Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:40:27 pm

Author Topic: Australian identity  (Read 822 times)  Share 

Sarahxx16

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Australian identity
« on: April 10, 2019, 05:50:07 pm »
Hey, what ideas should I write a story on. It has to be based on Australian identity and culture.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Australian identity
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 10:01:43 pm »
+4
Hey, what ideas should I write a story on. It has to be based on Australian identity and culture.

Hey, Sarahxx16!

I can't exactly give you an idea for imaginative writing since creative writing is not something you can force and using someone else's ideas isn't particularly academic honesty  :) I can give you some pointers on what your story should aim to do though.

- Australian identity is incredibly broad but what your story should explore is what exactly defines it and how it permeates personal and collective lives. The module's focus on identity intends to illuminate individual struggles and challenges with understanding and reconciling complex identities. Since Australia is inherently a multicultural country, the story needs to essentially present a solution to this overarching issue of what it means to be Australian, especially if you have a different ethnic background.

- Context is central to achieving this. The setting of your story will determine how your plot moves and your character/s respond to them. The descriptions could try to link Australian aspects of life with other symbols to show that multiplicity of cultural infusions in Australia. For example, I could say "dusty roads, clustered with irregular-shaped pebbles, resembled the jagged gongshi that towered over my mother's garden." Doing this also addresses the "Language" focus of the module, incorporating simple but significant references that present an overall message on the world we live in.

- The creative piece should be more or less influenced by the ideas, language forms and features of your prescribed text/s. Since you haven't been given a stimulus for this task, refer back to your prescribed and the meanings you gained from it about identity and culture. Your creative could agree or disagree with these messages, extend from them or present alternative perspectives inspired from them. This will enable you to demonstrate your understanding of not only Australian identity and culture as constructs, but also as core ideas in your own text.

We also have two amazing imaginative writing resources, Creative Writing- Advice from a Cambridge Uni Student and Ultimate Guide to Creative Writing which was for the old syllabus but can give you general tips on how to approach and model a strong piece. Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music