Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:35:19 am

Author Topic: "To what extent" Questions  (Read 6733 times)

supR

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
"To what extent" Questions
« on: July 25, 2018, 12:34:02 pm »
Hey Atar Notes,

Today for Paper 1 we had a "To what extent" discovery question. I didn't explicitly say to what extent, but I essentially argued that the discoveries in my texts had the qualities described in the question.

For tomorrow's Paper 2 exam, we've been informed that each question will essentially have a statement and then an "evaluate" or "to what extent" question.
What is the best way to address this type of question in my essay?

Thanks!!
HSC 2018 - 98.50 ATAR
Please check out my Youtube c: I upload every Tuesday and Friday c: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1c_bBjSE6oNNYgt4CK0DA

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
Re: "To what extent" Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 09:04:08 pm »
+2
Hey Atar Notes,

Today for Paper 1 we had a "To what extent" discovery question. I didn't explicitly say to what extent, but I essentially argued that the discoveries in my texts had the qualities described in the question.

For tomorrow's Paper 2 exam, we've been informed that each question will essentially have a statement and then an "evaluate" or "to what extent" question.

Thanks!!

Hey! Always clarify 'to what extent' you agree at the start and end of each paragraph in your essay. That's the best way to answer the question for mine and it's pretty clear too! Make sure you make it consistent though :) If you have more specific questions, let me know!
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
Re: "To what extent" Questions
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 09:10:48 pm »
+3
Hey Atar Notes,

Thanks!!
To add onto D.P's answer...
To what extent is a judgement; so your thesis should focus on that judgement. Is it a partial, moderate or significant extent?
Once you make that judgement, your arguments and analysis are centred around proving that your judgement (e.g a partial extent) is correct.
Remember that this judgement is never wrong, so long as you back it up! and vice versa, it's not the only correct one. Other people will make different judgements, argue that judgement and still be correct.
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU