Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:50:48 am

Author Topic: Making up related text  (Read 2087 times)  Share 

clovvy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +44
Making up related text
« on: March 26, 2018, 10:39:41 pm »
+1
I know this is an insult to most english students (especially those who loved the subject in general like Elyse I suppose)... But have anyone ever tried to make up the whole related text and come up with whatever name the author may be and make up the whole quote to back up evidence of the core text (put techniques in as well).... or in extreme cases use their own creative writing as the related text... Personally I do not want to do this but I do find myself getting tempted to do so, but I am simply not skilled enough to do so....

I know for a fact that MOST band 6 students will not do that, so I might want to hear opinions from different people in this regard.....

(I know forum like this exist and can help, however I notice my perfectionist attitude hinders my progress quite a lot... I don't want to get it checked until I am satisfied with it which is annoying...)
2018 HSC: 4U maths, 3U maths, Standard English, Chemistry, Physics

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
Re: Making up related text
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 10:49:55 pm »
+1
I know this is an insult to most english students (especially those who loved the subject in general like Elyse I suppose)... But have anyone ever tried to make up the whole related text and come up with whatever name the author may be and make up the whole quote to back up evidence of the core text (put techniques in as well).... or in extreme cases use their own creative writing as the related text... Personally I do not want to do this but I do find myself getting tempted to do so, but I am simply not skilled enough to do so....

I know for a fact that MOST band 6 students will not do that, so I might want to hear opinions from different people in this regard.....

(I know forum like this exist and can help, however I notice my perfectionist attitude hinders my progress quite a lot... I don't want to get it checked until I am satisfied with it which is annoying...)
In my book this would be a massive no. Defiantly
Im pretty sure that a marker would be able to spot something like that
And even if it was a legitamite thing, i doubt the analysis and links to the question would be very detailed. Also it woud take a long time to actually make stuff up like that in an exam situation
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 10:56:07 pm »
+2
Never, ever, ever make up a related text. Just... don't. You're better off making up some bs about a legitimate text that you know a little bit about than making up a random text lol just if you're going to go to the effort of trying to make something up, you may as well use that time to do some basic research and analysis on like, a short film or something you know?
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

clovvy

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 11:01:28 pm »
LOL of course I wouldn't do that, I know a couple of films or books that can be analysed properly, I mean I already have analysis on legit texts anyway so why would I make one up since that actually requires MORE brainpower than simply analysing legit texts.... I know some of my peers thought about doing this which is why I asked if this ever happened...

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 11:19:40 pm »
LOL of course I wouldn't do that, I know a couple of films or books that can be analysed properly, I mean I already have analysis on legit texts anyway so why would I make one up since that actually requires MORE brainpower than simply analysing legit texts.... I know some of my peers thought about doing this which is why I asked if this ever happened...

I know people who've tried and been caught out in Trials  - I'm sure the same thing happens at HSC level. Essentially, a Google search and you're gone, aha :P

I agree with FB3, if you've got mates considering it I'd be yelling at them for it - Even the most stressful situations can be solved by taking a Disney movie and memorising some quotes from it ;)

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 11:30:05 pm »
I actually happened to know someone who made up their related text. He basically made up this plot on how this genius is ostracised (or something like that) and this happened last year xD I tried convincing them to at least find a short story but he was the type of person to dismiss English as a dumb subject ("It's not like I'm gonna write essays in engineering.")

I have no clue what happened, but moral of the story: you could spend all your effort analysing a short text rather than putting in the effort to make up a plot.
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

clovvy

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 02:25:24 pm »
+2
As you can see here guys, I purposely posted this because I could not find it on google search and the fact that there are many people considering it is a bit concerning, therefore I ask for opinions of others in this regard...  Moral of the story: never make up your own related as it is a HUGE gamble unless you are a MASTER of bullshitting or a SUPER genius who can make extremely believable crap that don't exist, but with them I highly doubt they would ever need to do that for hsc english..

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 08:21:46 am »
+3
As you can see here guys, I purposely posted this because I could not find it on google search and the fact that there are many people considering it is a bit concerning, therefore I ask for opinions of others in this regard...  Moral of the story: never make up your own related as it is a HUGE gamble unless you are a MASTER of bullshitting or a SUPER genius who can make extremely believable crap that don't exist, but with them I highly doubt they would ever need to do that for hsc english..

I have no doubt some people just make up quotes for an actual text too, which is risky in its own way because that means your made-up quotes need to be of a standard of writing that an actual author would produce, and there's a risk in the way that the teacher might have read the text.

I understand the temptation to cut corners, but there are ways you can minimise the work you need to do on your related text that will be more fruitful than making one up. A solid investment of your time into the related text, rather than half-assed 'eh this is boring I wish there was a better way' approach will cut the study time you need in half and will guarantee you a path to greater success than making one up :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!