Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:26:07 pm

Author Topic: Standard English  (Read 3598 times)  Share 

Sarahxx16

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Standard English
« on: January 14, 2019, 09:54:26 am »
+1
Hey, I have a essay to write about human experience and I’m having trouble with it.

“ society is the primary shaping influence in our lives”. To what extent is this true of your prescribed text (Billy Elliot)

darcyynic

• MOTM: NOV 18
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +81
Re: Standard English
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 11:13:29 am »
+5
Hey there!

I haven't seen 'Billy Elliot', but I am aware of some of the major themes, so hopefully I can still provide some useful advice.

I don't know what in particular you are having trouble with in terms of the question, but the good news is that the question itself is quite broad and open. This means you can take the essay in whatever direction you like. Essentially, the question is asking you to what extent society is represented as the major influence over the human experience in 'Billy Elliot'.

In answering this question, you'll need at least three themes/ideas relating to the influences of society over the human experience. Like I said, I haven't seen the film, but here are some general ideas which are associated with questions about society and its impact on the human experience.

- The role of the individual within a wider collective.
- Specific pressures of society which shape an individual.
- The benefits of belonging to a society.
- The desire of the individual to break free from societal constraints.
- The interaction of the individual with societal norms.
- Specific emotions (anger/disappointment/fear/joy/hope) which arise from society's influence over an individual's life.

My first tip when approaching this question is determining to what extent. Do you agree with this statement fully, partially, or not at all? For example, I would argue it's represented to a high extent as Billy Elliot's human experience growing up is shaped by the conflict between the external pressures of society and his personal desires. This tension provides him with important moments of growth and realisation, proving that the statement is represented to a high extent.

Once you have determined this, begin working out a thesis. The thesis needs to state your answer to the question. Personally, my English essays always had a first sentence positing an idea and then a second which introduced the text and my direct answer. For example, this is what I might have written:

The individual is in constant conflict with the pressures of the external collective – a tension from which arises significant human experiences. Society is consequently the most prominent and powerful shaping influence over an individual's life, something which is to a high extent represented in Stephen Daldry's 2000 film 'Billy Elliot.'

Once you've written your introduction (which should introduce your three main ideas which help to answer the question), I would suggest writing a body paragraph for each and a conclusion. Make sure that each body paragraph has a topic sentence, uses a lot of detail (quotes and techniques), and most importantly – answers the question.

I hope this helps. If you need any more advice, feel free to let me know.

Best of luck,
Darcy :)
HSC Class of 2018: English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Modern History, Ancient History, History Extension, and German Continuers.

2019: Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Advanced Studies (Politics and International Relations) (Dalyell Scholars) at USYD.