Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 11:28:16 am

Author Topic: Discovery Listening Tasks  (Read 3207 times)

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +21
Discovery Listening Tasks
« on: March 07, 2018, 02:57:15 pm »
Hi!! I know most schools have half yearlies around this period but for some reason my school doesn't do half-yearlies (kinda worried about this lol but anyways). Instead we just have a Discovery listening task for English which is worth 15% of internals. Other than doing the usual comprehension, knowing techniques and understanding discovery, are there any other ways of studying for this? Also, does anyone know potential songs they may use/that have been used (I know there are probably a million, but still lol : )).

Thank you!!  :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 03:01:53 pm by Razeen25 »
HSC 2018 || Biology (90) || Business Studies (94) || English Advanced (87) || Legal Studies (91) || General Mathematics 2 (95) ||
ATAR: 96.20

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
Re: Discovery Listening Tasks
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 04:06:58 pm »
+1
Hi!! I know most schools have half yearlies around this period but for some reason my school doesn't do half-yearlies (kinda worried about this lol but anyways). Instead we just have a Discovery listening task for English which is worth 15% of internals. Other than doing the usual comprehension, knowing techniques and understanding discovery, are there any other ways of studying for this? Also, does anyone know potential songs they may use/that have been used (I know there are probably a million, but still lol : )).

Thank you!!  :)
Have you been given the peice of audio that will be used?
My school did a listening task for short answer. We were given the audio piece (which was a TED talk) before hand to listen to as much as we like; but we didn't know the questions untl we got into the exam room
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 05:04:10 pm »
+2
Hey! Failing all else, ask your teacher to suggest something similar to what will be covered but not identical, to give to the class as a sample. Of course it's really hard to practice for listening tasks, but if you can, it's absolutely the best way to prep ;D

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 05:37:52 pm »
+1
Hey! Failing all else, ask your teacher to suggest something similar to what will be covered but not identical, to give to the class as a sample. Of course it's really hard to practice for listening tasks, but if you can, it's absolutely the best way to prep ;D
Building on this, use the similar piece of material as practice. Identify quotes and analysis, then use some past HSC questions using the analysis as practice. I'm sure your teacher would be happy to help!  :)
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 05:42:29 pm »
Have you been given the peice of audio that will be used?
My school did a listening task for short answer. We were given the audio piece (which was a TED talk) before hand to listen to as much as we like; but we didn't know the questions untl we got into the exam room

That seems really good that your school gave the audio piece beforehand! In my case, all we know is that it will be a song. Other than that, it could be any song that they play and we have to answer the questions regarding it.

Thank you!! Imma do this, especially since I’m extra stressed since it’s a formal assessment rip.
HSC 2018 || Biology (90) || Business Studies (94) || English Advanced (87) || Legal Studies (91) || General Mathematics 2 (95) ||

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 03:23:47 pm »
I had my listening task today and I misinterpreted a simile as a metaphor and I'm low-key depressed lmao it was worth 15% smhh.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 04:08:56 pm »
I had my listening task today and I misinterpreted a simile as a metaphor and I'm low-key depressed lmao it was worth 15% smhh.

That specific identification was worth 15% or the entire task?
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 05:00:49 pm »
That specific identification was worth 15% or the entire task?

The entire task for worth 15%, so I’m assuming I lost a few percentages from that.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 08:35:46 pm »
+1
The entire task for worth 15%, so I’m assuming I lost a few percentages from that.

A simile and metaphor are practically identical, I'd be surprised if you lose anything, let alone more than a percent ;D

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 09:59:32 pm »
A simile and metaphor are practically identical, I'd be surprised if you lose anything, let alone more than a percent ;D

Omg bless your soul