Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:37:31 pm

Author Topic: Help for First English Adv. Prelim Assignment?!?!  (Read 1299 times)  Share 

KingTings

• MOTM: JULY 19
  • Forum Regular
  • "I'll do it later.."
  • Respect: +15
Help for First English Adv. Prelim Assignment?!?!
« on: March 17, 2018, 11:15:06 pm »
Hello, forum  :D
So I got my first English assignment due next week. I've made a dent in it though I'm contemplating on how to approach it. My school is doing 'the gothic genre' for the Reading to Write module. The assignment consists of choosing both a visual & written gothic text in which we split into two sections:
 - "Analyse how at least ONE key societal issue/fear/anxiety is represented within your chosen gothic text" (300 words each)
 -"Using your TWO chosen texts, answer the following question through an evaluative analytical response 'Does the reading and writing of gothic texts hold value for society'"(500 words)
I'm having problems in how to structure the short-question and analytical response. I apologise for providing very vague information about the topic as even I'm struggling.
As this is the new syllabus I'm not sure if I can receive any feedback/support. Anything will help
Thanks in advance!
HSC 2019
Business Studies - Economics - Physics - English Adv. - Maths Adv.

ATAR:
Aim = 92+, Actual = 97.1 ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Help for First English Adv. Prelim Assignment?!?!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 09:28:11 am »
+1
Hello, forum  :D
So I got my first English assignment due next week. I've made a dent in it though I'm contemplating on how to approach it. My school is doing 'the gothic genre' for the Reading to Write module. The assignment consists of choosing both a visual & written gothic text in which we split into two sections:
 - "Analyse how at least ONE key societal issue/fear/anxiety is represented within your chosen gothic text" (300 words each)
 -"Using your TWO chosen texts, answer the following question through an evaluative analytical response 'Does the reading and writing of gothic texts hold value for society'"(500 words)
I'm having problems in how to structure the short-question and analytical response. I apologise for providing very vague information about the topic as even I'm struggling.
As this is the new syllabus I'm not sure if I can receive any feedback/support. Anything will help
Thanks in advance!

Hey there!

Firstly, for question one, you need to decide on the key societal issues and then I'd recommend about five techniques that show it. Then you can pick and choose what you'll use to build your response. You might only use three, but you might use more. I will also recommend that when you're writing short answers, doubling up on your techniques, or piggy backing them, can help improve the density of your response even when you have so few words to use. So, the metaphor is amplified by the alliteration to....

This way, you're talking about how the text cohesively works together.

Also, if I'm reading this correctly and you need to choose one text per response? So you need to choose that strategically to fill up the words.

We can always chat about specific structure too - but this is a good place to start. When you've got these down pat, structure comes next :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

KingTings

• MOTM: JULY 19
  • Forum Regular
  • "I'll do it later.."
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 11:20:17 am »
+1
Hey there!

Firstly, for question one, you need to decide on the key societal issues and then I'd recommend about five techniques that show it. Then you can pick and choose what you'll use to build your response. You might only use three, but you might use more. I will also recommend that when you're writing short answers, doubling up on your techniques, or piggy backing them, can help improve the density of your response even when you have so few words to use. So, the metaphor is amplified by the alliteration to....

This way, you're talking about how the text cohesively works together.

Also, if I'm reading this correctly and you need to choose one text per response? So you need to choose that strategically to fill up the words.

We can always chat about specific structure too - but this is a good place to start. When you've got these down pat, structure comes next :)
Thank you!! This actually helped so much. I appreciate it  :)
HSC 2019
Business Studies - Economics - Physics - English Adv. - Maths Adv.

ATAR:
Aim = 92+, Actual = 97.1 ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 01:38:50 pm »
Thank you!! This actually helped so much. I appreciate it  :)

Post back any time if you need more help :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!