Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:28:30 am

Author Topic: 'To What Extent' questions  (Read 1602 times)

cantthinkofausername

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
'To What Extent' questions
« on: October 16, 2018, 10:23:38 am »
I have no idea how to answer 'To what extent' questions. Say if the question is 'Discoveries can be emerged from careful and deliberate planning. To what extent do you agree with this statement from your study?' I asked my teacher about it briefly and i was told to just agree with whatever the statement is, but my self selected doesn't work with this at all and i would have nothing to back it up.

Thanks!!!

headsup

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +53
Re: 'To What Extent' questions
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 10:42:11 am »
+2
Heyy!!

I am standard english and not great at it but as it is AOS i will share my two cents worth....

Firstly, I recommend checking out Mada438 article on playing devils advocate. hopefully this will help.

Secondly... To what extent is your personal response to the question.
To add onto D.P's answer...
To what extent is a judgement; so your thesis should focus on that judgement. Is it a partial, moderate or significant extent?
Once you make that judgement, your arguments and analysis are centred around proving that your judgement (e.g a partial extent) is correct.
Remember that this judgement is never wrong, so long as you back it up! and vice versa, it's not the only correct one. Other people will make different judgements, argue that judgement and still be correct.

Thirdly.... your related text doesn't have to support your prescribed text it just has to linked to the syllabus...

Not sure if this helps or if it is correct..... for a question like that a simple thesis could be:
Whilst discoveries can be as a result of careful and deliberate planning, typically discoveries are evoked by curiosity and wonder (sorry, very on the spot)... remember to always back-up your thesis whatever it is....

all the very best....
So close to the end!!!!
MY SCHEDULE
18th - English P1
19th - English P2
25th - Mathematics
29th - Modern History
30th - Mathematics extension one
2nd - Business Studies
7th - Economics
9th - D&T
10th - DONE!!!
14th - Turn 18!!
15th - green P's!

Fergus6748

• Trendsetter
  • Never let your memories be greater than your dream
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 11:06:05 am »
+1
Heya, headsup is totally right don't feel the need to agree with the question. If you feel more comfortable playing the devil's advocate and going against the question, then by all means go for it!! The vast majority of people go with the question and not agianst it, so your essay would stand out with the markers. In saying that, don't completely disagree with the question. The way its been described to me is like a scale (0-10) 0 being completely disagree and 10 being completely agree. I was told it was best to either 3 or 7 on the scale. If you are on the extremes then you kinda get locked in with what you can do. whereas a 3 or 7 gives a bit of movement but still allows you to go against the question if you wish. Hope this helps!!
Hsc: Advanced English || Maths Extension 1 || Mathematics || Economics || Chemistry || Physics

headsup

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +53
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 11:09:22 am »
Heya, headsup is totally right don't feel the need to agree with the question. If you feel more comfortable playing the devil's advocate and going against the question, then by all means go for it!! The vast majority of people go with the question and not agianst it, so your essay would stand out with the markers. In saying that, don't completely disagree with the question. The way its been described to me is like a scale (0-10) 0 being completely disagree and 10 being completely agree. I was told it was best to either 3 or 7 on the scale. If you are on the extremes then you kinda get locked in with what you can do. whereas a 3 or 7 gives a bit of movement but still allows you to go against the question if you wish. Hope this helps!!
true as!!
just remember not too just write your own question because then 1. it doesnt answer the question and 2. it will look like it is just a prepared essay... you just need a fine line  ;)
So close to the end!!!!
MY SCHEDULE
18th - English P1
19th - English P2
25th - Mathematics
29th - Modern History
30th - Mathematics extension one
2nd - Business Studies
7th - Economics
9th - D&T
10th - DONE!!!
14th - Turn 18!!