Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 09:37:57 pm

Author Topic: Trouble Phrasing This Idea  (Read 1042 times)

BakerDad12

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
Trouble Phrasing This Idea
« on: October 18, 2020, 10:30:11 am »
Hey guys, so a lot of the Mod A questions have been based on the idea that the textual conversation deepens our understanding/appreciation of both texts. Most of my responses to this type of question has been quite similar, and I've been recycling  the same quotes. However, there is one quote that I'm struggling to coherently express my analysis - I know what I want to say, but I can't convey it.

This is the quote: “The smell of misery lies over everyone. But for a few brief moments he can unbind that spell.”

My analysis runs along these lines: Atwood purposefully alludes to Prospero's magic, and draws comparisons between the power of theatre and the power of magic in The Tempest. In doing so, she transforms a concept not particularly viewed as 'powerful' or 'mystical'  - not to the extent of magic, anyway - and accentuates its power.

Basically, I'm saying that by comparing theatre to magic, which is established as extremely powerful in The Tempest, Atwood tries to accentuate the power of theatre.

I can't think of a way to phrase this clearly - can you guys help me out?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Trouble Phrasing This Idea
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 10:42:43 pm »
+1
Hey, BakerDad12!

Hopefully this isn't too last minute of me to answer but I can see what you're aiming for in the analysis! I think it's a really great idea as well since Hag-Seed is highly metatheatrical. Perhaps if you expressed it like this, it might capture your analysis better and make a little more sense; In Felix's staging of the play, and Atwood's allusion to Prospero's abilities in magic, Hag-Seed transforms the reader's understanding of The Tempest as merely a play with supernatural forces to one that is highly indicative of the power and wonder of theatre itself. See if you can word it in your own way!

Unless you plan to discuss the first sentence as part of your analysis (using juxtaposition, olfactory imagery, inclusive language etc.), you also could shorten this quote down to just "But for a few brief moments he can unbind that spell." You only need to provide in your quotes what you will actually be analysing and any other details that will help contextualise it (so not just removing a bunch of random words which leaves the quote confusing)  :) Hope that helps and all the best for Paper 1 tomorrow!

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 09:43:56 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music