Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:15:58 am

Author Topic: NEED HELP ASAP  (Read 836 times)

ayah darwich

• Adventurer
  • Respect: -1
NEED HELP ASAP
« on: July 20, 2018, 10:57:24 pm »
+1
hey guys  :-\ :-\ so i haven't written my essay for AOS discovery yet and I'm having a lot of trouble with my prescribed text, i never finished it because we got one of the most boring books ever (in my opinion) and I don't want to have to write an essay on it so I was wondering if I would be allowed to do another text apart from the one I was taught in school, like I don't know if thats acceptable but i'd rather do a poem something shorter, also another add on question from this do any of you know if i am allowed to do another text other than my one if I would be allowed to do one from standard, I'm guessing its a no but i figured i might as well ask because it is the same paper so I don't know if its actually not allowed, anyway if any of you guys know please get back to me as soon as possible. THANK YOU!

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
Re: NEED HELP ASAP
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 11:20:08 pm »
Hey!

I would say you are allowed to do another text, but here are a few reasons why you shouldn't do another text:
- You said you would rather do a poem, but in AOS or any other module you'll have to study ~6 poems (I assume each poem will have similar themes and might suit different questions) and do all the analysis yourself.
- Studying a new text is a lot of effort for a very short amount of time before trials! You may as well push through with the text you've already been prescribed at school. Maybe check out some of the English notes here to see if you can find some notes on your text!
- Your teachers will be your markers and you don't really know what they'll think when they get an essay with a totally different prescribed text to what they've taught. Adding to this, you probably won't get a lot of support from them content-wise if you change texts.
- You don't need to have a prepared essay before the exam!!

As for doing a "Standard" text, there's no set Standard/Advanced text in the AOS - I know schools who did the same text for both levels of English so no text is particularly easier than another one.

Pleaaaaaase don't change texts!! It's so much easier to continue with the one you already have, no matter how crap you think it is. You have less than half a year until you'll be done with this text anyway!

Best of luck :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
Re: NEED HELP ASAP
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 08:41:05 am »
hey guys  :-\ :-\ so i haven't written my essay for AOS discovery yet and I'm having a lot of trouble with my prescribed text, i never finished it because we got one of the most boring books ever (in my opinion) and I don't want to have to write an essay on it so I was wondering if I would be allowed to do another text apart from the one I was taught in school, like I don't know if thats acceptable but i'd rather do a poem something shorter, also another add on question from this do any of you know if i am allowed to do another text other than my one if I would be allowed to do one from standard, I'm guessing its a no but i figured i might as well ask because it is the same paper so I don't know if its actually not allowed, anyway if any of you guys know please get back to me as soon as possible. THANK YOU!

Just curious on what book you are doing for your prescribed?

I feel like I have the most boring book ever!
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW