Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:57:17 am

Author Topic: Choosing a title for creative  (Read 2012 times)  Share 

envisagator

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +20
Choosing a title for creative
« on: October 17, 2018, 12:00:45 pm »
Hi Guys, my teacher said we needed to include a title with our creative responses. I've been struggling to come up with a title.

A short synopsis of my creative: A Major in the US Army has an interview with a journalist. After the interview, the major gives her his coat as it was night and cold. She finds a letter in his pocket. Reads it and finds some past information. Next day, she inquires about it.... ends up falling in love.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank You!!
2018 HSC: English Standard          Mathematics EXT 1,2          Physics          Engineering Studies

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Choosing a title for creative
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 12:34:20 pm »
+3
Hey, envisagator!  :D

I was thinking of military jargon for the title but have it somehow fit with your story. I have a few suggestions  :)

First Light – The time of nautical twilight when the sun is 12 degrees below the horizon.
You could have a description of that towards right at the beginning or the end of the story to either create a platform for discovery or reveal the impact it has made. It has something romantic to it too  ;D

Moonbeam – Marine term for flashlight.
If light is a recurring theme or motif, this could be a nice one  ;D I like one worded titles the best so this could work.

Voice in the Sky
– Term referring military base announcements broadcast over speakers.
This could link to the journalism aspect of your story and you could even change it to "Voices" so it refers to your two characters.

I hope one of these works well  ;D Let me know what you end up deciding to choose. Good luck for your exams  ;D

Angelina  :)
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

envisagator

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 12:52:17 pm »
Hey, envisagator!  :D

I was thinking of military jargon for the title but have it somehow fit with your story. I have a few suggestions  :)

First Light – The time of nautical twilight when the sun is 12 degrees below the horizon.
You could have a description of that towards right at the beginning or the end of the story to either create a platform for discovery or reveal the impact it has made. It has something romantic to it too  ;D

Moonbeam – Marine term for flashlight.
If light is a recurring theme or motif, this could be a nice one  ;D I like one worded titles the best so this could work.

Voice in the Sky
– Term referring military base announcements broadcast over speakers.
This could link to the journalism aspect of your story and you could even change it to "Voices" so it refers to your two characters.

I hope one of these works well  ;D Let me know what you end up deciding to choose. Good luck for your exams  ;D

Angelina  :)
Hi Angelina, these are some great titles. I feel like the 'Moonbeam' fits my story more, but I think I have to do a bit of tweeking. My story revolves around lake where they meet up for the interview. After the interview, sun sets, she finds the letter. Following day, she goes to the Army base, and then the journalist and the major walk towards the lake where they eventually fall in love (things happens after the sun sets). So I was wondering if there is any good motifs or something for this. Or does 'Moonbeam' work well with this??.

I'm greatly appreciative for your help. Thank You!!!
2018 HSC: English Standard          Mathematics EXT 1,2          Physics          Engineering Studies

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 01:08:59 pm »
+1
Hi Angelina, these are some great titles. I feel like the 'Moonbeam' fits my story more, but I think I have to do a bit of tweeking. My story revolves around lake where they meet up for the interview. After the interview, sun sets, she finds the letter. Following day, she goes to the Army base, and then the journalist and the major walk towards the lake where they eventually fall in love (things happens after the sun sets). So I was wondering if there is any good motifs or something for this. Or does 'Moonbeam' work well with this??.

I'm greatly appreciative for your help. Thank You!!!

I would love to have a read of this story after all the exams are done. Sounds like everything I would be interested in reading  ;D Love my history and English with anything romance infused in it.

I think Moonbeam or First Lightwould work really well with this with the sun setting as a central part of your setting. You could introduce some other light motifs such as candle-lit lanterns, light bulbs from street lamps, fairy lights around trees near the lakes, even fireflies as a simile or metaphor for how they become enchanted for each other. For some reason, I also thought of a flashing torch being what the journalist's eyes reminds him of, flickering like a Morse code signal or something along those lines. Those are some motifs or ideas you could utilise to your advantage and to develop the significance of light in your characters' romance. If you choose to use Moonbeam, you could end the story with the moon overlooking the couple to show how time has passed and to link it back to your story  ;D

I hope this is helpful  :) Either could work well but Moonbeam seems to stick out so go with your instinct  8)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 01:22:41 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

dcesaona

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 02:11:49 pm »
+1
Love the titles suggested above! But I didn't know we had to write a title! I already have one that I made up for fun when I first wrote it, but not sure if I should put it above my creative. It's not 100% necessary is it??
2018 HSC

envisagator

• Forum Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 02:22:47 pm »
+1
Love the titles suggested above! But I didn't know we had to write a title! I already have one that I made up for fun when I first wrote it, but not sure if I should put it above my creative. It's not 100% necessary is it??
I dont know if it is 100% necessary but my english teacher has been a hsc marker for around 17 years and she said we must have a title. So I guess, it is of importance coming from her.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 02:51:23 pm »
+1

The necessity of having a title isn't something that is clarified well enough I think but I can provide a reason as to why you should include one. As someone who really enjoys writing poetry and short stories for fun, giving something a title is essentially like naming a child. It becomes yours. There's an element of personalising your story and choosing something that encompasses the entirety of the story can have a greater impact on the story as a whole. For the HSC, we are already reduced to numbers for our student identification so at least for the creative, you can give something that indicates who you are and what your story's discovery means before it even being read :) I would suggest putting your title because it's safer to have it than not to include it at all  ;D

If you are not confident with it, you could share a synopsis in this thread with your proposed title and we can give you second opinions or alternate suggestions if you wish  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

dcesaona

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 05:15:03 pm »
+1
I never thought of it like that! I love that!

My creative is basically centred around a daughter and her mother and their faltering relationship. The mother is a ballet dancer and her daughter has always looked up to her. She goes into ballet when she's a kid and loves it. But as she grows older she begins to loose interest. It begins to have negative effects on her physically and mentally. Her mother grows resentful of her as a result. One night however, she goes to her mother and finds her crying. She tells her daughter she's sorry for putting her through the pain, she did it so she could keep herself from losing interest in the only thing that holds something for her (ballet). The daughter discovers that her mother was tied to the dance just like she was, and sees her mother in a whole new light as a result.

Sorry for the long description (it sounds to bad when I write it out in simple terms  :( ) but I was thinking of calling it 'The Art of Affliction' !
Basically because ballet is an art form, and for the daughter and the mother, it's more of a struggle than it is a creative outlet.

What do you think?

2018 HSC

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 05:30:45 pm »
+1
I never thought of it like that! I love that!

My creative is basically centred around a daughter and her mother and their faltering relationship. The mother is a ballet dancer and her daughter has always looked up to her. She goes into ballet when she's a kid and loves it. But as she grows older she begins to loose interest. It begins to have negative effects on her physically and mentally. Her mother grows resentful of her as a result. One night however, she goes to her mother and finds her crying. She tells her daughter she's sorry for putting her through the pain, she did it so she could keep herself from losing interest in the only thing that holds something for her (ballet). The daughter discovers that her mother was tied to the dance just like she was, and sees her mother in a whole new light as a result.

Sorry for the long description (it sounds to bad when I write it out in simple terms  :( ) but I was thinking of calling it 'The Art of Affliction' !
Basically because ballet is an art form, and for the daughter and the mother, it's more of a struggle than it is a creative outlet.

What do you think?

I love it  ;D ;D It sounds like a really well-thought out story and adaptable too. I hope there's lots of ballet terminology in the story  ;) I find it really immersive reading with different languages in the content. The title is gorgeous and will work perfectly with the premise of your discovery aspects too. I say go for it  :) Good luck for the exams and may the questions be in all your favours!  8)

-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

dcesaona

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 07:10:45 pm »
+1
I love it  ;D ;D It sounds like a really well-thought out story and adaptable too. I hope there's lots of ballet terminology in the story  ;) I find it really immersive reading with different languages in the content. The title is gorgeous and will work perfectly with the premise of your discovery aspects too. I say go for it  :) Good luck for the exams and may the questions be in all your favours!  8)

Thank you!! Best of luck to you as well !!!  ;D
2018 HSC