Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:05:50 pm

Author Topic: Robert Frost Confronting and Provocative? Help Please!  (Read 1603 times)

jswimj

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Robert Frost Confronting and Provocative? Help Please!
« on: January 22, 2018, 11:17:41 am »
Hi Everyone!
In class we were given a practice AOS essay to write, the question being "Discoveries can be confronting and provocative" - Analyse how your prescribed text and 1 related text support or oppose this view.

My prescribed text is Robert Frost poetry (We have to chose 2 poems), and I was going to choose Stopping by the woods and tuft of flowers, but I'm not sure how these two, or any of his poems are confronting and provocative and what areas of discovery they explore.

My related text i chose was "Witness" which i think suits.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)
Thank you!!!!! :D

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
Re: Robert Frost Confronting and Provocative? Help Please!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 11:47:11 am »
+6
Hey, jswimj!

I didn't do the prescribed so this is purely to give you inspiration to approaching the question in new angles.

Confronting and provocative discoveries don't necessarily have to be physical discoveries that the characters face. They can be thought-provoking, challenging the ideas set out by the characters within the text and often leading to some sort of growth within the characters themselves (whether it be creative, intellectual, spiritual, or just physical). The discoveries they encounter can change the way they view the world, or they can be an inspiration for the characters to undertake new discoveries.

The provoking nature of discovery can also lead individuals to explore deeper insights about themselves as people, and to drive them to new breakthroughs. These discoveries can also allow deeper connections to old ideas, and from there, transcend themselves to explore the new ideas in light of these old values. Like confrontation, provocative discoveries lead individuals to some sort of growth -- usually metaphysical growth, but it can also be a physical one as well.

Hopefully, these deeper ideas give you some direction with the text you've been prescribed!

jswimj

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 12:35:35 pm »
+1
Hey Opengangs,

This is AMAZING!!! I never truly understood the question, but now I've got a better idea of what it's asking for.

Thanks Heaps!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 01:53:49 pm »
+3
Hey, jswimj!

I didn't do the prescribed so this is purely to give you inspiration to approaching the question in new angles.

Confronting and provocative discoveries don't necessarily have to be physical discoveries that the characters face. They can be thought-provoking, challenging the ideas set out by the characters within the text and often leading to some sort of growth within the characters themselves (whether it be creative, intellectual, spiritual, or just physical). The discoveries they encounter can change the way they view the world, or they can be an inspiration for the characters to undertake new discoveries.

The provoking nature of discovery can also lead individuals to explore deeper insights about themselves as people, and to drive them to new breakthroughs. These discoveries can also allow deeper connections to old ideas, and from there, transcend themselves to explore the new ideas in light of these old values. Like confrontation, provocative discoveries lead individuals to some sort of growth -- usually metaphysical growth, but it can also be a physical one as well.

Hopefully, these deeper ideas give you some direction with the text you've been prescribed!

You've done it again opengangs! Thanks for being so insightful :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!