Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:33:04 pm

Author Topic: Viva Voce Help!  (Read 6004 times)  Share 

meerae

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Trendsetter
  • wack.
  • Respect: +86
Viva Voce Help!
« on: January 18, 2019, 03:33:37 pm »
+1
hihi,

So, my viva is in week2 of this term and I have been freaking out about how to prepare for it. I've been journalling every day (if not, every second day) and I've tried to sit down and write so I can have some sort of extract to show the teachers during my presentation but I have no idea how to properly prepare/what is expected of me. Since the class is small, its extremely competitive and I want to come first...

What is expected for me to talk about during the viva? And what's the best way to prepare for it? How does the presentation even work (Is it all questions or am I supposed to have something prepared to present for some time)?

Thanks,
Rae
2018 hsc; mathematics
2019 hsc; english adv english ext 1&2 math ext 1 legal studies economics

HSC w/ a stresshead {class of'19}

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
Re: Viva Voce Help!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 05:47:53 pm »
+3
hihi,

So, my viva is in week2 of this term and I have been freaking out about how to prepare for it. I've been journalling every day (if not, every second day) and I've tried to sit down and write so I can have some sort of extract to show the teachers during my presentation but I have no idea how to properly prepare/what is expected of me. Since the class is small, its extremely competitive and I want to come first...

What is expected for me to talk about during the viva? And what's the best way to prepare for it? How does the presentation even work (Is it all questions or am I supposed to have something prepared to present for some time)?

Thanks,
Rae

Hey! So the two key things I would say is to be confident and clear.

Essentially, whatever your idea is (even if it may be rough) make sure you project confidence and assurance in what you are putting forward. What you are trying to do is convince your teachers that your concept is strong and that you are passionate about it.

Tied in with this is the need to be clear. So don't ramble - make sure you know exactly what your intentions are with the piece, why you chose to do it this way and what your plans are for executing it.

I think keeping those two things in mind are incredibly important and should make dealing with the presentation simple. If you are confident in your delivery and concise in what you say you will do fine :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

meerae

• Trendsetter
  • wack.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 06:03:41 pm »
Hey! So the two key things I would say is to be confident and clear.

Essentially, whatever your idea is (even if it may be rough) make sure you project confidence and assurance in what you are putting forward. What you are trying to do is convince your teachers that your concept is strong and that you are passionate about it.

Tied in with this is the need to be clear. So don't ramble - make sure you know exactly what your intentions are with the piece, why you chose to do it this way and what your plans are for executing it.

I think keeping those two things in mind are incredibly important and should make dealing with the presentation simple. If you are confident in your delivery and concise in what you say you will do fine :)

Hi,
Thanks so much, I have a clear vision of my idea and how I want to execute it but I do ramble when I get nervous. I am extremely worried I won't be able to convey my major work to the teachers. Any tips on how to get better?
2018 hsc; mathematics

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 06:16:56 pm »
+3
Hi,
Thanks so much, I have a clear vision of my idea and how I want to execute it but I do ramble when I get nervous. I am extremely worried I won't be able to convey my major work to the teachers. Any tips on how to get better?

What I would say is think of key points to cover

E.G

Main concept, texts you have studied to give you an idea of how/what to write, structure of your major work, what you will need (equipment) etc

Then you have key points to cover and your presentation will be more organised rather than looking like a muddle of ideas - does that make sense?

The most important thing is that you can explain the concept of your major in two sentences or less!
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

meerae

• Trendsetter
  • wack.
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 08:02:24 pm »
+1
What I would say is think of key points to cover

E.G

Main concept, texts you have studied to give you an idea of how/what to write, structure of your major work, what you will need (equipment) etc

Then you have key points to cover and your presentation will be more organised rather than looking like a muddle of ideas - does that make sense?

The most important thing is that you can explain the concept of your major in two sentences or less!

yes! thanks so much, I'll definitely start practicing to sound more confident when presenting :)
2018 hsc; mathematics

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 12:03:22 pm »
+3
Hey, meerae!

Are you allowed to use a slideshow for your Viva? I found that having one helped me remember the key points of my Major Work and allowed my presentation to have flow and order. If you are able to use one, I would highly recommend it! If you aren't able to, try and remember the order in which you want to present your points so you have cohesion to your presentation and your ideas will be easier to elaborate on  :) Hope this helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

meerae

• Trendsetter
  • wack.
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 06:40:34 pm »
+1
Hey, meerae!

Are you allowed to use a slideshow for your Viva? I found that having one helped me remember the key points of my Major Work and allowed my presentation to have flow and order. If you are able to use one, I would highly recommend it! If you aren't able to, try and remember the order in which you want to present your points so you have cohesion to your presentation and your ideas will be easier to elaborate on  :) Hope this helps!

Angelina  ;D

Hi Angelina,
I actually have no idea, my ext2 teacher is away for the holidays so there's no way to ask him. I'll definitely find out because that'd be extremely helpful. Is there anything else that I could do additionally to enhance my presentation? I also heard that sometimes they ask questions that aren't on the document we were given, does this happen or if it happens is it just for clarification? Also, how much of your viva was written down on palm cards/elaborated on the spot?

2018 hsc; mathematics

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 10:26:02 pm »
+3
Hi Angelina,
I actually have no idea, my ext2 teacher is away for the holidays so there's no way to ask him. I'll definitely find out because that'd be extremely helpful. Is there anything else that I could do additionally to enhance my presentation? I also heard that sometimes they ask questions that aren't on the document we were given, does this happen or if it happens is it just for clarification? Also, how much of your viva was written down on palm cards/elaborated on the spot?

Hey, meerae!

Definitely check to see if having a PowerPoint is allowed because it was incredibly helpful. Rather than what more you could do to enhance it, I would actually recommend reducing your content on the PowerPoint to the main points you have and simply leave dot points on them. You could instead have images to make the slides more interesting and incorporate quotes from any critics or research you have done already to show where your ideas are coming from. Less is certainly more with PowerPoint presentations.

I only had the same number of palm cards as I did with my slides and the same dot points there on my cards. I did this so I was able to use them as prompters and was able to speak off them without looking at my slides  ;D It takes a lot of practice to speak on the spot which is why I would advise you to practise delivering your Viva to your family and peers. You can rehearse speaking off the top of your head in a more comfortable setting that way  ;D

As for impromptu questions, I got asked two questions on the spot but I know some of my other classmates did not. This is usually just for clarification but if you get a question like mine about where you may intend to take a certain idea, take a breath, think about what you want to honestly tell them and be confident in your response. The markers will appreciate that you have processed their question and given a truthful answer, rather than one that is rehearsed and regurgitated  :) Once again, rehearsing your Viva in front of people you are comfortable is beneficial. They can ask you any questions they may have and you can practise responding to them. This can simulate the experience of the Viva and prepare you for that possibility.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck with it and do tell us how it goes  8)

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music