Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:06:26 am

Author Topic: 1984 essay question help  (Read 3801 times)

BlackFrost

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
1984 essay question help
« on: December 10, 2020, 03:18:53 pm »
Hey guys, please give me some advice on how I could approach this question; I'm especially confused about how 'imperfections' are linked to any aspects of 1984. Thanks.
“Stories make us more aware of how human imperfections shape the way composers represent human experiences.”

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: 1984 essay question help
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 03:41:40 pm »
+5
Hey guys, please give me some advice on how I could approach this question; I'm especially confused about how 'imperfections' are linked to any aspects of 1984. Thanks.
“Stories make us more aware of how human imperfections shape the way composers represent human experiences.”

Hey, BlackFrost!

Interesting question you have there  :D I would interpret the "imperfections" part as flaws. You should discuss how flawed motivations, behaviours, judgements, attitudes etc. in 1984 are central to determining what the characters in the novel represent and how they interact with the story. You should pick out three themes that can enable you to explore the idea that human flaws/imperfections are worth examining because they offer avenues for us to understand how to be better people, to empathise deeper with others etc. Hopefully that you should give you some direction to work with but let me know if you need any further help  :)

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

BlackFrost

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 05:49:33 pm »
Hey, BlackFrost!

Interesting question you have there  :D I would interpret the "imperfections" part as flaws. You should discuss how flawed motivations, behaviours, judgements, attitudes etc. in 1984 are central to determining what the characters in the novel represent and how they interact with the story. You should pick out three themes that can enable you to explore the idea that human flaws/imperfections are worth examining because they offer avenues for us to understand how to be better people, to empathise deeper with others etc. Hopefully that you should give you some direction to work with but let me know if you need any further help  :)

Angelina  ;D

Hi Angelina,
for flawed motivations I was thinking about the Party's imperfect method to gain power, which results in Winston's emotional breakdown and the perpetual fear people live in. For flawed attitudes, I was thinking about the citizens conforming to societal expectations.
But I'm not too sure if it is a good idea to talk about Winston and Julia's relationship being flawed - since they eventually betray each other. Please give me some advice.
Thanks again for your help !  :D

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 12:36:36 am »
+3
Hi Angelina,
for flawed motivations I was thinking about the Party's imperfect method to gain power, which results in Winston's emotional breakdown and the perpetual fear people live in. For flawed attitudes, I was thinking about the citizens conforming to societal expectations.
But I'm not too sure if it is a good idea to talk about Winston and Julia's relationship being flawed - since they eventually betray each other. Please give me some advice.
Thanks again for your help !  :D

Hey again!

You might want to look at flawed judgements as a way to rationalise Winston and Julia's relationship as being inevitably tragic and problematic. By them betraying one another, you could make the argument that human judgement is inherently susceptible to error and when it is driven by something as irrational as love/lust/attraction, its collapse is bound to come. I think when you have to exercise any judgement, agency, decision-making etc. in a society that has diminished your ability to, being guided by emotions that are intense but fleeting can only lead to further destruction. I definitely think you could look at their relationship as an example of how humans are imperfect and while we might find momentary comfort and pleasure in others, we need to first and foremost understand ourselves and navigate our own thinking, feeling etc. with a balanced consideration of reason and instinct. Hope that makes sense and helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music