Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 03:35:03 pm

Author Topic: Doing Brave New World as a related text to 1984 will compromise my essay???  (Read 1141 times)

UStoleMyBike

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Hey, I've been told that:

a) Doing texts of the same textual form could limit your analysis
b) Brave New World (like Metropolis, Blade Runner etc) are texts that have already been covered many times in the HSC, and so using them in essays means that it would be difficult for markers to see it as original content when so much of it is already on the internet (and hence be less inclined to give marks).

Is this correct? Should I change to another text (probably The Matrix) even if I've done quite a bit of work on BNW?

Thanks

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
+4
Hey, I've been told that:

a) Doing texts of the same textual form could limit your analysis
b) Brave New World (like Metropolis, Blade Runner etc) are texts that have already been covered many times in the HSC, and so using them in essays means that it would be difficult for markers to see it as original content when so much of it is already on the internet (and hence be less inclined to give marks).

Is this correct? Should I change to another text (probably The Matrix) even if I've done quite a bit of work on BNW?

Thanks

Hi...

a) I wouldn't say that comparing texts of the same form limits analysis in all circumstances. There is generally a lot to compare and draw between texts, regardless of textual form. Rather, on top being the same text types, BNW and 1984 are very similar, almost too similar. I would say in this instance that using these two texts limits how you can show the markers that you can analyse and draw out the contrasts between texts.

b) As BNW used to be a prescribed text for the old syllabus, the markers will be very familiar with it. Although I don't think markers would be less inclined to give marks for BNW, having a less well-known related text shows more skill, and would stand out more to the marker.

So, should you change texts? I can't really answer this question for you, as it is you that has already put a lot of effort into BNW, and you that is going to write the essay. I would highly recommend you talk to your teacher about this, but I hope this has given you some points to consider.  :)
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
+5
Hey, UStoleMyBike!

I agree with kauac’s points about the related text choice. I’ll expand a bit here  :)

a) It is recommended that you have related texts with contrasting textual forms. Having two different textual forms gives you more freedom to explore language forms and features in English and to give your essay variety. There are techniques specific to each form so comparing a novel such as 1984 with a film, play or poem can demonstrate that you recognise the diverse ways composers deliver meaning in their chosen mediums.

That being said, I placed the word “recommended” in bold to point out that it is entirely up to you what you choose to do in the end. As long as you present a strong analysis and write in a succinct, sophisticated manner, it won’t disadvantage you to have two texts with the same medium. While BNW and 1984 do have similar themes and ideas, they distinctively propose the existence of two different worlds; one is a utopia and the other is a dystopia. This major difference can be an interesting point of discussion in an essay whilst simultaneously allowing you to highlight the overlapping aspects within the human condition such as free will, disillusionment and power and authority.

b) It is indeed difficult to come up with original arguments, especially with a prescribed text as well-known as BNW. There are plenty of resources out there that essentially repeat the same analyses on the text and it is not uncommon for students to restrict themselves to that. A large reason why I chose texts that were lesser known or in a foreign language (with an English translation of course) was because I wanted to separate my response from the rest.

However, it’s not impossible to be experimental and radical. If you engage with the text in depth and argue a unique perspective, the response will illuminate itself. For example, you could look at instincts as an anomaly in the human experience, with one of them being our biological need to reproduce rendering us vulnerable to sexual desires. Both BNW and 1984 explore romance in highly intense capacities and the composers represent how confining human instincts can either result in conformity or rebellion in private settings. This is one way you could interpret the texts’ representations of the human experience that deviates from typical themes and effectively allowing you to draw comparisons between both. The markers will give you marks if you give them content that is articulated with precision and carries your own voice as a writer in it  :)

As kauac suggested, consider the pros and cons yourself and make the decision. Seek advice from your teacher because they’ll give you a marker’s perspective (since they determine the results of your internals). If you need help choosing a different related text, let us know in the thread here  8) Good luck and happy new year!

-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music