Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:23:00 pm

Author Topic: Does it matter what UNI I get my degree from?  (Read 5002 times)

Stringy

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Does it matter what UNI I get my degree from?
« on: December 21, 2018, 01:02:02 am »
Hey guys, I have the choice to study at UTS and obtain a masters degree in physiotherapy after around 5 years, following the correct pathways. I also have an opportunity to study at Charles Sturt University, a less prestigious but very convenient university (location, costs etc). The course at Charles Sturt also is only 4 years, so I will be able to start my career a year earlier.

My question is, will employers and institutions take into consideration the University I’ve completed my degree at, and will it deter employers if said University isn’t highly ranked?

Thanks!

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Does it matter what UNI I get my degree from?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 01:35:48 am »
+6
The answer to this question really depends on the discipline... in most cases (at the Bachelor level), the uni you go to doesn't matter as most courses are required to teach similar content to meet accreditation requirements. The rankings and choice of university start to get more important when you go beyond a Bachelor degree - inc. Honours, Masters, doctoral etc.. as rankings really are based on research (you'll find that only a very small percentage is weighted towards the actual teaching quality, topics taught etc and heavily weighted towards research)  and these three post-graduate options (idk if you'd even consider Hons post-grad, really.. I wouldn't but it technically is after your standard 3 year completion) have a research/thesis/capstone component anyway.

Some disciplines really push the prestige requirement but in most situations, choose a uni that you're comfortable with. Get interested in the rankings etc. when you decide to pursue your Masters.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 01:42:02 am by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Stringy

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 02:02:33 am »
Thank you, that is very helpful.

Stringy

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 07:54:57 pm »
The answer to this question really depends on the discipline... in most cases (at the Bachelor level), the uni you go to doesn't matter as most courses are required to teach similar content to meet accreditation requirements. The rankings and choice of university start to get more important when you go beyond a Bachelor degree - inc. Honours, Masters, doctoral etc.. as rankings really are based on research (you'll find that only a very small percentage is weighted towards the actual teaching quality, topics taught etc and heavily weighted towards research)  and these three post-graduate options (idk if you'd even consider Hons post-grad, really.. I wouldn't but it technically is after your standard 3 year completion) have a research/thesis/capstone component anyway.

Some disciplines really push the prestige requirement but in most situations, choose a uni that you're comfortable with. Get interested in the rankings etc. when you decide to pursue your Masters.

Can I transfer universities when completing my honours? If i was to get into the honours stream?

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 08:34:17 pm »
+2
Can I transfer universities when completing my honours? If i was to get into the honours stream?
It depends on the uni you want to go to for your honours year and whether they will accept you. Some places may not accept many external students for Honours. In order to become an Honours student, majority of the time, it's up to you to find and contact your future supervisor on your own at the end of third year. So, yes, you could transfer between 3rd and 4th years (4th being Honours), as long as you have found a supervisor there yourself, that supervisor has said yes and the university you're hoping to do your Honours year at allows for a transfer and takes external applicants. However, you can't just transfer between semesters during Honours if that's what you mean. Honours is a whole year course.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread