Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:50:57 am

Author Topic: Selective School Test Q&A Thread  (Read 76230 times)  Share 

• MOTM: July 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +158
Re: Selective School Test Q&A Thread
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2021, 07:32:08 pm »
What are my chances of getting in if these are the results for my practice test (Hendersons) and I have been studying 5 hours a day(MHS)
Maths(31/60)
Verbal(43/60)
Numerical(44/50)
Comprehension(36/50)
Writing(17/25)

I would really appreciate if someone could tell me my chances.
Welcome to the forums CurryMan22,

I can't really tell you your chances of getting in as I don't know the difficulty of the hendersons mock exams, or how you performed in relation with the other students who sat the same mock exam.

But based on my experience doing the exams last year, maths and numerical hendersons were significantly easier than the real deal. Verbal reasoning and reading comprehension were reasonably similar.

Good to see your commitment to this exam, and best of luck!  :)

CurryMan22

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2021, 08:20:23 pm »
Thanks, man for your insight much appreciated, have a good day.

CurryMan22

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2021, 12:59:24 pm »
I already posted this but I got compared to other students in the Hendersons and I ended up with 5 superiors, so would these be good enough considering that they said that they made some of the tests harder this year?

AnxiousInd

• Trailblazer
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2021, 03:44:39 pm »
I think 5 superiors would be more than enough to get you in if you can perform that in the exam. I mean it is the best score you can get.

AnxiousInd

• Trailblazer
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2021, 03:47:31 pm »
I think 5 superiors would be more than enough to get you in if you can perform that in the exam. I mean it is the best score you can get. Great Job!

dayfly

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2021, 12:27:37 am »
What are the test papers like in the actual exam? Are you given a separate booklet for filling in the bubbles? Are you allowed to write on the booklet that contains the questions? What kind of pencil is used?

JZou276

• Trailblazer
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2021, 02:07:12 pm »
In the test, they give you a booklet with the questions and your answer sheet. They don't give you working out paper for maths or nr, they say you can only do your working out on the back of the answer sheet. You can't write anything in the booklet. For pencils, just use HB or 2B. Use those good erasers that don't smudge the whole page.

Einsteinium

• Trailblazer
  • Cricket
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2021, 05:30:50 pm »
In the test, they give you a booklet with the questions and your answer sheet. They don't give you working out paper for maths or nr, they say you can only do your working out on the back of the answer sheet. You can't write anything in the booklet. For pencils, just use HB or 2B. Use those good erasers that don't smudge the whole page.

So does this mean no annotating on the paper, no underlining, crossing out potential answers or working out on the actual booklet itself? Are our names on each individual booklet as well? Just worrying as a big part of my exam technique is things such as annotating or underlining or crossing out. How did other people manage this?
“People Who Are Crazy Enough To Think They Can Change The World, Are The Ones Who Do.” – Rob Siltanen

Weirdobtsarmy

• Forum Regular
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2021, 11:19:24 pm »
So does this mean no annotating on the paper, no underlining, crossing out potential answers or working out on the actual booklet itself? Are our names on each individual booklet as well? Just worrying as a big part of my exam technique is things such as annotating or underlining or crossing out. How did other people manage this?
yes unfortunately you cannot write in the booklet as far as I can remember, but I lightly wrote annotations and rubbed it out in the end, but I wouldn't recommend this since it really cost me a lot of time lol. Yes I think your individual names are on the booklet too. Honestly the only tests you really need to annotate for are the mathematics and numerical reasoning tests, which is done on the back of the bubble sheet.

OckTheOctopus

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2021, 04:00:36 pm »
Hey,
If we get a persuasive writing piece this year, would we be allowed to make up statistics to sell our point if we don't know the real statistic?

Einsteinium

• Trailblazer
  • Cricket
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2021, 11:09:53 am »
Yay, we got a canceled test. Lets goo. *sarcastic tone*
“People Who Are Crazy Enough To Think They Can Change The World, Are The Ones Who Do.” – Rob Siltanen

OckTheOctopus

• Trailblazer
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2021, 07:49:53 pm »
Yay, we got a canceled test. Lets goo. *sarcastic tone*

Nope, just delayed until August :/

Although I hear that they may cancel the writing section that they did last year. As a person who can barely hold a pencil, that will definitely help me.

id_in_progress

• Forum Regular
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2021, 09:43:12 am »
Quote from: OckTheOctopus link=topic=191567.msg1193112#msg1193112 date=1623750593
Although I hear that they [i
may[/i] cancel the writing section that they did last year. As a person who can barely hold a pencil, that will definitely help me.
We had our test novemberish so because there wasn't any time to mark them they cancelled it. Since yours is in August, I don't think they'd be planning to do the same. Anyway good luck since the writing section is what toughens up the competition. Here's a tip - use pen when writing. 🤞 for u guys, hopefully there is no writing.

If you need any help pm me.

OckTheOctopus

• Trailblazer
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2021, 06:59:17 pm »
We had our test novemberish so because there wasn't any time to mark them they cancelled it. Since yours is in August, I don't think they'd be planning to do the same. Anyway good luck since the writing section is what toughens up the competition. Here's a tip - use pen when writing. 🤞 for u guys, hopefully there is no writing.

If you need any help pm me.

Thanks for the tips!  :)

Why pens though? I've always used pencil since I can easily erase or cross out any mistakes I make. Do pens have a higher WPM/ergonomic build?

id_in_progress

• Forum Regular
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2021, 08:17:21 am »
+1
Thanks for the tips!  :)

Why pens though? I've always used pencil since I can easily erase or cross out any mistakes I make. Do pens have a higher WPM/ergonomic build?

Nah it’s nothing like that. Apparently it’s very annoying for the markers to read pencil and pen is preferred. Pencil marks can seem extremely messy and difficult to read. It’s up to you on whether you want to use pen or pencil.