Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 06:46:50 am

Author Topic: 1984 - George Orwell Context Question : Presentation of Gender Roles  (Read 1034 times)

raymond.semaan

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
I need some backup, for one of my assignments one of the ideas they urge us to consider is the "Presentation of gender roles". I'm having a bit of trouble linking Orwell's portrayal of Women to his context and perspective, can anyone help me out? Also I'm primarily focusing on Women in this idea and I'm not sure if that's a bad thing, I just assumed that it was focused on Women so...

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
Re: 1984 - George Orwell Context Question : Presentation of Gender Roles
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 10:14:14 pm »
+1
I need some backup, for one of my assignments one of the ideas they urge us to consider is the "Presentation of gender roles". I'm having a bit of trouble linking Orwell's portrayal of Women to his context and perspective, can anyone help me out? Also I'm primarily focusing on Women in this idea and I'm not sure if that's a bad thing, I just assumed that it was focused on Women so...
Hey! Welcome to the forums!
So gender roles in 1984 is pretty much talking about Julia.
Both Julia and Winston rebel against the party; albiet for different reasons. While Winston seeks to bring an end to the party. Julia merely rebels for her own self intrest. She has no intrest in bringing about an end to the party; as long as she can rebel quietly in her subtle ways every so often and cheat the system slightly, then thats good enough for her.
This is reflective of Orwells context. For as much as he had a lot of political opinions and was against totalirtarianism etc etc, he still had somewhat traditional views on the role of women. He reflects this through Julia who is happy with her place in lfe and doesn't realy have any desire to change it.
In summary, the ways he portrays Julia throughout the book are reflective of his own personal views on the role of women
Hope this helps!  :)
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU