Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:37:10 am

Author Topic: HSC English Question Thread  (Read 30443 times)

lauren.king20

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: HSC English Question Thread
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2020, 12:36:32 pm »
How do you know what quotes to use? What do you do if the quotes don't match the question or aren't specific enough?

Chocolatepistachio

• Science Games: Silver
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2020, 12:41:29 pm »
+1
You should prepare quotes with techniques based on the themes presented in the text.
You should practice adapting paragraphs you have written to different questions under exam conditions

alice343

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +125
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2020, 05:04:39 pm »
Hey everyone, I just wanted to ask what the differences are between English Standard and English Advanced for the Common Module. I've had a look at a couple Standard papers and they don't seem too different; could I use those as practice as well? (I do Advanced).
2020 HSC: English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Society and Culture, History Extension

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2020, 09:39:33 pm »
+1
Hey everyone, I just wanted to ask what the differences are between English Standard and English Advanced for the Common Module. I've had a look at a couple Standard papers and they don't seem too different; could I use those as practice as well? (I do Advanced).

Hey, alice343!

Both streams of English do the same content for the Common Module (the prescribed texts list is even shared across them, rather than there being two separate ones). The only difference is that the questions are regulated for differentiation purposes between the students' abilities to better gauge performance and facilitate scaling. In short, you could definitely use Paper 1 for additional Common Module practice and vice versa; those in Standard can also use Advanced's Paper 1's  :) The more exposure you have to possible questions, the better 8) Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

alice343

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +125
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2020, 08:46:27 am »
+1
Hey, alice343!

Both streams of English do the same content for the Common Module (the prescribed texts list is even shared across them, rather than there being two separate ones). The only difference is that the questions are regulated for differentiation purposes between the students' abilities to better gauge performance and facilitate scaling. In short, you could definitely use Paper 1 for additional Common Module practice and vice versa; those in Standard can also use Advanced's Paper 1's  :) The more exposure you have to possible questions, the better 8) Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D

Thank you!!
2020 HSC: English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Society and Culture, History Extension

sroe

• Adventurer
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2020, 01:14:09 pm »
Hi Everyone,
So I was just wondering how many quotes we are meant to include for a 6 mark question that focuses on just one text? (I know how a 6 marker comparative we do a mini-essay structure, but I wasn't sure if this also applied for just one text...) Thanks!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2020, 05:39:19 pm »
+7
Hi Everyone,
So I was just wondering how many quotes we are meant to include for a 6 mark question that focuses on just one text? (I know how a 6 marker comparative we do a mini-essay structure, but I wasn't sure if this also applied for just one text...) Thanks!

Hey, sroe!

Great question  :D I basically recommend a mini-essay structure for questions with 6 marks and above regardless of whether it is for one text or two. With two texts, you would have a body per text but with a single text, you could explore two contrasting ideas/representations/perspectives presented. For example, if you get a question asking you to discuss the individual and collective human experiences explored in Text 4, you might look at individual experiences for the first body paragraph and collective experiences for the second. I recommend having two quotes per body paragraph (4 in total) for a 6 marker which is sufficient for the marks and gives you room to compare the contrasting ideas represented and synthesise them in relation to your understanding of the module. Hope that makes sense!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

sroe

• Adventurer
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2020, 07:44:20 pm »
Hey, sroe!

Great question  :D I basically recommend a mini-essay structure for questions with 6 marks and above regardless of whether it is for one text or two. With two texts, you would have a body per text but with a single text, you could explore two contrasting ideas/representations/perspectives presented. For example, if you get a question asking you to discuss the individual and collective human experiences explored in Text 4, you might look at individual experiences for the first body paragraph and collective experiences for the second. I recommend having two quotes per body paragraph (4 in total) for a 6 marker which is sufficient for the marks and gives you room to compare the contrasting ideas represented and synthesise them in relation to your understanding of the module. Hope that makes sense!

Angelina  ;D

Awesome, thank you so much!

donuts296

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2020, 07:44:22 pm »
Hello.

I'm new here so I dont really know how things work around here, but I was hoping that someone could help me out with English stuff.

So for the common mod, we are doing The Crucible at school and for my related text, I chose to do Lamb to the Slaughter. I sort of understand how the two texts relate, but I need an in-depth explanation of how to connect them. I'm so confused. Can someone please help me out?

Thank you!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2020, 01:21:06 pm »
+1
Hello.

I'm new here so I dont really know how things work around here, but I was hoping that someone could help me out with English stuff.

So for the common mod, we are doing The Crucible at school and for my related text, I chose to do Lamb to the Slaughter. I sort of understand how the two texts relate, but I need an in-depth explanation of how to connect them. I'm so confused. Can someone please help me out?

Thank you!

Hey, donuts296!

Welcome to the forums! I've responded to your PM regarding your questions about the related texts  :D As for navigating the forums, here is a great guide that can help you out. Feel free to ask me any follow up questions if you have any though  :)

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

• Adventurer
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2020, 04:00:40 pm »
Hey...

Very basic question...but how many paragraphs should be in an English essay? I have always done: Intro, Body 1, Body 2 and Conclusion...but some people have four body paragraphs?

Just wanting some advice...I do standard English
"Nobody minds having what is too good for them." Jane Austen.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2020, 06:40:52 pm »
+1
Hey...

Very basic question...but how many paragraphs should be in an English essay? I have always done: Intro, Body 1, Body 2 and Conclusion...but some people have four body paragraphs?

Just wanting some advice...I do standard English

Hey, 0447940204!

It depends on what your school advises and how many texts you're covering in the essay. If it's just one like a film or a novel, three paragraphs with three different themes would be ideal. However, if you have more than one text (so doing poetry or short stories), you could either do four smaller body paragraphs with two different themes (two texts to work with) or do three body paragraphs with three different themes (three different texts to work with). Essays with two large bodies can also definitely still work out well! You might want to ask your school what they recommend and see as successful but my general recommendation is to have three paragraphs  :D Hope that helps and feel free to follow up with any other questions if you need!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

• Adventurer
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2020, 09:08:30 am »
Hey, 0447940204!

It depends on what your school advises and how many texts you're covering in the essay. If it's just one like a film or a novel, three paragraphs with three different themes would be ideal. However, if you have more than one text (so doing poetry or short stories), you could either do four smaller body paragraphs with two different themes (two texts to work with) or do three body paragraphs with three different themes (three different texts to work with). Essays with two large bodies can also definitely still work out well! You might want to ask your school what they recommend and see as successful but my general recommendation is to have three paragraphs  :D Hope that helps and feel free to follow up with any other questions if you need!

Angelina  ;D

Thanks for that. I was wondering, if I did four paragraphs with the following structure, with Text 1 being our prescribed text and Text 2 being my related one, then how many techniques should I put in each paragraph?

Paragraph 1 - Concept 1 (Division): Text 1

Paragraph 2 – Concept 1(Division): Text 2

Paragraph 3 – Concept 2 (Unity): Text 1

Paragraph 4 – Concept 2 (Unity): Text 2

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2020, 03:02:46 pm »
+1

Thanks for that. I was wondering, if I did four paragraphs with the following structure, with Text 1 being our prescribed text and Text 2 being my related one, then how many techniques should I put in each paragraph?

Paragraph 1 - Concept 1 (Division): Text 1

Paragraph 2 – Concept 1(Division): Text 2

Paragraph 3 – Concept 2 (Unity): Text 1

Paragraph 4 – Concept 2 (Unity): Text 2

Hey, again!

It depends on how much you can write in the time (or how many words your limit is if it's a hand-in task). I usually recommend anywhere from 3-5 quotes per paragraph. I think 3 is the bare minimum for a paragraph and 5 is the maximum you should have if you want to have adequate time to analyse everything in detail. 4 quotes is a nice in between  :D As long as you're consistent with how many you have in each one, that's what matters (so don't have 3 quotes in one body and then 6 in another)!

Also love how you've chosen two themes that are contrasting but related at the same time! It'll give you essay a greater sense of flow and progression. Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

• Adventurer
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2020, 08:12:11 pm »
Hello!

I have seen advice on here where someone said you write something English related every fortnight (like a creative, analysis, introduction, essay plan etc.) and I LOVE the idea of that!

But I am lost at where to begin. I do not yet know my prescribed text through and through, but I think I do well enough to perhaps write an essay. Do I write one even if it is going to be awful at first?

Also, I am seeking any advice you have for beginning to plan ideas for creatives and how to begin them.

Thanks!