Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:42:32 am

Author Topic: Word count  (Read 3826 times)  Share 

Natasack

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Word count
« on: July 28, 2020, 08:26:02 pm »
What would be an average word count per essay for Standard English?
My plan is 900-1000, but not sure if I will be able to achieve this  :-[

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Word count
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 08:51:19 pm »
+2
What would be an average word count per essay for Standard English?
My plan is 900-1000, but not sure if I will be able to achieve this  :-[

Hey, Natasack!

This is a great question! I generally recommend for students to write anywhere between 800-1100 words under exam conditions depending on how fast they write so 900-1000 words is a very achievable amount  :) If in doubt, see if you can find one of your previous essays for an assessment you've already done and try to write it in 40 minutes (or 45 if it's for Common Module). The only way you can know whether you are able to write your targetted amount is to test it out!

That being said, you won't have any idea how much you are writing under exam conditions anyway. The key things you need for your essay are relevant themes to give your essay structure (and to make sure you don't go on tangents), enough quotes and techniques to argue your point (I would say 3 minimum and 5 maximum under exam conditions) and balance in your discussion (your bodies should be roughly the same length, especially since the number of examples you're using will be). Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Natasack

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 09:10:03 pm »
Hey, Natasack!

This is a great question! I generally recommend for students to write anywhere between 800-1100 words under exam conditions depending on how fast they write so 900-1000 words is a very achievable amount  :) If in doubt, see if you can find one of your previous essays for an assessment you've already done and try to write it in 40 minutes (or 45 if it's for Common Module). The only way you can know whether you are able to write your targetted amount is to test it out!

That being said, you won't have any idea how much you are writing under exam conditions anyway. The key things you need for your essay are relevant themes to give your essay structure (and to make sure you don't go on tangents), enough quotes and techniques to argue your point (I would say 3 minimum and 5 maximum under exam conditions) and balance in your discussion (your bodies should be roughly the same length, especially since the number of examples you're using will be). Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
Thanks
3 quotes minimum per paragraph, right?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 10:26:53 pm »
+1
Thanks
3 quotes minimum per paragraph, right?

Yep! Try to have four per paragraph if you can but 3 will do :)

Angelina  :D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music