Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 08:00:29 pm

Author Topic: Failing Area of Study  (Read 1126 times)

hnaisara

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Failing Area of Study
« on: December 11, 2017, 04:19:15 pm »
If I fail the area of study can I get a band 5 or 6?

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
Re: Failing Area of Study
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 04:41:00 pm »
+2
If I fail the area of study can I get a band 5 or 6?
Yo! Welcome to the forums!  :)
So pretty much AOS for year 12 is wroth 40% of your hsc mark (Modules is 60%-20% each!). So if you are absolutely bomb at the modules, then you'll be fine. Define failing, because some people i know were getting 7/15s for aos and still killed it later on!
If you're in advanced and you're failing the essay especially, then it might be good to drop to standard. Standards module essays are usually easier, by quite a bit than advanced (don't quote me 100% on that!).
But at the end of the day, if you get 7/15s in aos-meaning you get roughly 21/45 (which is still not bad!) and do pretty well on the modules then you should  get some decent marks come this time next year!

All in all, no matter how much you're failing AOS, its not the end of the world! Life will go on!
Aos is not worth lots and lots of time worrying about (obiviously work at it, but dont go over the top). You'll be fine, you got this!  :)
Keep on grinding!  8)
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 09:58:10 pm »
+3
Hey!
Just adding onto Mada438's answer, it is definitely possible to get a Band 5/6 even when you failed the AOS. The AOS is just 1/4 of your english studies. You still have Mod A-C to study later on next year. At this point, it's all about improving and getting that feedback from your teachers. Go over your mistakes in your AOS and work on your weaknesses. Plus the weighting for the AOS assessment task isn't as heavy compared to the trial and HSC. My AOS' weighting was around ~15% and my trial was weighted at 40%. So if you failed your AOS, it's not gonna heavily impact your overall HSC mark next year. What matters is how you perform in your exam because that's worth 50% of your HSC mark. But by then, you would've had 10 months of additional study. As long as you keep working through your modules, but as well working through your AOS again, you can certainly get a Band 5/6 next year! After my AOS assessment task, I was ranked at 15th out of 40. I continually submitted essays and getting feedback from my teacher. I did practice questions, improved my creative and did short answers in timed conditions. At the end of my HSC, I ended up ranking 4th.

Don't let this one failure distract you from your goal. You can do it!
Good luck!
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

Lumenoria

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 10:20:56 pm »
+1

Hey!
Just adding onto Mada438's answer, it is definitely possible to get a Band 5/6 even when you failed the AOS. The AOS is just 1/4 of your english studies. You still have Mod A-C to study later on next year. At this point, it's all about improving and getting that feedback from your teachers. Go over your mistakes in your AOS and work on your weaknesses. Plus the weighting for the AOS assessment task isn't as heavy compared to the trial and HSC. My AOS' weighting was around ~15% and my trial was weighted at 40%. So if you failed your AOS, it's not gonna heavily impact your overall HSC mark next year. What matters is how you perform in your exam because that's worth 50% of your HSC mark. But by then, you would've had 10 months of additional study. As long as you keep working through your modules, but as well working through your AOS again, you can certainly get a Band 5/6 next year! After my AOS assessment task, I was ranked at 15th out of 40. I continually submitted essays and getting feedback from my teacher. I did practice questions, improved my creative and did short answers in timed conditions. At the end of my HSC, I ended up ranking 4th.

Don't let this one failure distract you from your goal. You can do it!
Good luck!
This makes me feel so much better, because I had my AOS assessment today and I completely misread the question for the mini essay and didn't use the text that was "prescribed" for it UGHHH because I thought it was like a normal paper where you choose your own.
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 07:44:26 am »
+1
Is there anything we can do to help with your AOS result? Is there a particular section of Paper One that's causing the greatest concern?
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!