Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:03:21 am

Author Topic: English Notes  (Read 1390 times)

aadharmg

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
English Notes
« on: January 21, 2018, 02:43:40 pm »
So my English teachers have advised me to create a set of notes for Discovery before the half yearlies so I am well and truly familiar with the texts and can come back to it whenever. I personally study best when I have a set of personalised notes. For English, however, I have tried so hard to make notes that I feel good about, but I can not get past just compiling a list of quotes that are differentiated based on themes in the texts. To make them even more detailed and sophisticated, what more things should I add to the notes?

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
Re: English Notes
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 03:36:03 pm »
+5
Hey,
For the discovery module, your main focus should be on the concepts of discovery rather than themes within the text (the latter can often lead to a lot of plot detailing if you're not careful). So, try to arrange your quotes by the discoveries made rather than the themes. I usually start with the most obvious discoveries. I did Motorcycle Diaries, so there were a lot of physical discoveries being made by Guevara himself.

So, the way I arranged my quotes was:

--- INDIVIDUAL ---
Physical discoveries
-> Curious nature of Guevara drives himself to physically explore : quote
-> Speculative nature of Guevara's old ideas are underpinned by his discoveries : quote
-> Physical discoveries also lead to spiritual and emotional discoveries : quote

Spiritual discoveries
-> Spiritual exploration are often the result of emergence of unexpected discoveries : quote
etc.

I believe this is a better approach because it forces you into the mindset of what examiners want -- your perspective on discoveries being formed within the text, and then your interpretation of what it means to the audience. They also allow you to make sure you're on the right track in terms of the direction of your essay. You don't want to be retelling the synopsis to a chapter of the text when that could have been used for deeper connections to the module's area of study, discovery.

aadharmg

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 04:00:56 pm »
+2
Hey,
For the discovery module, your main focus should be on the concepts of discovery rather than themes within the text (the latter can often lead to a lot of plot detailing if you're not careful). So, try to arrange your quotes by the discoveries made rather than the themes. I usually start with the most obvious discoveries. I did Motorcycle Diaries, so there were a lot of physical discoveries being made by Guevara himself.

So, the way I arranged my quotes was:

--- INDIVIDUAL ---
Physical discoveries
-> Curious nature of Guevara drives himself to physically explore : quote
-> Speculative nature of Guevara's old ideas are underpinned by his discoveries : quote
-> Physical discoveries also lead to spiritual and emotional discoveries : quote

Spiritual discoveries
-> Spiritual exploration are often the result of emergence of unexpected discoveries : quote
etc.

I believe this is a better approach because it forces you into the mindset of what examiners want -- your perspective on discoveries being formed within the text, and then your interpretation of what it means to the audience. They also allow you to make sure you're on the right track in terms of the direction of your essay. You don't want to be retelling the synopsis to a chapter of the text when that could have been used for deeper connections to the module's area of study, discovery.
This is actually extremely helpful. I think a new approach like this can benefit me big time. Thank you!

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 04:21:33 pm »
This is actually extremely helpful. I think a new approach like this can benefit me big time. Thank you!
No problem! Let me know how you go with this new approach.

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 08:58:55 pm »
+5
Another thing with English, if you're like me and struggle with finishing your evidence compilation, is you can make mind maps. Maybe it's just cause I'm a more artsy kid but I found that making mind maps and diagrams of my textual evidence for each discovery concept really good. But yes, I definatley agree with opengangs to organise evidence thematically according to the types of discovery found in the rubric, so you can formulate your own ideas of how discovery is shown in your text.
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

theyam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 10:21:26 am »
+1
hello~

Have you checked out Emily Tyrell's presentation on how to make Discovery notes? I found it really useful, you can download it from the notes section.

Good luck