Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:03:57 am

Author Topic: Measure Oil Randcidity Through Colorimetry  (Read 4221 times)  Share 

Dominique_A

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Measure Oil Randcidity Through Colorimetry
« on: May 26, 2019, 04:44:31 pm »
Hello, does anyone know if its possible to test the rancidity of oils through colorimetry? There are numerous methods online explaining how to measure the peroxide value (measure of rancidity) through a titration, but I was hoping to analyse it through colorimetry.

The general method is:
1. Weigh out about 5 grams of the fat or oil in a dry 250mL stoppered bottle or
flask.
2. Add 30mL of the ethanoic acid and hexane mixture and swirl the flask to
dissolve the fat or oil.
3. Add 0.5mL of the potassium iodide solution and allow to
stand for one minute.
4. Shake occasionally.

Would it be possible to simply take a sample of the mixture and measure it with a colorimeter from this step?
I'm really struggling and would appreciate any help that anyone has  :-[

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
Re: Measure Oil Randcidity Through Colorimetry
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 10:26:00 pm »
Hello, does anyone know if its possible to test the rancidity of oils through colorimetry? There are numerous methods online explaining how to measure the peroxide value (measure of rancidity) through a titration, but I was hoping to analyse it through colorimetry.

The general method is:
1. Weigh out about 5 grams of the fat or oil in a dry 250mL stoppered bottle or
flask.
2. Add 30mL of the ethanoic acid and hexane mixture and swirl the flask to
dissolve the fat or oil.
3. Add 0.5mL of the potassium iodide solution and allow to
stand for one minute.
4. Shake occasionally.

Would it be possible to simply take a sample of the mixture and measure it with a colorimeter from this step?
I'm really struggling and would appreciate any help that anyone has  :-[

Hey dude! I don't have an answer at the moment, but I just wanted to ask where you got this method from? Then, I'll be able to track and get the thing you needed ;D

SO sorry for replying late, but MANN your topic is hard. You are right, the main technique is titration for finding the peroxide value. I found some articles that use colorimetry but it was locked. Hopefully I'll get a better sight for what to find when you tell me where you got this information from ;D. Again, so sorry for replying late!!!
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

Pop Alexandra

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 07:32:30 pm »
That's quite a difficult chemical analysis. Did you manage to follow through with it?
I'd be interested in seeing your results.

JESSqjones

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 01:10:01 pm »
Hi there,

I have just finished year 11 and I am choosing my year 12 subjects. I am looking for some advice :)

I am considering dropping Chemistry. However, I really like it but it's my weakest subject and I studied really hard for it and still only got 58% for my preliminary exam :(

I am also considering taking science extension if I drop Chemistry.

I am aiming for a 95+ atar but will most likely get 90+. I am willing to put in the hard work!

My current subjects are:
- English Advanced
- Maths Standard 2
- Biology
- Legal Studies
- PDHPE
- Chemistry

Thanks So Much!!!