Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:59:34 pm

Author Topic: TITRATION - POLYPROTIC ACID  (Read 3251 times)  Share 

I.09

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
TITRATION - POLYPROTIC ACID
« on: March 17, 2021, 10:21:25 pm »
Hey Guys,

I would greatly appreciate any help/advice on how to conduct a titration between the analyte citric acid and the titrand sodium hydroxide? I know that the citric acid is a triprotic acid but is there any way to know at what pH that the three protons are released theoretically (I searched this up and nothing came up)?

Thanks in advance.
p.s can anyone reply as soon as they can please

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
Re: TITRATION - POLYPROTIC ACID
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 12:46:41 am »
+1
Hey there!

I haven't touched any chemistry in a really long time, but based on a few searches + my memory, it would be something reasonably high given you're using a strong base and a weak acid - sites I've looked at have the equivalence point at anywhere between pH 7 and pH 9. You can almost generalise this a little with weak/strong acid/base reactions (and I think intuitively this should come around anyway given the number of titrations you end up doing). The one thing you should be careful of is that the protons are lost at different pH ranges (but luckily I don't recall that ever being a consideration at HSC level; it's instead 'reconsidered' so you only look at one set of losses). This is definitely why most students tend to avoid polyprotic acids with titration (at high school level anyway).

Also, please note that the forums are run by volunteers! We do our best to answer ASAP, but sometimes we're bogged down by other work and life stuff, and due to how quiet some areas of the forum are, there might not actually be anyone that knows what they're talking about or knows what they need to look for to answer your question. Hope this makes sense! :D

Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

I.09

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: TITRATION - POLYPROTIC ACID
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 06:50:30 am »
Thank you so much. I greatly appreciate the work of all the volunteers who run this forum.
We had to do a polyprotic titration.