Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:47:06 pm

Author Topic: A related text for anyone who ever needs one  (Read 7556 times)

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
A related text for anyone who ever needs one
« on: January 04, 2018, 02:19:39 pm »
+12
Hey!
So if you're reading this, you're probably someone who still hasn't done AOS, but will be next term and is searching fervently for a related text. Or you have already completed AOS and you used a related text that you found at 4am, on the morning of the exam and so you think you might need a new one. OR you had a perfectly decent related text, but you want to have an extra one up your sleeve.
It doesn't really matter, because your here now and i have written this short guide outlining one of my related texts (with some links to AOS of course) for you to use as one of yours.
My text is: The poem "Ozymandias" By Percy Shelly in 1816
What is it?It is about discovering the ephemeral nature of life and the inevitable destruction of all civilizations regardless of their power (sudden and unexpected discovery, confronting and intensely meaningful, emotional, intellectual-some examples from the rubric, but there is more).
'Ozymandias' was consumed by his desire for power, but in the end, he is simply a broken statue in the desert.
Ozymandias explores varying notions of discovery. As we follow the narrators tale, we discover that man is mortal but that art and language remains. Although written in 1816, responders today are able to challenge and question man and his actions and his imprint on nature.
Context?Ozymandias was a Greek name for pharaoh Ramesses II, who ruled Egypt from 1279 BCE to 1213 BCE, in the 19th Dynasty of Ancient Egypt.
For anyone in advanced doing 'The Tempest' as their perscribed:PROSPERO was also consumed by power, however he also discovers the fleeting nature of life and changes his ways.
By combining this idea with the above statement regarding the poem, you could create a concept that would work for both texts equally well (leave out the changing ways bit, because 'ozymandias' does not include that).
I included this reference to the tempest because that is my AOS related text.

When looking at whether its actually RELATED, it doesn't have to be, sometimes its better to have a text that has completely different themes to your perscribed text, but that depends on the person. Also different people can find different ways that texts relate. Remember you can say it relates in any way shape or form AS LONG AS YOU BACK UP/EXPLAIN HOW IT DOES

Annotations:

My apologies to anyone who cannot read my annotations properly, this was done very roughly on my computer-my handwritten annotated copy was even harder to read!
Anyway...
Discovery Ideas:The rediscovery of the forgotten statue of Ozymandias is the central feature of the poem as Shelly expounds how the memory of the king's passion and emotion continues to survive, through "the sneer of cold command." Shelly compels the responder to explore the secrets of Ozymandias, by dislocating himself from the poem in the first stanza.
Whilst reading this poem, the responder is prompted to experience a revelation as an understanding that the acts of all past civilization are now worthless, is explored. Ozymandias' statue symbolizes the ephemeral nature of all individuals.

Analysis:
Line 5: "cold command"-alliteration-a harsh sound which echoes the kings heartless instruction. The imperative, "Tell" uttered by the king captures his arrogance and authority.
Line 10: Hyperbole-reinforces his arrogance and the notion that because he was sculpted larger than life that this would retain his story, his leadership, his monuments
Line 11: The sense of irony-the King's words remains-irony-this is the power of language and art
Line 12: Inversion-stresses the "nothing"-his life's work has come and gone-as do civilizations
Line 13: The exaggerated extended vowel "o" in "colossal" and "round" serve to highlight both the magnitude and the crumbling of his rule.
Line 14: The alliteration of "I" in "level" and "lone" emphasize the endless scope of nature-there is no boundary-nature survives,nature is ever present

Some links with some more analysis,themes etc on the poem:
eNotes.com
CliffsNotes
SparkNotes

So there you have it! Another related Text!
I hope this hopes you on your rollercoaster ride through HSC English Area of Study!
If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask me!
Good luck!!  :)

"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: A related text for anyone who ever needs one
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 05:17:14 pm »
+1
Thanks Mada! You're outstanding. I'm going to link to this thread in the AOS Related Text List thread!!

Edit: Click on the poetry tab here to see it!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 05:24:50 pm by elysepopplewell »
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 05:32:49 pm »
This will really help future students, both those who are choosing, and some that may have left it to the last minute!

Are you hoping others could post a similar analysis of their own texts on here, or do you want to keep it just for your own?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 05:36:26 pm »
This will really help future students, both those who are choosing, and some that may have left it to the last minute!

Are you hoping others could post a similar analysis of their own texts on here, or do you want to keep it just for your own?

I'd love for other students to share their related texts like Mada has! I'll link them to the big related text suggestion thread we have too :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!