Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:42:41 am

Author Topic: Common Module: Texts and Human Experiences Unseen Texts Practice Questions  (Read 6500 times)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Common Module: Texts and Human Experiences Unseen Texts Practice Questions

Hey, everyone! This thread here is a compilation of sample unseen texts questions for the Common Module: Texts and Human Experiences. I was inspired to create this from katie,rinos' collaborative music question bank. All questions will be originally written by yours truly but feel free to contribute any questions you have come across, as well ask questions on them! Here is the first one to kick this thread off  ;D

Question: Explain how Text 1 employs visual language forms and features to challenge existing assumptions. (3 marks)

Text 1- Advertisement

-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
+3
Question: How does Text 2 illuminate everyday experiences? (4 marks)

Text 2- Poem
Perhaps the World Ends Here

The world begins at a kitchen table. No matter what, we must eat to live.

The gifts of earth are brought and prepared, set on the table. So it has been since creation, and it will go on.

We chase chickens or dogs away from it. Babies teethe at the corners. They scrape their knees under it.

It is here that children are given instructions on what it means to be human. We make men at it, we make women.

At this table we gossip, recall enemies and the ghosts of lovers.

Our dreams drink coffee with us as they put their arms around our children. They laugh with us at our poor falling-down selves and as we put ourselves back together once again at the table.

This table has been a house in the rain, an umbrella in the sun.

Wars have begun and ended at this table. It is a place to hide in the shadow of terror. A place to celebrate the terrible victory.

We have given birth on this table, and have prepared our parents for burial here.

At this table we sing with joy, with sorrow. We pray of suffering and remorse. We give thanks.

Perhaps the world will end at the kitchen table, while we are laughing and crying, eating of the last sweet bite.

JOY HARJO

Retrieved from Poetry Foundation.
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
+3
Question: How does Text 3 explore the paradox of belonging? (3 marks)

Text 3- Cartoon
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
+2
Question: Discuss how poetic devices have been employed in Text 4 to represent individual and collective human experiences. (5 marks)

Text 4- Poem
Tired

I am tired of work; I am tired of building up somebody else’s civilization.

Let us take a rest, M’Lissy Jane.

I will go down to the Last Chance Saloon, drink a gallon or two of gin, shoot a game or two of dice and sleep the rest of the night on one of Mike’s barrels.

You will let the old shanty go to rot, the white people’s clothes turn to dust, and the Calvary Baptist Church sink to the bottomless pit.

You will spend your days forgetting you married me and your nights hunting the warm gin Mike serves the ladies in the rear of the Last Chance Saloon.

Throw the children into the river; civilization has given us too many. It is better to die than it is to grow up and find out that you are colored.

Pluck the stars out of the heavens. The stars mark our destiny. The stars marked my destiny.

I am tired of civilization.
FENTON JOHNSON

Retrieved from Poetry Foundation.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 05:38:13 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-