like is that even in the syllabus?? Yeah they were ok, I didn't like the urban dynamics essay, but I was stuck with it cause I never study ecosystems properly.
2017 HSC: Adv English | Mathematics | Maths Ext 1 | Chemistry | Biology | Geography |

lcamilleri.53

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 01:21:04 pm »
Yep those were the ones I was going to say for multiple choice + local relief if you didn't know the content. Urban dynamics essay was unapproachable but viticulture fitted great with the ecological sustainability and GBR fitted decent with the ecosystems question (if I'm not mistaken was exactly the same as CSSA trials).

lcamilleri.53

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 01:22:12 pm »
Also making people spell Icelandic cities is just torturing them. Thanks NESA

sarahhamilton

• Adventurer
  • I'm still in the denial phase of turning eighteen
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 01:59:09 pm »
Some of the multiple choice questions were just weird. "What time of day was the photo taken?" I think that's just an obscure question on cardinal directions?

The short answer was pretty standard, I think. But I definitely didn't like the Urban Places essay question. I feel like it was so strangely phrased.
Subjects: Advanced English, General 2 Maths, Business Studies, Legal Studies, Geography

lcamilleri.53

• Trailblazer
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 02:06:36 pm »
+1
What did people actually put for the time of day. I put 3pm (C) and I'm 100% not sure

Annie657

• Forum Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 02:10:53 pm »
What did people actually put for the time of day. I put 3pm (C) and I'm 100% not sure

I did 3pm too! Mostly a guess though .And I also didn't read the cross section question properly too to I didn't put in a feature :/

ryan_27

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 05:50:46 pm »
I did 3pm too, I didn't even consider urban places. I thought it would be from the dominance and dependence dot point, maybe even the regional centres and small towns part because that's never been an essay. Oh well, I suppose next year the longing can continue for them. And global activity again? I think this is the 1st time it's been 3 years in a row. Overall it was just a fiddly exam, so many little things that could go unnoticed. I only just saw the human bit in the transect and I was lucky to pick up the nature reserve bit in the geothermal energy or whatever it was in MC

vivabim

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 06:17:58 pm »
Yeah I agree weird exam, sorry the economic activity question was weird....not even from syllabus and legit every geo question is pulled from stimulus. EAR question was good the same as my trial but I am annoyed they only asked for ONE ecossytem I legit learnt so much for that exam and I dont think it was tested.....

younglad22

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 07:30:16 pm »
What did you guys get for the gradient and VE question?

lcamilleri.53

• Trailblazer
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 07:59:16 pm »
I got -1:32 for the gradient (I don't know in geography if they acknowledge downhill in gradients but there was definitely a fall in the height from P to Q) and 8 for the VE I think

jasminesadiqi

• Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2017, 08:03:34 pm »
I got -1:32 for the gradient (I don't know in geography if they acknowledge downhill in gradients but there was definitely a fall in the height from P to Q) and 8 for the VE I think

waittt did you get 8 from rounding it off??

HSCNewcastle2017

• Trailblazer
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2017, 08:36:19 pm »
Did anyone attempt the essay question on global economic activity?

mattmorley

• Trailblazer
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2017, 10:01:18 pm »
Yeh i did and when i first looked at it i thought it was enterprise then realised it was activity
HSC 2017

Standard English
General Maths
Studies of Religion 2
Business Studies
Geography