Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 11:08:13 am

Author Topic: English Essay  (Read 785 times)  Share 

Sarahxx16

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
English Essay
« on: January 23, 2019, 04:46:18 pm »
I just wrote a thesis and the first paragraph for my essay and I need some feedback. The question is “society is the primary shaping influence in our lives “ to what extent is this true on billy Elliot ?

Thesis:
Individuals are often in conflict with the pressure of society, a tension which is driven by behavioural expectations, social class/ values and social expectations which are represented to a high extent in the 2000 film ‘ Billy Elliot ‘ directed by Stephen daldry based of a society in the 1980s Durham.

First paragraph:
Behavioural expectations are a major factor in shaping the influence of a individual such as masculinity and class based stereotype. Billy Elliot challenges the expectations of a male in the 1980s by taking a interest in a less masculine activity which is ballet. In the film, Billy is seen being unable to fight in the boxing scene where he starts moving around and being knocked to the ground . During this scene , the audience is able to see Jackie watching billy fight behind a wire cage which symbolises the separation between Jackie and billy.
Jackie fits in with the mascbilitu role by working in the mines and now on stroke and his liking in a more masculine sport such as boxing. The contrast beteeen the two shows how society is shaping an individual as a person. Jackie is a more aggressive person whereas billy is a more loving , thoughtful person by helping to take care of his grandmother. Class based stereotype is another aspect of society behavioural expectations. The working class is seen as supporting the miner strike with Jackie and tony getting involved in the strike themselves . Billy is seen less interested and more interested in auditioning for the royal ballet school . In the scene when billy goes to mrs Wilkinson house , mr Wilkinson asked billy if his family is part of the strike. This is shown through the contrast of the two living environments with billy house is filled with clothes laying around , food still on the table, houses stuck together whereas mrs Wilkinson house has paintings , flowers , space.  Mr Wilkinson reply shows the lack of communication between the two class. His reply was “ I shouldn’t worry . They won’t last long “ showing how the middle class Dosent support the strike and that it Dosent affect them as much as the working class who are working hard .