Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:32:59 pm

Author Topic: Is Feminism Overdone in Extension 2??  (Read 1916 times)  Share 

meditatingwalrus

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
Is Feminism Overdone in Extension 2??
« on: April 08, 2018, 10:45:59 am »
Hello all  :)

Im a few months into my ext 2 piece and Ive realized that the idea I have probably wasnt the best choice - the plot isnt really going anywhere, there is not a whole lot of critical info out there about it.. anyways ive decided to change my idea now rather than later, and am leaning toward doing a satirical feminist piece. i just wanted to know if feminism is something i should steer clear of bc ive been told that its a very common theme in ext 2? would really appreciate any advice anyone can share on this :) thanks heaps

mish

jenae.madden

• Trailblazer
Re: Is Feminism Overdone in Extension 2??
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 05:48:04 pm »
+2
yooooo, I'm doing ext 2 and im so shook because my situation is so similar to yours. I was originally crafting this weird historical fiction about the three waves with like a short story for each; it was bad and I hated it, but I only had 10 units so I couldn't drop. Anyway, so maybe at the start of March I was like nup I'm having a bad time and against like all advice I restarted. My current project is a SATIRICAL FEMINISM narrative, critiquing the hypocrisies of third wave feminism... is that where you were going with yours? If so what are the odddds.

But yeah, my school and teacher can sometimes be... lets say questionable, but she did warn of cliched representations of feminism because it's so prevalent in many ext 2 works. But, to be fair we don't have too much time and you must really like the idea to want to scrap you current work. I say go for it. :)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 05:53:58 pm »
+2
Hey there!

I agree with jenae.madden! I love my Ext 2 idea but my problem was that I had seen so many similar ones from previous years and most of them ended up in YWS which intimidated me  :'( However, I think that any idea is a good idea! If it's something that intrigues you, I say go for it. If you do your research, choose a perspective or approach that is unique to the topic, and work on it consistently, it'll definitely be worth pursuing over an idea you're not as sure with  ;D ;D Good luck for it!
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

meditatingwalrus

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 12:26:16 am »
yooooo, I'm doing ext 2 and im so shook because my situation is so similar to yours. I was originally crafting this weird historical fiction about the three waves with like a short story for each; it was bad and I hated it, but I only had 10 units so I couldn't drop. Anyway, so maybe at the start of March I was like nup I'm having a bad time and against like all advice I restarted. My current project is a SATIRICAL FEMINISM narrative, critiquing the hypocrisies of third wave feminism... is that where you were going with yours? If so what are the odddds.

But yeah, my school and teacher can sometimes be... lets say questionable, but she did warn of cliched representations of feminism because it's so prevalent in many ext 2 works. But, to be fair we don't have too much time and you must really like the idea to want to scrap you current work. I say go for it. :)

HAHAHA THATS CRAAZY -- WHAT ARE THE ODDS!!?
Im thinking of doing a satire of the lack of female representation in history. im going to personify the "lost female voice" as a literal prisoner in jail, who tells stories about women like rosalind franklin (she took a photo of dna but it was stolen by these other dudes who took credit for it) and maybeeee 4 other women whose voices have been muffled unfairly. sorta like creatively written case studies .

in terms of changing topics a few months in -- at least we have a clearer idea of what were doing now right? on the one hand i have sooo many ragrets spending soooo much time working on my idea during like the 6 week holidays and term 1, of course, as well as the fact that im just tossing most of my idea out the window (im keeping some excerpts here and there but like 80% G O N E) .buttttt on the other hand i feel a lot more hopeful and motivated to pursue this idea rather than the other because its so much clearer in terms of plot and my idea and purpose--plus feminism has a lot of hella good academia on a wide range of its subtopics which is handy as well. i wish i chose to go down this avenue a little earlier but hey, the past is the past and i can only look to the future now. its a lot clearer and hopefully i spend less time "creatively constipated" as i did before.

also -- third wave feminism seems like an awesome topic for ext 2. dont know a lot about it but i know thats relevant to todays 21st century society which is good stuff for reflection statements

wishing you lotsa luck with it my fellow feminist  ;D ;)

meditatingwalrus

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 12:29:35 am »
+1
Hey there!

I agree with jenae.madden! I love my Ext 2 idea but my problem was that I had seen so many similar ones from previous years and most of them ended up in YWS which intimidated me  :'( However, I think that any idea is a good idea! If it's something that intrigues you, I say go for it. If you do your research, choose a perspective or approach that is unique to the topic, and work on it consistently, it'll definitely be worth pursuing over an idea you're not as sure with  ;D ;D Good luck for it!

i think that if there were YW pieces similar to yours, then that could also be a really good thing - after all, those are the best of the best and if yours is similar to theirs, well then it must mean its a good idea!

and yesss im hoping that is the case, im more motivated now that the ideas a little clearer in my brain!

wishing you heaps of luck with ext 2 and the HSC ;) ;D :D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 09:28:40 am »
+1
Hello!

In some ways, my own E2 piece was satirical feminism. It wasn't that the entire way through, but it was at points. I scored an E4, so it can't have been too cliche :) If you want to see it, the story and the reflection statement are both in the "notes" section on the forums.

Sounds like you have all got a plan! yippee!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!