Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 08:52:46 am

Author Topic: DISCOVERY RUBRIC SYNONYM TABLE  (Read 2697 times)

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
DISCOVERY RUBRIC SYNONYM TABLE
« on: January 22, 2018, 09:35:57 am »
+8
Hey guys!

It can be quite difficult to achieve top marks when writing AOS essays in the HSC. There are approximately 70,000 students competing against you, so clearly you need to ensure that your essay stands out. One of the simplest ways to do that is through synonyms. To obtain high marks in any English essay, a wide vocabulary is vital! As a result, before the HSC, I went through each syllabus dot point and found synonyms for all the key terms that would be used. For instance, instead of always referring to sudden and unexpected discoveries, words such as unanticipated, abrupt, surprising and startling can be used to replace them. It is a simple way to ensure that your essay appears more thoughtfully constructed!

I have attached my synonym table below to look at and add to! Let me know if you have any questions :)

HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: DISCOVERY RUBRIC SYNONYM TABLE
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 01:51:23 pm »
+2
A lot of people struggle to avoid sounding repetitive when trying to bring home a point in an essay in a strong way. This will surely help a whole bunch of people. Thanks Dancing Phalanges!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

jswimj

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 08:52:34 pm »
Thank you, this is really helpful!

Just wondering is there are any more synonymous terms for confronting and provocative?

Thank you!

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 09:24:43 pm »
+2
Thank you, this is really helpful!

Just wondering is there are any more synonymous terms for confronting and provocative?

Thank you!

Hey!
Unfortunately I remember looking on every synonym page when I completed this and that was one of the ones where there were not many to choose from! That was all I could find that I found relevant - sorry!
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

jswimj

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 10:10:15 pm »
All good, thanks anyways :)