Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:59:28 am

Author Topic: HSC English Question Thread  (Read 30445 times)

rirerire

• MOTM: OCT 20
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +13
Re: HSC English Question Thread
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2020, 09:09:56 pm »
+1
Hello!

I have seen advice on here where someone said you write something English related every fortnight (like a creative, analysis, introduction, essay plan etc.) and I LOVE the idea of that!

But I am lost at where to begin. I do not yet know my prescribed text through and through, but I think I do well enough to perhaps write an essay. Do I write one even if it is going to be awful at first?

Also, I am seeking any advice you have for beginning to plan ideas for creatives and how to begin them.

Thanks!
hey!
I did this for english ext 1 at the start of the year, as I didn't know my texts well, I looked up the plot summary just to gauge what I was grappling with. then I looked online for some quotes and themes and just summarised this on a google doc w my own words/explanations.

after that, I gave myself an essay question (my advice is to just go through your syllabus, and pick out some key words for example for the common module you could make up a question like "Evaluate the importance of inconsistencies within values in the human experience"

then I just gave myself 40 mins to write an essay w my texts, with the themes and quotes I'd memorised. If I couldn't remember them I allowed myself to look back at the google doc. don't worry if it's awful - I have so many practice essays that are only half finished but they ended up being extremely valuable and saved me time when I was studying for the HSC. I also highly highly recommend that you look through some of the powerpoints on atar notes if you need more info on how to write an essay, as it's a tad different for HSC- you need to integrate key ideas from the module statements and talk about audience, purpose and context.

for creatives, personally I really struggled with them until literally a few weeks before HSC. the best advice I can give you is write what you know, especially if you aren't as confident with your skills.
what I did was thought about place specifically, for example I wrote a few stories relating to India/Indian culture/religion, and others situated in the USA- these were topics I knew a lot about culturally and also through my studies in modern history. I thought about what issues were prevalent in that time, what issues my character might be having and who they would be interacting with.
make sure to use lots of language techniques (especially visceral sensory imagery!) and experiment with form (for example diptych structure)- that's mainly what you're being assessed on: they want to see if you can actually implement the techniques you've read in your module C texts.

for discursives write as if you're having a conversation with your friend- throw in personal anecdotes (if you don't have any just make them up  ;D ), analogies, a few stats or quotes and rhetorical questions. you can even make it a hybrid e.g. start it as an imaginative story which you discuss from there like an extended metaphor. discursives in particular are quite casual, you aren't informing- you're just sharing a new idea with the audience.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 09:14:03 pm by rirerire »

vasinaath.sothiswaran

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2020, 08:01:39 pm »
Hi, I just needed some help for analysing my related texts.
We have been given to do Billy Elliot as our prescribed text and
I am thinking about choosing Please resist me by luka lesson.
Only problem is I can't really tell how they can link with each other like what themes are present in both of them

rirerire

• MOTM: OCT 20
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2020, 07:05:13 pm »
+4
Hi, I just needed some help for analysing my related texts.
We have been given to do Billy Elliot as our prescribed text and
I am thinking about choosing Please resist me by luka lesson.
Only problem is I can't really tell how they can link with each other like what themes are present in both of them
Note: I haven't studied either of those texts
However, just looking at some summary notes online, I'm seeing some commonalities: adversity, social limitations, personal freedom and transcendence (ie going beyond expectations). Also some of the module statements jump out for example both works look at anomalies, paradoxes and inconsistencies in (collective and individual) human experience.

watermelonlol

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2021, 10:31:07 pm »
Hi, I'm a year 12 student sitting the HSC this year and had a question. Is it recommended for us to have a critic for our common module essay? Or is it best not to?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2021, 07:58:19 pm »
+2
Hi, I'm a year 12 student sitting the HSC this year and had a question. Is it recommended for us to have a critic for our common module essay? Or is it best not to?

Hey watermelonlol!

Welcome to the forums! You don't need to have critics for any of your essays because I think it's better to use that time to write more analysis with examples derived from the text itself! The only module I would recommend having critics for is Module B because it is a critical study but even then, I would suggest you keep it to only one critic quote per paragraph so you can still fit all of your textual evidence first and foremost  :D Hope that's helpful and all the best for the paper tomorrow!

Toodles,

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

edwardk

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2021, 01:17:10 pm »
Hi can someone give me insight on what i need to do, ty

Examine (orally and visually) how your prescribed text Past the Shallows and one related text explores AT LEAST THREE aspects of the Common Module Texts and Human Experiences. In your presentation you will visually represent your ideas through a selection of appropriate images, symbols and/or quotes.

vassp45

• Adventurer
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2021, 10:28:11 pm »
HI, so im not to sure if anyone is bothered or allowed to do this, but I was wondering if someone would be able to read my English advance speech of texts and human experiences I did it on TMOV and a poem by Sylvia Plath and its due in 24 hours and it flows terribly and has the language of a 2-year-old!
So is there a forum on here that has markers or does anyone have any free time to help a mentally challenged teen who writing this at 11 pm?

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2021, 08:13:58 am »
HI, so im not to sure if anyone is bothered or allowed to do this, but I was wondering if someone would be able to read my English advance speech of texts and human experiences I did it on TMOV and a poem by Sylvia Plath and its due in 24 hours and it flows terribly and has the language of a 2-year-old!
So is there a forum on here that has markers or does anyone have any free time to help a mentally challenged teen who writing this at 11 pm?

Very happy to give it a read. I'm a Victorian student but I studied Plath this year and TMOV a little while ago. I'd love to help!