Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 06:48:39 am

Author Topic: Sudden/carfully planned discoveries in tempest  (Read 2693 times)

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
Sudden/carfully planned discoveries in tempest
« on: December 03, 2017, 09:55:17 pm »
Title literally says it all
Can anyone point out some unexpected/carefully planned discoveries, AT ALL
Question is: "Weather a discovery is unexpected or emerges from careful planning it can still reveal surprising consequences"
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

SSSS

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
Re: Sudden/carfully planned discoveries in tempest
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 11:29:26 pm »
+5
Hey. Ok the Tempest is PERFECT for controlled discoveres. Look at Prospero and his actions. He is the impresario, he controls everyone's discoveries from the moment he plans the tempest. And this enables Shakespeare to reveal how magic and other instruments that are used to CONTROL events, people etc. is ineffective as it limits prosperos DISCOVERIES. That is why he grows at the end, as he lets go of the magic and adopts finer human values (which ultimately is learning the capacity to forgive). This was my paragraph on Prospero that I write in the hsc:

Discoveries proffer individuals the opportunity to reassess and transform their previous values. Shakespeare explores this notion in ‘The Tempest’ through his characterisation of Prospero, who reconciles his inner conflict to seek vengeance through his discovery of the capacity to forgive. From the outset, Shakespeare employs the symbolism of the eponymous tempest to portray Prospero’s initial retribution towards his brother who usurped his dukedom.
As the impresario, Prospero’s “magic garment” and “books” enable him to control and appraise the other characters that limits his exposure to experience authentic self discoveries. He is "surprised with all" when observing the discourse between Miranda and Ferdinand, as he expresses his joy at the success of his engineering of their mutual discovery of romantic love. However, the limitation of his "art" results from his impresario-like figure directing other people's discovery processes, restricting his ability to self-discover in an authentic way. Prospero reappraises his perspective onto himself and others through the mournful atmosphere manifested through the use of assonance when Ariel proclaims “good old lord Gonzalo”, ultimately leading Prospero’s realisation of the severity of his abusive actions. Prospero declares “my charms I’ll break” illustrating though the use of dialogue that his relinquishment of magic results from his realisation that the "rarer action is in virtue than in vengeance”. The antithesis demonstrates Prospero’s antagonistic nature has been superseded by the discovery of finer human values including forgiveness as he pleads for the audience to “let your indulgence set me free”. Ultimately, discoveries are fundamental for a reappraisal of individual’s values as they broaden ones understandings of aspects of the human experience. 

Hope that helps and wasn't too late!!!

inescelic

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
Re: Sudden/carfully planned discoveries in tempest
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 12:15:47 am »
+2
Title literally says it all
Can anyone point out some unexpected/carefully planned discoveries, AT ALL
Question is: "Weather a discovery is unexpected or emerges from careful planning it can still reveal surprising consequences"

Hi,

So SSSS discussed some really good points, but I just have a few more ideas to share.
As mentioned, The Tempest is really founded on the ramifications of Prospero's careful planning as shown through his complete control of the events on the island. Through his controlling behaviour, facilitated by his magic, he aims for the other characters i.e. Alonso, Antonio to discover their own flaws and develop remorse. However, what Shakespeare demonstrates in this play, is that despite one's calculations, we can cannot evoke remorse from others and instead, one's autonomy and initiative is key to self reflection, thus that it would be futile to evoke remorse in others as evidenced by Antonio's indifference at the end of the play.
So, if I was evaluating this statement, I would say something like: "Although carefully planned discoveries may lead to profound change in the individual and their world, undoubtedly, unexpected discoveries are integral in offering surprising new insights into one's self identity and the value of relationships."
^Note that I don't think you should fully discount planned discoveries, as remember that Prospero's plans did actually engender Alonso's change.
The way that I structured my essays for AOS involved an exploration of self-discovery and then discovery about the world/relationships.
So in relation to your question:
Consequences on one's identity:
-Despite, Prospero's orchestration of events, he is unexpectedly faced with the detriment of his own pursuit and value for magic. Although he is confronted with the immorality of his manipulation, this unexpected discovery prompts him to develop a new identity, devoid of magic and control, also accepting the detriment of his pursuit for knowledge and power.
-However, Prospero's careful planning evoked profound change in Alonso, who was able to reflect on his own immorality (usurpation) and seek virtue.
Some quotes/ Techniques:
- Dramatic irony elucidates his careful planning e.g. "it goes on I see as my soul prompts it"-> later the symbolism of "break his staff" and "drown the book" reflects his renouncement and the consequence of his unexpected self realisation
- Alonso's remorseful tone -> "pardon (him) (his) wrongs"
Consequences on one's views on the world:
-Prospero discovers the futility of his power and meticulous planning in evoking empathy from others, and comes to appreciate the importance of forgiveness.
-Caliban also experiences an unexpected discovery into his own foolishness in believing the "gods", Stephano and Trinculo. This is in light of his preconceived idea of 'freedom' outside of Prospero's control, which reconciles his relationship with Prospero (consequence on relationships).
Some quotes/ Techniques:
- Rhyming couplet-> "as your crimes pardoned be let your indulgence set me free" -> As Prospero unexpectedly learns that flaws are universal to all human beings and comes to value forgiveness
-Caliban's reassuring tone within "I'll be wise hereafter"-> unexpected considering his plans to kill Prospero and thus highlights redemptive power of discoveries.

Hope this helps :)
2017 HSC:
English Advanced: 92 Mathematics: 91
Biology: 94 Legal Studies: 97 (13th in NSW) French Continuers: 85
Mathematics Extension 1: 42
Offering Tutoring in English Advanced, Biology and Legal Studies-> I can provide you with both the knowledge and the exam technique to ace your exams. I also offer very detailed and constructive feedback on your responses. -> Can meet up at libraries in the Sydney area for $30/hr -> PM me if interested.