Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:38:55 pm

Author Topic: Structure  (Read 1101 times)  Share 

jenae.madden

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
Structure
« on: April 19, 2018, 09:08:06 am »
Hey all,

So I am crafting a short story for my Major. I was just going to have it as a linear, traditionally structure piece, with no flashbacks or anything like that. My question is... is this too simplistic, are the markers looking for a revitalisation of structure? I know I shouldn't base my works off of others but it seems every major work short story has some element of structure manipulation. Even if its not explicitly stated, am I expected to be more creative with it?
Oh also, maybe unrelated but how did everyone come up with a title? I dont have one yet and I am not entirely sure how to come up with a good, thought provoking one...

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Structure
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 11:27:59 pm »
Hey all,

So I am crafting a short story for my Major. I was just going to have it as a linear, traditionally structure piece, with no flashbacks or anything like that. My question is... is this too simplistic, are the markers looking for a revitalisation of structure? I know I shouldn't base my works off of others but it seems every major work short story has some element of structure manipulation. Even if its not explicitly stated, am I expected to be more creative with it?
Oh also, maybe unrelated but how did everyone come up with a title? I dont have one yet and I am not entirely sure how to come up with a good, thought provoking one...

Hey, jenae.madden!

I think that you can work with any type of plot and still ensure the top marks if you can execute it well, make sure it flows well and justify in your Reflection Statement why you chose a linear plot (maybe a text in Advanced or Extension 1 used it effectively and you were influenced by it)  :D :D

If you are set on not using flashbacks but might be open to doing some kind of structural manipulation, you could definitely consider flash forwards instead and then bring your story back to present. This is a more unconventional way of approaching storytelling and can be just as effective as using flashbacks. Just make sure with this that you consider what tense you want to write in to keep your story consistent.

Manipulation in your short story can also manifest with font manipulation (using bold or italic font) or varying sentence and paragraph lengths. There are endless ways you can be creative with how you present your story, as well as how your story is told. You can use the power of technology at your expense for that  8)

My poetry is on the experiences of classical musicians in contemporary society and I chose 'Vivace' as my title. I knew I wanted an Italian title for my major work and it was a matter of waiting for it to occur to me one afternoon as I was listening to some Schubert  ;D This word just stood out because it is not only a speed marking in music, but also means 'lively' which contrasts with the pessimism and darkness of the stuff I am writing  ;D ;D With titles, they will just find their way to you and if you really cannot think of one, ask your teacher for help coming up with one. You might even come up with one as you are writing your story too so it will come to you :D

Hope this helps and good luck with the drafting!

Angelina
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 01:09:58 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Structure
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 03:23:38 pm »
+1
Remember that you can incorporate non-traditional elements in ways that don't change plot sequence at all - like including diary entries, or putting some quotes on the right hand margin, or putting a word per line. Obviously all of these things should only be done if appropriate.

As long as you can justify your structure, there's no need to worry, I think! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!