Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 06:03:32 am

Author Topic: .  (Read 1257 times)

ilovemycat

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« on: October 31, 2017, 11:21:40 pm »
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 05:23:59 pm by ilovemycat »

matthewtropea

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +4
Re: What does this tree mean???!?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 12:06:23 am »
+10
Hey :D,

I'm not an ATAR Notes wizard or anything but I'm happy to help.

First of all I just wanted to say awesome work on the sculpture! As someone who fails at any and all things involving creativity I think that your final product is really cool - so great job on that!

Personally, I see the trunk of the tree (the books) as the accumulation of knowledge that each student would develop over the course of their education, while the branches (pencils) reflect the practical application and use of this knowledge within everyday life post school within the workforce, university, etc.(I'm not sure if the leaves are meant to mean something as well, but I did see them as an extension of the branch in terms of individuals gaining enjoyment and fulfilment from their life as well-rounded educated citizens - for example, being able to read and appreciate literature).

Now to your reflection, I don't think your idea is horrible at all. It's definitely a very original idea and hopefully totally unique to you because that's an angle I would have never looked at it from.

From my own personal experience with reflection tasks the marker/teacher is never looking to criticise your idea. The purpose of the reflection is for you to be able to justify why you've chosen whatever idea you're presenting and why you're presenting it the way you do (and a whole bunch of other reflective mumbo jumbo stuff). For example, I had a creative writing task for Ext1 this year and we needed to compose a reflection statement justifying certain aspects of the story. My teacher didn't enjoy my story at all tbh and so the mark for that was pretty bleh BUT I put in some pretty solid effort in my reflection justifying the choices I made in my story and despite the fact that my teacher may have not actually enjoyed my implementation of those concepts/techniques/etc, in the reflection they could totally see and understand why I did what I did and marked me based on my justification alone.

^The point of all that is really just to say that your reflection should totally just be about what you are trying to show through the sculpture e.g. the idea you wrote. I really do think its a lot easier to write a reflection statement about your work if you're actually justifying the original ideas and concepts behind it because its your interpretation of it - but feel free to maybe draw some inspiration from my interpretation of your tree :).

Hope that was helpful and good luck with the assessment!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: What does this tree mean???!?
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 12:12:26 am »
Hey :D,

I'm not an ATAR Notes wizard or anything but I'm happy to help.

You look like a wizard to me - Welcome to the forums my friend! :)