Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 21, 2024, 12:59:22 am

Author Topic: related texts left to the last minute (yikes!)  (Read 1168 times)  Share 

abracadabra

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
related texts left to the last minute (yikes!)
« on: July 24, 2018, 05:53:28 pm »
hey guys!
so my trial exams start 6th of August (catholic schools timetable) and I've left my english related texts to the last minute (again).

I did have other related texts for my previous assessments and exams but I did terribly in them and I've only realised now that no, it wasn't that the exam was extremely difficult, I've just got a really really shitty related text.

my prescribed texts are Swallow the Air (discovery), Summer of the Seventeenth Doll (Mod A) and Billy Elliot (Mod C).

I'm hoping to find a related text that could work for all three (because I'm lazy af and don't really want to memorise quotes for three texts with just under two weeks to go) and I was thinking that the poem Barn Owl by Gwen Harwood might work.

Does anyone have any recommendations on texts, notes on Barn Owl or even just general advice on how not to be a total idiot when it comes to English? That would be greatly appreciated  ;D

aadharmg

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: related texts left to the last minute (yikes!)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 06:10:54 pm »
hey guys!
so my trial exams start 6th of August (catholic schools timetable) and I've left my english related texts to the last minute (again).

I did have other related texts for my previous assessments and exams but I did terribly in them and I've only realised now that no, it wasn't that the exam was extremely difficult, I've just got a really really shitty related text.

my prescribed texts are Swallow the Air (discovery), Summer of the Seventeenth Doll (Mod A) and Billy Elliot (Mod C).

I'm hoping to find a related text that could work for all three (because I'm lazy af and don't really want to memorise quotes for three texts with just under two weeks to go) and I was thinking that the poem Barn Owl by Gwen Harwood might work.

Does anyone have any recommendations on texts, notes on Barn Owl or even just general advice on how not to be a total idiot when it comes to English? That would be greatly appreciated  ;D
I'm saying this off the top of my head but A LOT of students use Barn Owl as a related text for some reason and my school's entire Standard cohort is using it. You might want to find a text that links almost perfectly in terms of characterisation and thematic ideas to your prescribed text. This close to trials, it probably doesn't matter if you use it because it seems that not a lot of people at your school will be using it, but in a whole HSC sense, that's my perspective.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: related texts left to the last minute (yikes!)
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 06:12:50 pm »
Welcome to the forums!! ;D

Here is a list of some additional suggestions for Discovery ;D