Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:35:01 pm

Author Topic: How to elevate to a definite 20/20 mark?  (Read 1107 times)

BakerDad12

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
How to elevate to a definite 20/20 mark?
« on: October 11, 2020, 04:09:26 pm »
+1
Hi guys. Right now, most of my essays are around the 18-19/20 range. Are there any specific ways I can elevate my response to that 20/20 mark? Of course, I can always increase sophistication, cohesiveness and use of evidence - which I am working on - but I was wondering if there were any 'not-commonly-thought-of' ways to improve my essays? For example, I read that showing a strong voice in your writing will help, but that's an area I'm fairly strong in.

Thank you!

alice343

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +125
Re: How to elevate to a definite 20/20 mark?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 07:20:10 pm »
+2
Hi guys. Right now, most of my essays are around the 18-19/20 range. Are there any specific ways I can elevate my response to that 20/20 mark? Of course, I can always increase sophistication, cohesiveness and use of evidence - which I am working on - but I was wondering if there were any 'not-commonly-thought-of' ways to improve my essays? For example, I read that showing a strong voice in your writing will help, but that's an area I'm fairly strong in.

Thank you!

I definitely am in the same boat as you!! I've been stuck in the 18-19 range for the whole of year 12. There's this ATAR Notes article which is quite useful:
https://atarnotes.com/hsc-english-essay/
I've been keeping it in mind now whenever I'm writing my English essays. The main takeaways; integrate evidence (integrated quotes > set quotes), having unique analysis, be less rigid with the structure of paragraphs and be more experimental (hence creating personal voice), and always making sure to include context (of all types) in your analysis.
2020 HSC: English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Society and Culture, History Extension

BakerDad12

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 08:57:01 pm »
+1
Hey, thanks for the response! I've also seen that article, it's been helpful. I think I'll just focus on improving the basics - there are lapses sometimes - and I'll see how it goes.

alice343

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +125
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 12:55:04 pm »
+1
Hey, thanks for the response! I've also seen that article, it's been helpful. I think I'll just focus on improving the basics - there are lapses sometimes - and I'll see how it goes.

Yea I think the biggest thing would just be consistency. Consistency is key!
2020 HSC: English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Society and Culture, History Extension