Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:09:06 pm

Author Topic: Advice for English Standard students  (Read 3329 times)  Share 

jerry.banerjee

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Advice for English Standard students
« on: October 06, 2020, 10:14:20 am »
Hi there! I am starting my year 12 course next week. I was wondering if anyone had any tips that would help me achieve a high score in English Standard.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Advice for English Standard students
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 04:23:48 pm »
+3
Hi there! I am starting my year 12 course next week. I was wondering if anyone had any tips that would help me achieve a high score in English Standard.

Hey, jerry.banerjee!

A warm welcome to the forums  ;D This is a super broad question which I always have trouble answering because there are so many things that I feel contribute to how you perform in the HSC. If I could pick three tips to recommend at this stage where you're just starting off with Year 12, here's what I could offer!

- Read through the rubrics for English Standard and begin engaging with your prescribed texts in advance. Having an idea of what you will be covering in class this year and what you will ultimately be assessed on can put you in a good place heading into the year. I would highly encourage being proactive with your prescribed texts because Year 12 can get really busy quick. You might want to email your teacher and ask, if you don't already know, what you'll be studying for the first module and see if you can go through it prior to the term starting. Make this a habit that you run through your other prescribed texts during the holidays so you can focus on analysis, formulating your ideas and working through practice responses during the term itself.

- Practise writing as much as you can and hold yourself accountable. You can only improve in English if you keep writing, keep experimenting, keep exploring, keep learning. I wrote an essay (or at least an essay introduction) almost every fortnight in my HSC and either submitted it to my teacher for feedback or shared it with my peers for marking. This helped me recognise my strengths and areas in need of improvement over time and gradually allowed me to develop my own style for creative and critical writing responses. I would highly recommend starting this early and keeping the momentum going throughout the entire year because it could make a huge difference!

- Explore other resources beyond what you are provided in class. I found that I was able to find new expressions to add to my vocabulary, develop stronger arguments and broaden my understanding of my texts and the modules through doing wider reading. Some great places to start looking for resources on your texts include using Google Scholar, JSTOR (if your school has access to it), Academia, and news platforms such as The Guardian, The Conversation and The New York Times. I know for a lot of students this isn't always an enjoyable experience but there are plenty of engaging and interesting resources out there to find which you never know might end up being extremely helpful and transformative in how you approach the subject.

Finally, if you want to get a head start on the content for English Standard, you should also check out Bella's Head Start lecture slides here! It's a fantastic overview of what HSC English is like and will get you hyped up for a great year ahead. Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music