Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:13:15 pm

Author Topic: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time Essay  (Read 3184 times)  Share 

seanweir

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time Essay
« on: June 13, 2021, 08:17:26 pm »
Hey guys,

I'm writing an essay for standard English on CI, the question is "In what ways does The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time invite responders to question trust and truth in the modern world?" My introduction is just below, advice on whether I'm on the right track or the contrary would be greatly appreciated:

Trust and truth are two interchangeable concepts, coloured by their subjective nature which subsequently questions their validity as concepts that help us define the nuanced and challenging nature of the modern world. Within The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time (CI), author Mark Haddon epitomises the complex nature of the two through Christopher, taking heavy influence from the detective fiction genre in order to explore the truth about Christopher. Accordingly, pushing the reader into a position that demands attention to the distinct uniqueness of Chris’s voice and personality as we are put into his perspective. As a result we as readers are forced to re-evaluate the genuinity of trust and truth as concepts that can be regarded as universally applicable, drawing into question their role in providing stability and order in a world plagued by uncertainty and distress. Additionally Haddon reaffirms this with the other non-neurodivergent characters within the text, underlining the role of trust and truth in attempts to provide order within the lives of Christopher's mother, father and Mrs Alexander. Thus, CI invites readers to question trust and truth through the medium of Christopher’s perspective, in addition to drawing on detective genre tropes that ultimately leads us to reflect on whether our conception of trust and truth is relevant beyond an individual context.