Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 02:06:40 am

Author Topic: Need some creative writing advice  (Read 1812 times)

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
Need some creative writing advice
« on: February 14, 2018, 05:13:29 pm »
Hi...

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on my two following queries:

1. When I started out to write my story, - which is sci-fi - I really wanted it to be obvious that it was an intellectual discovery. However, after my draft, it seems to read more like a physical discovery? How can I modify it so that the intellectual discovery is more evident?

2. For a non-linear plot, how do I make sure that the characterisation is super strong even though the story starts straight into the action (media res format)?

Sorry for being so vague... Any advice would be lovely!  ;D
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
Re: Need some creative writing advice
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 11:02:01 pm »
Hi...

1. When I started out to write my story, - which is sci-fi - I really wanted it to be obvious that it was an intellectual discovery. However, after my draft, it seems to read more like a physical discovery? How can I modify it so that the intellectual discovery is more evident?

2. For a non-linear plot, how do I make sure that the characterisation is super strong even though the story starts straight into the action (media res format)?

Hey! Would love to help with both questions but it is hard to do so without actually reading the parts of your story you are worried about! If you could post it I can then give you specific ideas :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 12:36:04 pm »
+2
Hi...

For question 2: remember that you don't need to give an opening that introduces everything we need to know about the character immediately. Strong characterisation can happen slowly and gradually as well. If you're following a non-linear plot, you just have to think a little harder about what would be appropriate to know at different stages. Just to make sure your discovery and character development are in sync :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

kauac

• Forum Leader
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 04:23:39 pm »
+1
For question 2: remember that you don't need to give an opening that introduces everything we need to know about the character immediately. Strong characterisation can happen slowly and gradually as well. If you're following a non-linear plot, you just have to think a little harder about what would be appropriate to know at different stages. Just to make sure your discovery and character development are in sync :)

Hi...
Yes, that's very true... I think I prefer adding information about the character as I go along, rather then dumping it all at the start!

Hey! Would love to help with both questions but it is hard to do so without actually reading the parts of your story you are worried about! If you could post it I can then give you specific ideas :)

That's the plan... I am just in the process of making some well needed changes, then I will post it to the marking sections (probs in a few weeks time).

Thanks to you both for being so helpful!  : :)

dcesaona

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 12:05:04 pm »
+1

1. You could identify the parts of your story that represent the intellectual discovery and try and emulate that all throughout.
2. Through the action, the character's personality still comes through (e.g. the way they deal with things etc.) so I doesn't matter that the non-linear structure doesn't reveal everything straight away. I also like the fact that it starts with the action because it draws the reader in.

I'm sure your creative is amazing. Good luck!  :)
2018 HSC

kauac

• Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 08:18:38 am »
A random question I have been wrestling with lately:

Do sci-fi stories, by nature, have to include a lot of physical action?

I find that some of my clarity problems arise from overcomplicating the plot with unnecessary action that doesn't necessarily contribute that much to the concept of discovery..As in, my plot sort of follows something along the lines of: this happened, and then they did this, and this happened, and then they did this etc.

I think that my strengths would probably be better invested in focusing on one or two key moments, rather than a series, because I tend to thrive in fluffy descriptions and meanings...But not sure if this is attainable as a sci-fi story?

What are your thoughts?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 10:14:52 am »
+2
A random question I have been wrestling with lately:

Do sci-fi stories, by nature, have to include a lot of physical action?

I find that some of my clarity problems arise from overcomplicating the plot with unnecessary action that doesn't necessarily contribute that much to the concept of discovery..As in, my plot sort of follows something along the lines of: this happened, and then they did this, and this happened, and then they did this etc.

I think that my strengths would probably be better invested in focusing on one or two key moments, rather than a series, because I tend to thrive in fluffy descriptions and meanings...But not sure if this is attainable as a sci-fi story?

What are your thoughts?

I personally would say this is because a big part of science fiction is the world building, and world building can take lots of time that you definitely don't have.

But if the premise is, at its core, simple - Then yeah you can absolutely use science fiction! Like, you can't create Star Wars. Even though that story series is a great Discovery story (probably, I've not seen all the movies, aha) it's not what you can action here. Too much to explain, too much to set out. You'd be looking at something like an episode of Black Mirror, where the changes are minor enough that its really just our regular world space, but with a little twist. Then you can write a story as you normally would ;D

Science fiction is just taking any element of our world today and extending it an endpoint. Maybe your story is just a priest reflecting on his life in an age where religion has become outlawed. It doesn't need to be a big elaborate thing, and no, it doesn't need a lot of physical action ;D

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 12:51:17 pm »
+3
Going back to your first dilemma, think about the broader scope of an intellectual discovery - restricting your own perceptions of intellectual discoveries to just an "intelligent" or eureka moment hinders the growth of personal growth and ideas. So, take a moment and step outside the "physical" realm of intellectual discoveries, and consider ways a character could perhaps demonstrate growth of thought, growth of spiritualism, or even just growth of character.

Intellectual discoveries, at its core, discusses breakthroughs and new insights about humanity. It allows the audience to connect with the character in an entirely new dimension - it causes them to think more closely about certain ideas, values, and attitudes. One of the most well-known intellectual discoveries was the wheel. Perhaps, you could use this to aid your own critical thinking about discovery.

You could very well link it closely with other core discovery values, such as spiritualism - critical thinking (intellectual discoveries) elevates spiritualistic ideas for the audience -, adventure - innovation sparks adventure - pragmatism, and many more. The possibilities are only as wide as your own understanding - so take a step back, and reconsider what it means to have intellectual discoveries.