Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:41:13 am

Author Topic: 2018 English Advanced (Area of Study) Practice Trial Paper!  (Read 11416 times)

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
2018 English Advanced (Area of Study) Practice Trial Paper!
« on: August 03, 2018, 03:35:11 pm »
+19
Introducing my practice English Paper 1 Trial Exam!

Click the link below to download - You must have registered for an account and be logged in!

I've put together this exam for you to use as a resource studying for your Trials! I know that there aren't heaps of practice papers out there to choose from and thought this may help you guys get even more practice in before your exam!

I encourage you guys to get feedback on responses to these exam questions!

- Get feedback on your short answer section (feel free to snap pictures of handwritten answers if you've done it under exam conditions) by posting below
- Get feedback on your essay/creative by posting in our marking section! :)

I'll try get to as many as I can but obviously (given that I'm juggling two jobs, two internships and uni at the moment) I will try my best to get to everyone, otherwise I encourage everyone to give each other feedback on how they would have answered the questions :)

I hope this resource will be useful in the lead up to Trials and your HSC!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 09:56:12 am by jamonwindeyer »
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

beeangkah

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
Re: 2018 English Advanced (Area of Study) Practice Trial Paper!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 12:55:36 pm »
+2
Hi, could I please get some feedback for these SA responses? :)
There wasn't a mark allocation for each question so I wasn't sure exactly how much to write.
Thanks!
(There may be some typos as I handwrote them originally but there were some complications uploading the pics so I retyped everything)

Spoiler
1.   The positioning of the figure being minute against an expansive, vast background portrays the endless possibilities of the world. The use of dark colour tones also creates ambiguity and allows audiences to speculate about uncertainties and thus evoke new ways of seeing the world.

2.   Repetition of the anaphora “some eyes” reinforces the widely varying perspectives and values between different individuals and hence suggests wonder and curiosity towards different values, such as “wild(ness)” and “tame(ness)”, can elicit discoveries about others and the world around them. Constant repetition of “always looking, searching for something more” also reinforces how eyes are “passageways to see the world” and through speculation and curiosity towards “what lies on the surface, under the surface, at the core” then discoveries of “great joy… or undoing” can be generated as a result.

3.   The didactic tone of the phrase, “we call upon governments” as well as its employment of inclusive language creates a sense of “unity and togetherness” and thus forces audiences to consider new perspectives on the intrinsic dignity and rights of women and children. Short syntax and truncated sentences in “no one can stop us” and “our words can change the world” are evidently stimulating and empowering for responders, instigating renewed perspectives and values on the power of the human voice in “bringing change”. The speaker also appeals to audiences through the use of negatively connoted imagery “poverty, injustice and ignorance”, thus highlighting the importance of embracing the different perspective that struggles against the face on inequity rather than being complacent.

4.   The rhetorical question of the persona towards herself, “(have I been walking in circles again?)” is expressed as an afterthought and reinforces how she has been confronted with her discovery of her disillusionment and lack of sense of direction. Negative accumulation of phrases, “useless”, “erratic”, “pointless” and “vacant wilderness” also demonstrates, through subverting the safety and direction offered by a “compass” and “words”, the persona has been confronted by the provocative discovery of her “journey to the interior” as being highly difficult and challenging – “not the easy going from point to point”. Tactile imagery in “I move surrounded by a tangle of branches” and the diction of “tangle” also depicts the confronting aspects of discovery by emphasising the inner turmoils and unclear pathways within herself.

5.   Texts three and four profoundly illustrates how texts can offer confronting ideas about the world around an individual yet also are rewarding for discoveries can offer new perspectives and meaningful understandings.

Text three portrays how, through confronting the injustices of society, one can also feel a sense of empowerment and understanding of that same injustice and thus is rewarding. The speaker’s repetitious use of “we call upon”, “we will” and “we must”, in conjunction with high modality language, encourages responders to face leaders, governments and even ordinary people to view the inequality existing in society and confront them to instigate change. The employment of a didactic tone and truncated sentences also is highly rewarding for audiences for the speaker generates a sense of “unity and togetherness” within communities and society, “no one can stop us. … our words can change the world.” The metaphor of “the weapon of knowledge” and “shield [of] unity” also presents confronting ideas of fighting against establishments in order achieve justice, but is ultimately rewarding.

Text four also presents the confronting nature of discovery, profoundly of oneself, but is rewarding, through the portrayal of understanding being enriched. The utilisation of negative adjectives, “useless…erratic…pointless” which subverts the comfort and direction offered usually by a “compass” and “words” evidently is highly confronting for traditional entities which empower are discovered to be diminished in power. However, the final stanza suggests a rewarding and cathartic response to such confronting revelation, “whatever I must do I must keep my head.” The first person, didactic and high modality language all server to reinforces the rewarding ad enriching outcome of being confronted with the difficulties of discerning self.

Clearly, both texts three and four present the notion that texts often offer challenging yet ultimately rewarding ways of understanding the world and oneself, by the offering of new perspectives.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 01:13:03 pm by beeangkah »

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 02:45:08 pm »
+7
Hi, could I please get some feedback for these SA responses? :)
There wasn't a mark allocation for each question so I wasn't sure exactly how much to write.
Thanks!
(There may be some typos as I handwrote them originally but there were some complications uploading the pics so I retyped everything)

Spoiler
1.   The positioning of the figure being minute against an expansive, vast background portrays the endless possibilities of the world. The use of dark colour tones also creates ambiguity and allows audiences to speculate about uncertainties and thus evoke new ways of seeing the world.

2.   Repetition of the anaphora “some eyes” reinforces the widely varying perspectives and values between different individuals and hence suggests wonder and curiosity towards different values, such as “wild(ness)” and “tame(ness)”, can elicit discoveries about others and the world around them. Constant repetition of “always looking, searching for something more” also reinforces how eyes are “passageways to see the world” and through speculation and curiosity towards “what lies on the surface, under the surface, at the core” then discoveries of “great joy… or undoing” can be generated as a result.

3.   The didactic tone of the phrase, “we call upon governments” as well as its employment of inclusive language creates a sense of “unity and togetherness” and thus forces audiences to consider new perspectives on the intrinsic dignity and rights of women and children. Short syntax and truncated sentences in “no one can stop us” and “our words can change the world” are evidently stimulating and empowering for responders, instigating renewed perspectives and values on the power of the human voice in “bringing change”. The speaker also appeals to audiences through the use of negatively connoted imagery “poverty, injustice and ignorance”, thus highlighting the importance of embracing the different perspective that struggles against the face on inequity rather than being complacent.

4.   The rhetorical question of the persona towards herself, “(have I been walking in circles again?)” is expressed as an afterthought and reinforces how she has been confronted with her discovery of her disillusionment and lack of sense of direction. Negative accumulation of phrases, “useless”, “erratic”, “pointless” and “vacant wilderness” also demonstrates, through subverting the safety and direction offered by a “compass” and “words”, the persona has been confronted by the provocative discovery of her “journey to the interior” as being highly difficult and challenging – “not the easy going from point to point”. Tactile imagery in “I move surrounded by a tangle of branches” and the diction of “tangle” also depicts the confronting aspects of discovery by emphasising the inner turmoils and unclear pathways within herself.

5.   Texts three and four profoundly illustrates how texts can offer confronting ideas about the world around an individual yet also are rewarding for discoveries can offer new perspectives and meaningful understandings.

Text three portrays how, through confronting the injustices of society, one can also feel a sense of empowerment and understanding of that same injustice and thus is rewarding. The speaker’s repetitious use of “we call upon”, “we will” and “we must”, in conjunction with high modality language, encourages responders to face leaders, governments and even ordinary people to view the inequality existing in society and confront them to instigate change. The employment of a didactic tone and truncated sentences also is highly rewarding for audiences for the speaker generates a sense of “unity and togetherness” within communities and society, “no one can stop us. … our words can change the world.” The metaphor of “the weapon of knowledge” and “shield [of] unity” also presents confronting ideas of fighting against establishments in order achieve justice, but is ultimately rewarding.

Text four also presents the confronting nature of discovery, profoundly of oneself, but is rewarding, through the portrayal of understanding being enriched. The utilisation of negative adjectives, “useless…erratic…pointless” which subverts the comfort and direction offered usually by a “compass” and “words” evidently is highly confronting for traditional entities which empower are discovered to be diminished in power. However, the final stanza suggests a rewarding and cathartic response to such confronting revelation, “whatever I must do I must keep my head.” The first person, didactic and high modality language all server to reinforces the rewarding ad enriching outcome of being confronted with the difficulties of discerning self.

Clearly, both texts three and four present the notion that texts often offer challenging yet ultimately rewarding ways of understanding the world and oneself, by the offering of new perspectives.

Sorry about the lack of marks!

For future reference for anyone who wishes to do the exam - Questions 1-2 are both worth 2, Questions 3-4 are both worth 3 and Question 5 (combining two of the texts) is worth 5.

As for your answers:

(For those who plan to do the exam, don't open the spoiler!)

Spoiler
1. I would give you two marks for this one as you bring up two relevant ideas and link them to techniques (scale and colour). Some things you could also mention is that the use of scale makes the audience consider the power of the natural environment and thus see the world in a new way, rather than believing humanity has absolute control over the world. An understanding of Romanticism would be good here but you did fine without it. Great job!

2. So I think your first link is a tad weak here. Some eyes referring to the diverse nature of discoveries is great but doesn't really link to curiosity or wonder. Your second argument is great, particularly the repetition of "always looking, searching..." as it directly links to ideas of curiosity and wonder! I think you are almost there with the first one but I'd have to give you 1/2 here! Something you could have mentioned for full marks here was the use of personification or the extended metaphor of the eye as a pathway to discoveries, motivated by curiosity and wonder - "eyes analysing words... passageways to see the world."

3. Perfect! My only criticism is to perhaps start your short answer questions that are worth more marks with a topic sentence/thesis but other than that your answers are very strong and backed up with great textual references! They are also not waffly and get straight to the point! 3/3.

4. How did you do this under such time pressure! Incredible work! Again, a topic sentence at the start explaining what the confronting discovery is would be great. Other than that in the middle you have a very long sentence which needs to be cut in two. But still I would give you 3 out of 3 as you list three techniques and evaluate them well!

5. A really good attempt at the final question! I think you can make your first sentence a bit shorter: Texts three and four profoundly illustrates how texts can offer confronting ideas about the world around an individual yet also are rewarding for discoveries can offer the new perspectives and meaningful understandings they offer.

That's what I'd change it to! As for your arguments. I think in both cases you need to make clearer how the discoveries are rewarding. So in the case of Text 3 - the rewarding discovery is the power the individual has despite being in a repressive world of the Taliban. In Text 4 you almost got there - it is about accepting that the mental journey may be challenging but it is important to accept this confronting reality as it leads to more clarity.

Your analysis of the use of inclusive language such as "we" is strong and relevant, as is the overall sense of unity you allude to.

In both texts, you could have hit the rewarding aspect a bit more.

For Text 3 - the repetition of ONE child, teacher, book etc. could have been mentioned as to show why the discovery was rewarding (they discover their own individual worth and power).

For Text 4 - it was more the analysis than the quote - the quote you picked was fine it was more looking at what I said above about how it afforded the persona clarity.

I also think the negative connotations of "poverty", "injustice" etc. in Text 3 would have been a more apt choice for the confronting aspect of the discovery.

Overall, another great attempt! 4/5

So, overall, I gave you 13/15 but it could have very easily been more! You have a brilliant eye for techniques and for writing in a concise manner. Great job :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

beeangkah

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 04:50:06 pm »
Sorry about the lack of marks!

For future reference for anyone who wishes to do the exam - Questions 1-2 are both worth 2, Questions 3-4 are both worth 3 and Question 5 (combining two of the texts) is worth 5.

As for your answers:

(For those who plan to do the exam, don't open the spoiler!)

Spoiler
1. I would give you two marks for this one as you bring up two relevant ideas and link them to techniques (scale and colour). Some things you could also mention is that the use of scale makes the audience consider the power of the natural environment and thus see the world in a new way, rather than believing humanity has absolute control over the world. An understanding of Romanticism would be good here but you did fine without it. Great job!

2. So I think your first link is a tad weak here. Some eyes referring to the diverse nature of discoveries is great but doesn't really link to curiosity or wonder. Your second argument is great, particularly the repetition of "always looking, searching..." as it directly links to ideas of curiosity and wonder! I think you are almost there with the first one but I'd have to give you 1/2 here! Something you could have mentioned for full marks here was the use of personification or the extended metaphor of the eye as a pathway to discoveries, motivated by curiosity and wonder - "eyes analysing words... passageways to see the world."

3. Perfect! My only criticism is to perhaps start your short answer questions that are worth more marks with a topic sentence/thesis but other than that your answers are very strong and backed up with great textual references! They are also not waffly and get straight to the point! 3/3.

4. How did you do this under such time pressure! Incredible work! Again, a topic sentence at the start explaining what the confronting discovery is would be great. Other than that in the middle you have a very long sentence which needs to be cut in two. But still I would give you 3 out of 3 as you list three techniques and evaluate them well!

5. A really good attempt at the final question! I think you can make your first sentence a bit shorter: Texts three and four profoundly illustrates how texts can offer confronting ideas about the world around an individual yet also are rewarding for discoveries can offer the new perspectives and meaningful understandings they offer.

That's what I'd change it to! As for your arguments. I think in both cases you need to make clearer how the discoveries are rewarding. So in the case of Text 3 - the rewarding discovery is the power the individual has despite being in a repressive world of the Taliban. In Text 4 you almost got there - it is about accepting that the mental journey may be challenging but it is important to accept this confronting reality as it leads to more clarity.

Your analysis of the use of inclusive language such as "we" is strong and relevant, as is the overall sense of unity you allude to.

In both texts, you could have hit the rewarding aspect a bit more.

For Text 3 - the repetition of ONE child, teacher, book etc. could have been mentioned as to show why the discovery was rewarding (they discover their own individual worth and power).

For Text 4 - it was more the analysis than the quote - the quote you picked was fine it was more looking at what I said above about how it afforded the persona clarity.

I also think the negative connotations of "poverty", "injustice" etc. in Text 3 would have been a more apt choice for the confronting aspect of the discovery.

Overall, another great attempt! 4/5

So, overall, I gave you 13/15 but it could have very easily been more! You have a brilliant eye for techniques and for writing in a concise manner. Great job :)

Thank you so much  ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 09:56:33 am »
Incredible resource DP, thank you! :)

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 04:08:38 pm »
Hi..

First of all, thanks so much for an amazing resource! AOS papers can sometimes be hard to come by, especially since discovery has only been around for a few years.

Would love some feedback for my responses. I did them timed, but had to type them up because the file was too big. :)

Spoiler
a) The salience of the fog is symbolic of the unknown. The persona views the fog as it rises, demonstrating that their discovery can lead to a new perception an way of seeing the landscape.

b) The metaphorical motif, "always looking, searching for something more" reflects an attitude of wonder and curiosity towards discovery. The personified eyes convey an eagerness to seek new discoveries as a product of their emotions.

c) The speech invites the audience to consider new perspectives towards womens' rights and education. The logos of the metaphor, "We cannot all succeed when half of us are held back" highlights a need for unity of perspectives and attitudes in relation to the inequalities. The inclusive language of the anaphora, "we call upon all governments" demonstrates how the speaker pursues a wide and mainstream audience for her intentions and perspectives towards justice.

d) The poem amplifies how discovery can be a confronting process. The grave tone of the enjambment, "many have been here, but only/ some have returned safely" highlights a sense of danger involved in the discoveries. It is confronting to consider the impact of a discovery can be mortality. Also, the symbolism of the imagery, "lucent/ white mushrooms, and a pairing knife" exposes how the persona is aware of their imminent danger, yet chooses to override their fear in order to discover.

e) Texts can expose the reader or audience to confronting, yet rewarding ways of understanding the world. Text 2 and Text 3 each skillfully display the value of confronting discoveries in prompting new understanding.

Text 2 conveys the confronting nature of discovery in relation to how individuals view the physical world. The juxtaposition, "eyes reveal a kingdom of colour and life from a realm of darkness" emphasises the positive ramifications of witnessing a confronting sight. The author skillfully incorporates connotations of fantasy, "kingdom" and "realm", to emotively describe how the discovery also provides joy to the individual. Furthermore, the onomatopoeia of eyes being "rubbed, scratched and flooded" metaphorically exposes the confronting sights our eyes are subject to, yet they never fail to "find something more". Thus, Text 2 skillfully conveys the value of confronting discoveries.

Text 3 also reflects confronting discoveries. The ethos of the isocolon, "to fight against terrorism and violence, to project children from brutality and harm" reveals the confronting nature of physical violence, and affirms why it should be prevented. The metaphorical oxymoron. "weapon of knowledge" highlights the necessity of words and intellectual action in bringing a positive end to violence. The speaker skilfully uses connotations of war, but in a redemptive context, to inspire a restoration in equality, as a positive outcome of the confronting discoveries. Thus, Text 3 effectively emphasises the value of confronting discoveries.
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 01:13:32 am »
+2
Hi..

First of all, thanks so much for an amazing resource! AOS papers can sometimes be hard to come by, especially since discovery has only been around for a few years.

Would love some feedback for my responses. I did them timed, but had to type them up because the file was too big. :)

Spoiler
a) The salience of the fog is symbolic of the unknown. The persona views the fog as it rises, demonstrating that their discovery can lead to a new perception an way of seeing the landscape.

b) The metaphorical motif, "always looking, searching for something more" reflects an attitude of wonder and curiosity towards discovery. The personified eyes convey an eagerness to seek new discoveries as a product of their emotions.

c) The speech invites the audience to consider new perspectives towards womens' rights and education. The logos of the metaphor, "We cannot all succeed when half of us are held back" highlights a need for unity of perspectives and attitudes in relation to the inequalities. The inclusive language of the anaphora, "we call upon all governments" demonstrates how the speaker pursues a wide and mainstream audience for her intentions and perspectives towards justice.

d) The poem amplifies how discovery can be a confronting process. The grave tone of the enjambment, "many have been here, but only/ some have returned safely" highlights a sense of danger involved in the discoveries. It is confronting to consider the impact of a discovery can be mortality. Also, the symbolism of the imagery, "lucent/ white mushrooms, and a pairing knife" exposes how the persona is aware of their imminent danger, yet chooses to override their fear in order to discover.

e) Texts can expose the reader or audience to confronting, yet rewarding ways of understanding the world. Text 2 and Text 3 each skillfully display the value of confronting discoveries in prompting new understanding.

Text 2 conveys the confronting nature of discovery in relation to how individuals view the physical world. The juxtaposition, "eyes reveal a kingdom of colour and life from a realm of darkness" emphasises the positive ramifications of witnessing a confronting sight. The author skillfully incorporates connotations of fantasy, "kingdom" and "realm", to emotively describe how the discovery also provides joy to the individual. Furthermore, the onomatopoeia of eyes being "rubbed, scratched and flooded" metaphorically exposes the confronting sights our eyes are subject to, yet they never fail to "find something more". Thus, Text 2 skillfully conveys the value of confronting discoveries.

Text 3 also reflects confronting discoveries. The ethos of the isocolon, "to fight against terrorism and violence, to project children from brutality and harm" reveals the confronting nature of physical violence, and affirms why it should be prevented. The metaphorical oxymoron. "weapon of knowledge" highlights the necessity of words and intellectual action in bringing a positive end to violence. The speaker skilfully uses connotations of war, but in a redemptive context, to inspire a restoration in equality, as a positive outcome of the confronting discoveries. Thus, Text 3 effectively emphasises the value of confronting discoveries.

Hey - no problems at all!

For your first response - an interesting idea but you need to take it a bit further. The discovery of the unknown/sublime qualities of nature is great but the first and second sentence don't link together well enough. Mentioning the persona's small scale in relation to the fog would have been a good way to show how he feels confronted by the discovery of the unknown or otherwise in the second sentence you just need to make more clear what the new perception is.

For the second question - your first sentence is clear and succinct. The second sentence, however, while still strong, needs to go a bit further again. You say that it is a product of their emotions - how/why did you come to this conclusion. That's all though :)

For the third question - again you are very good at succinctly arguing. The second technique is spot on - not sure about the first one being a metaphor though but your explanation is strong.

For the fourth question - yet again, very impressed with how you can write in such a direct manner but still get everything you need for lots of marks. Not much to comment on here as your choice of quotes and explanations was done well.

You are absolutely fine for the HSC - your last question is well argued, great use of evidence and clear structure. Best of luck but you are more than prepared by what you wrote :)

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 08:53:56 am »
Hey - no problems at all!

For your first response - an interesting idea but you need to take it a bit further. The discovery of the unknown/sublime qualities of nature is great but the first and second sentence don't link together well enough. Mentioning the persona's small scale in relation to the fog would have been a good way to show how he feels confronted by the discovery of the unknown or otherwise in the second sentence you just need to make more clear what the new perception is.

For the second question - your first sentence is clear and succinct. The second sentence, however, while still strong, needs to go a bit further again. You say that it is a product of their emotions - how/why did you come to this conclusion. That's all though :)

For the third question - again you are very good at succinctly arguing. The second technique is spot on - not sure about the first one being a metaphor though but your explanation is strong.

For the fourth question - yet again, very impressed with how you can write in such a direct manner but still get everything you need for lots of marks. Not much to comment on here as your choice of quotes and explanations was done well.

You are absolutely fine for the HSC - your last question is well argued, great use of evidence and clear structure. Best of luck but you are more than prepared by what you wrote :)

Thanks so much for your thorough feedback!
I had a feeling that I needed to write a bit more for the 2 markers, so will definitely work on that in future practices.
It is always good to have a second opinion on my writing, and I am glad you are confident that I am on the right track for the exam. :)
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD