Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:07:15 pm

Author Topic: Dating apps  (Read 5372 times)  Share 

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
Dating apps
« on: July 06, 2019, 04:11:31 pm »
Just starting a discussion for fun (was an obsessive user at various points). Does anyone here use dating apps? If so, which ones? What are your thoughts on the apps? Any interesting experiences that you'd like share?

For people that have never used them, feel free to ask any Qs!
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

zuijinde

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
Re: Dating apps
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 06:08:02 pm »
Just starting a discussion for fun (was an obsessive user at various points). Does anyone here use dating apps? If so, which ones? What are your thoughts on the apps? Any interesting experiences that you'd like share?

For people that have never used them, feel free to ask any Qs!
How actually are dating apps? I've never used it and am not opposed to it but I'm also not the biggest fan as I'd be judging people from their profile pictures without getting to know them. I can see the pros of using dating apps, though.
Have you had a successful date thus far?

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 11:08:39 pm »
+8
Admittedly I did use a dating app for a very brief time (Bumble) and it was fun at first but got boring and repetitive after a while. I did feel bad from judging people from their profiles alone. Also the thing with Bumble is that the female had to message first and had to do it within 24 hours or else they'll lose their match. I could not think of any more message starters. I felt super guilty for the ones who used their extender on me.

Also kinda glad that I went through this whole dating app experience because I know now to avoid dating apps and would prefer to meet someone in real life. I could definitely see why it would be great for other people as it provides a platform to meet potential partners anywhere- not just for me personally.
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 09:57:06 am »
+14
I joined Tinder for a laugh early last year and ended up meeting my boyfriend who I've been with for over a year now!

codsta769

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 05:50:11 pm »
+4
Myself being 20 years old now, ive been using Tinder for a while now. I think that it can be fun at times but can be pretty boring for a Male considering that we dont match often with girls. What really makes me angry is how when you do match with a girl, they dont reply to your messages. like whats the point of liking me if your not gonna reply ? Ive matched with heaps of girls but have never met up with them in real life except one time i almost got to go on a date :D. Ive also seen heaps of people that i know in real life on tinder and i will admit to liking them if i thought they were hot. Havnt matched with them unfortunately, or that would be awkward. I dont use it every day and is more of a weekly thing and is more of a weekly thing i do when im bored or if theres a good match messaging me.

Other than that, i think dating apps are something that everyone needs to put on their bucket list. I honestly dont care if people i know find me on it, which is a common fear amongst users. I dont think you should to considering that you will probably go past them while swiping eventually.
Final year Bachelor of Business Student@ University of Technology Sydney (UTS).
Majors in Marketing and Human Resource Management.

HSC Class of 2017:
Standard English
General Mathematics
Business Studies
Legal Studies
Senior Science
Studies of Religion I

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 07:39:49 pm »
+6
I've had the Bumble app for seven months, but haven't done any messaging on it for more than a month since I was dating someone for a while and they left for the Masters studies in Berlin, started swiping again and didn't find anything that caught my eye so I've barely been on it for the past two weeks. For the first three weeks I was on the app, I dated about 3 people a week and spoke to 5 people at a time for the post part (was very new to I've only been in one long-term relationship which ended almost a year ago). Although I went on a lot of one-off dates for those three weeks, I really liked the first person I went out with so we dated for about a month (ended because although the person was attractive, funny, interesting and lovely-I was slightly nervous around him since he was my first and was also 9 years older than me so while he got along there weren't chemistry sparks-we're still friends though).

After the first three weeks, the novelty of online dating wore off a bit and I didn't pressure myself to date or message multiple people. As for why people don't message after matching; you don't just wipe right on one person and expect to match. You swipe right on a few, hope to get some matches and trying to hold engaged conversations with multiple people is tiring. I had an unpleasant experience once (mostly cause by me), where the other person starting talking about a relationship and other intense things before even meeting up, a part of me though was not physically attracted to this person (was also living in Geelong and didn't seem to do anything else in life apart from Med school) so I got nervous and kinda flaked on the spot. From that experience, I've learnt to be ok with trusting my instincts (even if they aren't rational) and feeling the vibe with people. I only went out with people who I was very physically attracted to, gave a charismatic vibe, seemed interesting and make me feel excited to be going for a date. I went out with four people (one at a time), where the dating arrangement lasted from 3 weeks to 2 months. I really like all of them. Two of them moved overseas (one was a Brit backpacker) and another who I saw relationship potential (he later told me he saw it as well) with ended things because of personal circumstances. Having dated five really great people for a reasonable duration and pretty much soon after each other, I think my luck with Bumble has ran out.

Soon after the last person I've dated left (I got a new phone with more storage space), I downloaded Tinder, Coffee Meets Bagel and Okcupid. I deleted Tinder (photo and profile quality weren't great) and CMB (did not like my suggested matches and I can't preemptively like matches without paying) after two weeks. The profiles of OKC are of a higher quality than the other apps and there are many nerds, artsy/left of field people on it but I've been inundated with plenty of basic and objectifying (which made me feel self-conscious) messages as well as many others from people who I didn't find attractive or who were in their mid-late 30s. You can message people on OKC before matching. Having been using OKC, I now appreciate the initiative I was forced to take of Bumble, where I tend to put more effort into convos since I started it.

I haven't dated anyone (by choice) on a non-Bumble app and am one foot in and one foot out of dating apps but I recently saw a profile that gave me a vibe/spark so I'll probably try pre-emptive match messaging.
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb